ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Forum Sub-Topics

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/19/10 11:20 AM Views: 1518 Replies: 5
Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

In an effort to bring classmates to the Classmate Forum, I updated it today. One thing I wanted to do was to organize (move) the sub-topics under a Forum topic. It will help a great deal but was unable to find a way to do that. Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance.
Gwen

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM - Response #1

Look down at the bottom of each topic. You will see this:
Topic Moderation

* Lock this topic [Help]
* Make this topic sticky [Help]
* Make this topic an announcement [Help]
* Make this topic inactive [Help]
* Delete this topic [Help]
* Move this topic to a different forum:

Just select the MOVE THIS TOPIC TO A DIFFERENT FORUM. and it will have a drop-down to choose which forum to move it to.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM - Response #2

Kyle,
I am very familiar with the steps to move Forum topics. As I added topics today, I moved them around.

I am asking about the sub-topics. I added "Our 40th Reunion" as a topic. Under that, I added three sub-topics. The first I added is the one I want others to read this week. Come Friday/Saturday, I want it to be at the bottom of the list. It appears the sub-topics list in the order they are made. That not only is a kink now but will be in the future when some topics are not as relevant as time passes.

I have the topic open in a window to the side of this one and do not see an option to move the sub-topics. I may have to re-rewrite the topics to get them in the order I want them. Bummer.

Gwen

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM - Response #3

There is no way to move sub-topics around in the order. But you can control the order that they are read by putting up links to these sub-topics on your home page. Just add a link to the 3rd and place it first in the list on your home page. Add a link below that one and the link can be "Read this second" or something like that, and a link to the FIRST sub-topic.

The Classmate Forums are sometimes confusing to classmates. Adding links on your home page to the specific topic/subtopic you want them to see might help to make them less confusing.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM - Response #4

So the answer to my question is - no, I can not move the sub-topics by importance. Though I expected to find a move option, I can punt.

I have used links the past month when I thought it necessary. Adding links to several sub-topics is additional work. My time on this site is my gift to the class - not a paid position. I'm willing to go above and beyond but there has to be a limit, especially when full time employment is found.

A personal note: I never intend to sound negative or tacky in any posts. Should I, please understand it may be in the way it is read or I am in a hurry. Ordinarily, I would rewrite the above post to 'read/sound' better. However, my time has been cut short this week leading into our reunion by medical tests which may result in 'you can not travel' orders. So I am in a push-mode to get things done as I will lose at least one day I planned to have available to work on the site or update reunion numbers. A bigger bummer than moving sub-topics.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM - Response #5

Heh, that's quite all right Gwen. I should point out though that the way Topics are arranged hasn't been correctly stated yet. Topics are not displayed in the order they are created, rather they are displayed in order of the most recent responses to those topics. It has to work this way so people can quickly spot where the activity is. As more or more Topics are posted some of them are naturally going to die out and not have responses for a very long time. You don't want those topics intermixed with your active topics at the top of the page. If we displayed the Topics in the order they were created, most likely over time those topics would become the dead ones -- and that's what you'd have at the top of your forum pages, all the things that nobody is interested in any longer. For this reason displaying topics by date of last response is your best bet.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.