ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Bouncebacks no more?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/09/22 06:01 PM Views: 3420 Replies: 15
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 6:01 PM

I was in conversation with some other Admin’s this past week, and the topic of ‘bouncebacks’ came up, and we all agreed that we had not seen a bounceback in some time.
The last post I found about them in Help & Tips was Wednesday, November 10, 2021.
I tested the ‘bounceback’ feature myself, sending an email to a known, invalid email.
Date & time sent: 08/07/22 04:22 PM
I have not gotten a bounceback notice yet, it is now over 48 hours later.
Is this something that CC no longer supports?
In my modest opinion, a very valid and valuable tool/feature of the CC software, and I would hate to see it go away.
While realize member can choose NOT to receive emails, messages, etc. from the site, it is important for the admins to know WHEN an email is no longer valid, and THEN, we can take action to contact the member via phone, snail mail, etc.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:50 PM - Response #1

Steve,
The last post I know of was a little over a month ago in late June of this year {HERE}. Page down to see the latest.

This continuing saga is frustrating since dependable bounces are a valuable tool we can no longer depend on. We've proved that the problem exists, shown that it started when changes were made during (or shortly after) the migration, and shown how easy it is to test and recreate failing bounces.

We've offered compelling evidence about how and why the problem still exists, the small number of conditions where bounces still work (and why), and we've seen no evidence that the tests and the results we've documented were duplicated - or resulted in any changes.

Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 11:01 PM - Response #2

I've given up testing and hints to CC to let us help this issueRolling Eyes.

The only reliable method is to use YOUR email provider and send a test message.

Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 5:17 PM - Response #3

'Bump'

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 11:13 AM - Response #4

I just checked in my Email the Class - the link to Bouncebacks is not there now. Is there a new way to view them now??

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 11:51 AM - Response #5

If you are logged in this link will appear if you have any bounces.

https://www.classcreator.com/Minneapolis...min_bounces_list.cfm

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM - Response #6

To be clear - where would the link appear? Homepage or Email the Class page top right?

(I haven't had any bouncebacks for months, and that seems odd, even tho we're a 'newbie' class creator user.I do know that as suggested above, I had sent a BCC email to unregistered people in April directly from Gmail and got several (5 I think) that were bouncebacks in GMail, but not on CC)

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 2:02 PM - Response #7

Home Page top right where other admin notices are. It also appears on the Email the Class if there are any.

If you have any bounces from gmail still you can forward them to info@classcreator.com. I have reported to Google that we may not be receiving all of their bounces and they said they no longer send them for addresses that never existed - they do send them if there is a full email box or if the address has been cancelled. I don't think that policy will last. We shouldn't be sending to addresses that don't exist more than once and the only way for us to know is if they bounce it to us.

Jessica

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 2:34 PM - Response #8

Jessica, as I wrote, starting this thread earlier in the month, I send an email from the class site to a known INVALID email address. Never got a bounce-back.

I tried this link, [substituting my class name] -

https://www.classcreator.com/Brazosport 1970/class_admin_bounces_list.cfm

which did not work.
What should I try for my site?

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 4:09 PM - Response #9

Jessica jessica wrote:

I have reported to Google that we may not be receiving all of their bounces and they said they no longer send them for addresses that never existed - they do send them if there is a full email box or if the address has been cancelled.
Jessica

Jessica, I don't know who told you that, but I just repeated the test I'd done multiple times over the last year and got the same bounce/reject message returned...

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 4:57 PM - Response #10

Same as what John just posted. I think Jessica you are misinterpreting what they are saying. They do indeed send back exactly the same message that John just posted.

Just sent to junk@sbsoftware.com:

Thursday, August 18, 2022 at 12:02 AM - Response #11

Our mail is considered bulk or list emails. I'm not sure if they handle that type of message in another way. I know we are getting bounces from gmail, however, as I stated above we are not getting the same volume of bounces that we were before. They stated our configuration for the bounces address is correct and that they are seeing messages being sent back to us (I see them as well and we are processing everything they are sending).

This is still a work in progress. They have specific test addresses they have provided us and we are working with them directly. It can sometimes take a while for them to respond to our questions and provide additional feedback. At this time they have not had us make any changes. I'm assuming there are changes to come, however, until they are defined all we can do is continue to notify and update them and continue to process what they are sending.

They did tell me to report back email addresses that were actual addresses in the past if they no longer exist and are not bouncing - that is why I asked for that type of specific example above. I'm trying to give them as much information as possible to continue to work with them to get this resolved.

Jessica

Friday, February 9, 2024 at 4:48 PM - Response #12

I am not getting bouncebacks at all. Has this issue been resolved and, if so, can you please explain to me how to use this feature?

Friday, February 9, 2024 at 10:09 PM - Response #13

not resolved

Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 10:33 AM - Response #14

We're having a function this September (a '70th Birthday Bash'), and I decided to do the followup sending directly from our Gmail (50 BCC at a time) specifically for this purpose. I did this 2 years ago for our 50th and came up with 7 that "email the class" didn't catch. It's laborious, but worth it to find inoperative emails. But, as Jessica stated, emailing out of Class Creator, we are indeed a 'bulk' emailer, so I guess doing an email directly from our Gmail every now & then is my best method of checking. As we're turning 70 this year, I pay attention to any email addresses that appear to be business emails of retired Mates.

That said, it's still less hassle than the old postcard route. (Postcards, kids - this is when you used to go to a place called a "Post Office", and then . . . . )Smile

Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 12:33 PM - Response #15

Thanks for your insights. I am not an IT guy so don’t really know what to do. The last time I sent a message to our whole class list of 275 people there were zero bounces. That can’t be right! I’m left with our Facebook, help from our school district alumni association, and word of mouth to help us get the word out.

David

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.