ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Photo Exposure

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/12/20 01:43 PM Views: 481 Replies: 5
Monday, October 12, 2020 at 1:43 PM

We have a class member who is an accomplished professional photographer and regularly posts remarkable photos on our Message Forum. I love that he does this as I feel it encourages engagement from across our diverse and far flung high school class.

Recently he sent me this message:

"I frequently post my images in a number of places, but before I can put one on the Message Forum I have to make changes so that it will appear closer to what it looks like, not only on my website but on the other sites as well. I changed the hummingbird photo by adding .50 stop to the exposure reading, making it look way overexposed on my iMac, but okay on the WHHS site."

Clearly, he would rather not have to go through additional editing just to share the photo with classmates.

So, here is my question: when he wants to post a photo in the Message Forum, is there something he can do so he doesn't have to edit the photo first? Some non-obvious setting?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Monday, October 12, 2020 at 2:21 PM - Response #1

What is the size of the image he is posting and what format (jpg, png, etc)?

I don't know if a Message Forum Post is different (I turned ours off) but the only time images get messed with is if they exceed the CC maximum size for "images". That's why I upload to the "file vault" not the "image" vault.

Images posted to a "profile" get downsized too. I have a lot of them in my profile and they all look fine.

If the posted image is not the same size as the original image, then he should reduce the image size first.

I've never really had any problem with exposure shifts. So it could just be his own settings on his own system.

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:08 PM - Response #2

Jack,

Thank you. What is the maximum image size that works well?

Richard

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:16 PM - Response #3

He is posting jpegs. I’ll ask about the image size.

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM - Response #4

I think the forum is 700 wide without resizing. The way to tell is to use "view image" in Firefox and then use "image info" that gives you the width. Height can be more.

To figure this out, I'd have him send you the image, then upload to the File Vault (not the Image vault), then create a link to that image and ask him what he sees. That would be the exact image without any changes.

If he sees something that he thinks is not correct, it's just his system. He might be talking about how a photo editor is displaying?

I've never noticed any sort of brightness/exposure issue. I've uploaded a lot of images. Someone else can comment if you have ever had that sort of change.

Friday, October 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM - Response #5

Jack,

Thanks. I’ll try these ideas.

Richard

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.