ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate deleted yearbook photo

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/12/14 12:08 PM Views: 2944 Replies: 16
Friday, September 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The yearbook photo and some of her posts have been deleted.Is it possible for a classmate to delete her yearbook photo? She has some very limited admin capabilities.

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM - Response #1

If she has admin permissions that include the Manage Classmates area, then she does have the permissions needed for editing classmate profiles, which would include deleting profile posts.

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM - Response #2

Manage Classmates was not one of her admin functions. She did have Edit Site Pages, which I have since removed.

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM - Response #3

Just adding my two-cents for clarity, and you probably already know that any classmate can remove his/her yearbook photo from his/her own profile page. Sometimes in an email, certain facts are assumed and overlooked. If everyone already knew what I just said, feel free to throw a pie in my face, okay? Smile

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM - Response #4

I was under the impression that only admins had control of yearbook photos. So Tim, you are saying this is not the case? Scott, do you concur?

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM - Response #5

I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. I am saying that all classmates have control over their own profile page which includes all pictures. However, only Admins can edit the profile pages or pictures on profile pages other than their own, because only admins have access to "Manage Classmates." I don't believe that excludes the yearbook picture. If I'm wrong about this, I will be on the lookout for the pie! Smile

Edited 09/12/14 1:45 PM
Friday, September 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM - Response #6

Tim is correct.

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM - Response #7

Whoa! That's different. I'm not used to that. I'm married! Hee hee! Smile

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM - Response #8

Somehow it is still wrong even though you are right. I get it. I'm married too.

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM - Response #9

Yes. If a married man says something in a forest, and there is no one around to hear it, is he still wrong? Smile

Friday, September 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM - Response #10

This represents a change from previous policy/functionality and must have been introduced when the social profile was activated. Accordingly, I consider it to be a bug and will report it there if that will be more appropriate.

A classmate should have no access at all to the yearbook photo at the top of the profile. We have been advised/assured on several occasions that this is the case and it wasn't until Dale started this thread that I investigated and found that classmates do have the ability to make changes.

Edited 09/12/14 9:33 PM
Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM - Response #11

Respectfully, I disagree. The profile page for each classmate is for him or her to decide what he wants on it. That page belongs to the registered classmate, in my opinion. If the classmate prefers to not have his yearbook picture on his profile page, I believe he should have the right to that decision. We have a registered classmate that wants nothing to do with the website. He wanted his picture removed and any information deleted. We were sad to see him go, but we felt that his feelings should be honored.
Certainly the admin has the right to decide if what is on someone's page is inappropriate. Again, this is the opinion of our committee, not just mine alone. I would hope that most would leave their yearbook picture on their profile page, as that is how they are most remembered by their classmates.

Sunday, September 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM - Response #12

Yes, not worth the potential trouble if someone doesn't want their yearbook picture posted.

We had one person that removed their yearbook picture and posted a current one instead. Guess they didn't like their picture. I don't like mine either - ours had the stupid cap Embarassed

Some of the women wanted a 'professional' picture taken for a dance or something similar from the same time. So we did that too.

And one guy thinks that somebody might be after him since he was a fire inspector - so no picture for him. Mind you he doesn't look anything like he did in school Rolling Eyes

Sunday, September 14, 2014 at 1:19 AM - Response #13

FC is right. For better or worse, we were assured that yearbook pictures were an admin-only function, and at one time only accessable via the Edit Classmates page - although I vaguely remember some discussion after the Social profile was introduced where an admin uploaded yearbook photo was 'still there' ?somewhere? if a member deleted or replaced it. Kinda like some admin entered Contact Detail info which can be overwritten by a member but is stll retained.

As far as what I'd like to see, yearbook pictures should still be an admn-only function. There's one exception to that rule I'd agree to - where we didn't have one to upload. Where there was no yearbook photo, I'd find it acceptable for a member to be able to add one. I have a member who just did that, and I appreciated it.

But as I think it used to be - and still should be - yearbook pictures were an admin function. And if we've uploaded a yearbook picture and a classmate doesn't like it, they're free to give us a replacement - or ask us to delete it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM - Response #14

This whole thing started when one of our class chairpersons managed to convince a number of our class that anything posted on our website is visible to the whole world. She tried to post an announcement to that effect, which I did not approve. She then included it in a post, saying her announcement was not approved. I responded to that post, saying her announcement contained invalid information, and was not approved for that reason. Now, she has deleted all of her profile pictures, and all of her posts. My concern now, is she may be contacting other classmates to do the same. I have already had one phone call to remove a classmate's information

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM - Response #15

There's always going to be those who are firmly settled in the old "Don't confuse me with the facts. I've already made up my mind." Check my site's 'Privacy Notice' at the bottom of the home page. It has helped to counter early member concerns about what can be viewed by outside visitors and search engines. And I do have most pages (including the class profile list) locked if they contained any personal info or joined member names.

Don't forget that all classmates have the option in their profiles to share their data with the outside world. CC can remove that option if requested, forcing all profiles to be locked.

Edited 09/16/14 2:51 PM
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM - Response #16

Dale, sorry to hear about all the drama you're experiencing. My situation has been completely the opposite. In over six years no classmate has expressed much concern about having their privacy compromised. Must be because we are so much older than you and your classmates.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.