ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How To Add Students Who Are Also Teachers

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/08/11 03:14 PM Views: 1415 Replies: 5
Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Could someone tell me how I can add past students who are also a teachers. I recently discovered that about 8 people who were students at my school, went back to teach and some are still there. I would like to list them as Students but also in the Teacher category.

I wouldn't want to have them create two profiles.

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM - Response #1

Since the TEACHERS PROFILES can be different, you can say one of the questions for the teacher:

Were you also a student at YOUR HIGH SCHOOL NAME HERE?

URL of your Classmate Profile: ______________________ (hint: paste your Classmate Profile link here)

Then when the classmates click the link of their classmate profile, the browser will switch to their profile

Monday, January 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM - Response #2

I've searched as many key word combos I can think of, but can not locate where I previously read about how to link a teacher's profile to their classmate profile, yet I thought a had one such record in my multiyear site. In the detail view under Manage Classmates/Teachers, I had the exact same text entered in both of the related profiles in the Aministrator's Notes field:

"Linked profile to his faculty profile (I became a teacher. Click *html code*ahref="http://www.fhhs-alum.org/class_profile_empty.cfm?member_id=2420738">Link HERE*/a html code* to view my Teacher Profile.)"

(*html code replaces > < symbols)

I see now that the two profiles are not actually linked and how I may have misinterpreted the original suggestion (I can't even imagine now how I thought this would do anything!) Embarassed LOL Laughing This classmate/teacher has registered each profile with the same email address. Does this mean he has two passwords (one for each profile)?

Additionally, I have a few alumni who were part of one class year but graduated ahead of schedule with another class and are, thus, listed in both years. I have been asked if their names can remain listed in both years, but connected under one profile... Is this possible?

I personally see a reasonable requirement for a single login to one profile that can be listed in several tables to appear under the various attributes (i.e., belonging to more than one grad year and/or becoming a teacher at that same school)... They are, after all, only one individual, not many. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

Edited 01/14/13 4:07 PM
Monday, January 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM - Response #3

Terry,

Do this:
Click on his TEACHER PROFILE. Copy the browser address window (URL).
Edit his CLASSMATE PROFILE. Choose which field you want to modify.
Type this:
I became a teacher. Click [a href="PASTE TEACHER PROFILE HERE"]link HERE[/a] to see my teacher profile.
(NOTE: Replace "[" and "]" with the less than and greater than signs.

Save the profile, test the link.

Your example says "class_profile_empty.cfm". this was probably his address when he didn't have any information. After information is added, it isn't empty any more, so it has his real profile information.

I tried to find this classmate/teacher, but I guess you already removed the invalid codes.

The teacher can have two profiles, one classmate, one teacher. Both can use the same e-mail address (like spouses can) but require different passwords.

The only way to connect profiles is like I said above. you would need a physical link.

There is no way to combine teachers and classmates into one profile. They are different databases and different profile questions.

Monday, January 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM - Response #4

Thank you, Kyle. Somewhere (long ago) I'd gotten the idea to put the text and link into the Admin Notes field, but I see that was a brain-dead futile action on my part, and the point is only to provide a hyperlink to someone viewing his profile! Smile

I also understand that, in the current software design, the two profiles exist in separate databases (with different fields of data). Of course, it doesn't make it any easier to explain that one must pretend he is two people and create two separate login IDs, so, my suggestion is still offered as "user-friendly" feedback for consideration in future builds.

What about the classmate who appears in multiple grad years because she graduated a year early, etc.? Is there any way to add the ability to select more than one year on a classmate's profile? (Or is the year a unique key identifier in each classmate's database record?). Obviously this is a lower priority need, but not a completely infrequent occurrence.

Thank you!
Terry

Monday, January 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM - Response #5

Kyle Erickson wrote:

...Click on his TEACHER PROFILE. Copy the browser address window (URL).
Edit his CLASSMATE PROFILE. Choose which field you want to modify.
Type this:
I became a teacher. Click [a href="PASTE TEACHER PROFILE HERE"]link HERE[/a] to see my teacher profile.
(NOTE: Replace "[" and "]" with the less than and greater than signs...

I'm now thinking I may have done this before and that the admin note was just a reference to my action (saves my sanity anyway!). Probably he deleted it when he updated his profile. I think I will check with him before I edit his profile again. Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.