ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Cut & Paste

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/02/11 11:24 AM Views: 1327 Replies: 4
Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I have been trying to cut and paste some obituarys into our new web site in the "in Memory" pages. I copy the obit from the word file and go to past it and the box comes up and says paste from work but it never opens and lets me past the obit.

I tried this using a classmates profile and it past fine, then I copy fron the profie into the "In Memory" Page and it works fine.

anybody got any ideas, is there something going on right now, I heard there is a big new version coming?

Thanks

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM - Response #1

My only thought on this is that you might be using IE9... this sounds similar to issues we've been having with that browser.

Another option you have is to Copy from MS word and Paste it into a Notepad document, and then Copy from Notepad and paste directly into the Editor Window. This will remove all the bad code that MS Word includes. You will need to do some minor formatting once you paste your content in, but the process should work.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM - Response #2

You are correct, IE9, should I reload IE8 or would that be more trouble that it is worth? I had found the work around, just wondering why it worked in a profile page and not the in memory page?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM - Response #3

The workaround is usually to turn on the Compatibility View (top-menus, TOOLS, then select the "Compatibility View" from the IE9 Tools/drop-down menu.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM - Response #4

Compatibility mode just refuses to even recognize the paste buttons (text or word). However, this isn't exactly an IE9 problem, but is instead the FCKeditor. The editor is not "picking up" what to do correctly.

When one codes javascript, you have to detect the browser/features and respond accordingly. This is not a foolproof process and as things evolve the code may have to be modified. There are many ways to detect browsers and some are not the "right" way, even though they worked before. (This also applies to CC custom code.)

IOW, once you get the newer CKeditor installed, this will all fix itself since the new version works fine with IE9.

So hurry up and get 3 releasedCool

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.