ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Duplicate Files - Option to Cancel or Insert the Existing Image, File or Photo

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 12/30/16 02:56 PM Views: 1466 Replies: 11
Friday, December 30, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Currently, when we begin to upload a file, image or photo, the system tells us that a file with that name already exists, automatically adds a suffix number and uploads the file. Could I request the Option to Cancel the Upload at that point?

Ideally, the options:
1) Cancel the Upload
2) Insert the existing file at this location (assuming you're uploading to Insert an Image)
3) Copy the existing file location/URL to the Clipboard

Thanks

Edited 12/30/16 10:07 PM
Friday, December 30, 2016 at 3:19 PM - Response #1

I will look into this but do not know if it will gain traction.

Friday, December 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM - Response #2

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

I will look into this but do not know if it will gain traction.

Thanks for the consideration. I'd think, at least the option to cancel might be fairly easy. Hope so anyway.

Friday, December 30, 2016 at 3:59 PM - Response #3

I will let you know what I hear back.

Friday, December 30, 2016 at 5:01 PM - Response #4

If this actually gets looked at it should bring up a dialog OPTION to replace the existing file vs adding the suffix junk. One could also cancel, although if it's the same file, doesn't hurt anything.

I very often upload replacements on purpose - it's a royal PIA to delete and then upload. Replacement is how NORMAL file maintenance is done. Imagine if CC had to delete before uploading replacements as it updated files. Shocked

This is not CC code, so forward that to the developers at least as a config option for a user. Pretty duck simple code change.

Edited 12/30/16 5:01 PM
Friday, December 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM - Response #5

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

If this actually gets looked at it should bring up a dialog OPTION to replace the existing file vs adding the suffix junk. One could also cancel, although if it's the same file, doesn't hurt anything.

Pretty duck simple code change.

Excellent option Jack. I'd think Cancel or Replace would be simple programming, inserting the existing image would require a simple "IF THEN routine" to determine if the user is trying to insert the image once it is uploaded, or simply upload to the vault, but even this should be fairly straightforward.

Hopefully it will gain traction.

The current option results in two duplicates in the vault, but separate images on two pages, delete one of the duplicates, and one of the pages gets it's link broken. This would be a great convenience if they decide to do it.

Edited 12/30/16 10:11 PM
Friday, December 30, 2016 at 10:38 PM - Response #6

Jack is correct that the mechanism is built outside of our control and will require us to submit a ticket for review to see if it can even be implemented. I would not expect quick action on this one. It is in our programmers hands right now for initial review. I will let you know what I find out.

Friday, February 3, 2017 at 6:51 AM - Response #7

This task has been updated by the programmer. There is now a new feature on the Preferences page.

If you upload a file which already exists (i.e. "reunion.jpg"), the normal procedure is to create a new sequentially named file (i.e. "reunion (1).jpg"), which prevents the original from being overwritten. If you wish to overwrite files, select "Overwrite Files" below. No warning will be given inside the file vault that a file is about to be overwritten, so this should only be selected by advanced users.

o Do NOT Overwrite Files
o Overwrite Files

Friday, February 3, 2017 at 6:52 AM - Response #8

This task has been updated by the programmer. There is now a new feature on the Preferences page.

If you upload a file which already exists (i.e. "reunion.jpg"), the normal procedure is to create a new sequentially named file (i.e. "reunion (1).jpg"), which prevents the original from being overwritten. If you wish to overwrite files, select "Overwrite Files" below. No warning will be given inside the file vault that a file is about to be overwritten, so this should only be selected by advanced users.

o Do NOT Overwrite Files
o Overwrite Files

Friday, February 3, 2017 at 10:41 AM - Response #9

That is a major improvement! Thank you all!

It took me a minute to realize I had to set my Preferences Page, but once I set it to Overwrite I tried it out.

I was concerned that the overwritten image might get a new URL that would disable the prior image on the original page, however those fears were unfounded. Setting it to Overwrite gives the identical URL, the prior pages AND the new page both show the same image, and you do not have any duplicates in the Vault.

Bravo!

Thanks!

Edited 02/03/17 11:41 AM
Friday, February 3, 2017 at 11:21 AM - Response #10

Gary,

In order to be a duplicate, the file has to be found at the exact same directory and be called the exact same thing. If you are uploading the exact same file name but at a different directory, the system will not detect that. Thus old links will not be broken.

With this new option turned off (the default), the system will only rename the file with the "(1)" or "(2)" if the file is found in the exact same directory.
With the new option activated, the system will detect a duplicate filename, only if found in the current directory that you are uploading it to, and overwrite that file. Any links to that file should still work because the file name is exactly the same.

Friday, February 3, 2017 at 11:43 AM - Response #11

Thanks Kyle,

I'd just tested and updated my comment as you were writing yours. It works great! Thank you guys!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.