ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Put link on Home Page to another page of site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/20/12 10:33 PM Views: 1712 Replies: 14
Monday, February 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I have been at it for 4+ hours, reading & re-reading every conceivable thread in forums about links, anchors, and how-to do it. For the life of me, I can't make it work. I do NOT want CC to do it for me behind the scenes. I want to know, step-by-spelled-out-step exactly how to accomplish this!

Here's my objective: From our Home Page, I want users to be able to click text (namely: "CLICK HERE")which directly takes them to another page/nav link at left (namely: "How to Use Site").

Here's what I did, over and over and over, to no avail:
(1) I highlighted "CLICK HERE".
(FYI: Since I couldn't get this to work & didn't want anyone using the site to be misled, I removed that text & just rephrased directing them to the Nav Link at left. Ergo the words, 'CLICK HERE', aren't there at the moment.)
(2) I clicked on the 'anchor flag'.
(3) I named my anchor (by typing the exact same text: CLICK HERE)
(4) I clicked OK.
(5) I clicked the Insert/Edit Link Button.
(6) I clicked the 'Target' Tab.
(7) I selected "Open in a New Window".
(Cool I entered the URL address for the 'How to Use Site' page.
(9) I selected the 'type of link' as "link to text".
(10) I clicked OK.

I saw the yellow anchor icon appear directly before 'CLICK HERE'. I saw a dotted-line box around it. The text turned blue.

I clicked 'save changes'. When I clicked on the supposed link (which became underlined, also in blue, when my cursor was on it, I was brought right back to Home Page, in the same spot.

I also tried working with the Insert/Edit Link button in reverse order (that is, I put in the 'Link Info' first, then the 'Target Info' second). It didn't matter what I did in what order. The result was the same.

Some comments in various Forum Threads referenced using code (via directly editing in Source mode) but it appeared to me that everyone else was perfectly successful NOT doing so, just using the Insert/Edit & Anchor buttons.

So, PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!! What am I missing here???

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Thanks.

Cheryl
nilehi63.com

Monday, February 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM - Response #1

right click on "How to use the site", Copy Link Location
Edit Site Pages
Edit Home Page
Select "Click Here" text
Click on LINK icon (3rd from right on 2nd row)
Paste the URL
Click the TARGET tab, choose open in new window
Save the link
Save the page contents

You don't need an anchor.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle. I followed your instructions and worked great!

I don't know, however, what you mean by 'save the link'. Once I put in the URL and went to Target Tab & chose 'new window', the dialogue box closed. Where do I 'save the link'? other than clicking on 'save changes' at bottom of my Home Page Edit screen, which I did??

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM - Response #3

You can save the link before going to the TARGET tab. That is probably where I got confused.

You did it right. (I was typing from memory, not actually doing it as I was telling you the steps)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM - Response #4

thanks again.

BTW--Just sent another question to forum. Would you mind looking at it?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM - Response #5

OK so I'm blind where is the target tab ??

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM - Response #6

The TARGET tab is part of the LINK button. When you are in one of the content editors, place your cursor inside of a link. Then click the LINK icon (3rd from right on 2nd row). Then at the very top of the new window that opens up, you should see the word TARGET. Click on that tab to enter the "target tab".

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM - Response #7

Thank you Kyle just as I thought I'm blind just didn't see it thanks a bunch for taking my hand and leading me there. You guys are awesome.

Danny Dozier Confused

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM - Response #8

I thank you again Kyle. I took all the links on the left side of the web page and moved them directly onto the web page and set them to open in a New Window. Makes for better navigation.

Thanks again
Danny DozierLaughing

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM - Response #9

Kyle Erickson wrote:

right click on "How to use the site", Copy Link Location
Edit Site Pages
Edit Home Page
Select "Click Here" text
Click on LINK icon (3rd from right on 2nd row)
Paste the URL
Click the TARGET tab, choose open in new window
Save the link
Save the page contents

You don't need an anchor.

OK KYLE You lost me on right click on "How to use the site", Location of it

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM - Response #10

It's late. I know I'm tired. Yet, I am happy I opened the email about this thread. I can cross "find this topic in the Help Forums" off my list!

Better yet... thanks for the laugh, William! It was great!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM - Response #11

The original question was to put the left-side navigational link called "How to use this site" on her home page as a link. So "right click on 'How to use the site' would be specific to her website.

The other steps are general knowledge and would not be specific to her website.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM - Response #12

Kyle: I just followed your directions to put a link on the home page to go directly to the Reunion Invitation. It worked beautiful, except, it went to my registration with all my choices. How do I get it to be blank so the classmates can fill it in with their information???? I tried deleting the ID # on the end of the URL, but that didn't solve the problem.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM - Response #13

Arlene,

If you want it blank, then log in as someone who hasn't already registered. The reason you are seeing your registration is because you already registered.

To test this out, create a fake classmate (or a guest classmate if you prefer to call it that) and then log in as that fake classmate. You will see that you will get a blank reunion invitation. you can delete the fake classmate after you do this test.

Monday, March 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM - Response #14

Thank you. I'll try that. Also, I sent you a message regarding the profile box- the attendees is not correct.
It shows 4 when in actually it is about 24 at the present time ( may be more now). Why is that?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.