ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

EDITING A COMMENT

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/05/12 10:53 AM Views: 1144 Replies: 7
Monday, November 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

What is the practice regarding editing? As administrator, I replaced the name of a deceased teacher with the generic "teacher" when the comment was unflattering. There was no problem. In another case, a classmate wrote of an incident that was damaging about another classmate (also deceased). The writer raised legal issues when I replaced the deceased person's name with "a football player." Did I overstep my bounds?

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM - Response #1

You did your duty. Unfortunately, every group has those who don't think things through. Freedom of speech is not a issue on a website. There have to be rules and they are for the site first. We have banned politics on ours. It got very unfriendly so we stopped it. Of course there were some hard feeling with the people doing it but it settled down. We heard the usual "freedome of speech" thing, but we stood our ground. I hate being a monitor. I hated what they were willing to do with our site even more. You'd be surprised how many thanked us. You did your job.

Edited 11/05/12 11:09 AM
Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM - Response #2

It is my thought that since you are site admin, you have the right to edit anything you might find inappropriate in any way. I will be interested in what others say too. If a classmate "threatened" me in any way, I have the right to block them right out of the site.

If you want to look at my site, feel free to do this and go to the link "How to use this site" and the verbiage there at the top (like a terms of service) I believe deals with anything like that. My classmates have been excellent thus far.

That said, I have edited some of their comments, correcting OBVIOUS spelling errors, but leaving the gist of what is said alone. I feel that sometimes that their descriptions reveal who and what they are, and I can't change that. For instance, last night I was looking at a profile and the man was telling of his wife dying of brest [sic] cancer. He really just probably overlooked this...he CAN spell! I probably should change that and no one will ever say a thing.

In other cases, it's best to leave well enough alone. I think much of the time I go back to MY relationship with the person. I know I could change that word [brest] and he would be fine. Others might look as me being nit-picky.

But when it comes to offensive language or subjects, I rule! I have made that clear, I have two assistants that know how to do this too, but they follow my values in this.

Would love to hear what others say.

Denise

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM - Response #3

At the top of our home page, I have what I call a 'purpose statement' for the site.
All of 130 words.
I think something along these lines would address the 'negative' comments, and yes, I have eliminated a few negative comments, but that was shortly after I started the site.

As my parents taught me:
"If You Can't Say Something Nice, Then Don't Say Anything At All."

Until the Reunion Committee removes me, this is the stand I am taking on our site! LOL

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM - Response #4

Steve,

Would you please share the HTML code for your leaf background?
Thanks,
Anita

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM - Response #5
fall-leaves-colorful-green-31000.jpg

I need to remember how I did that! LOL

http://s3images.classcreator.com/11515/000/3.jpg?c=1

I thought it was on the Change Colors and Background Image.

How embarrassing!
I think I saved the image [attached] and then selected it in the Background Image section.

Edited 11/05/12 1:03 PM
Monday, November 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM - Response #6

That is how you change the background, Steve. Smile

Monday, November 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM - Response #7

ya

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.