ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Privacy Level Conflict?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/13/10 11:32 AM Views: 2587 Replies: 16
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Members of the site appropriately set the level of privacy they want for their profile information. As administrator I set access level for the public pages. I've run into what I see as a conflict.

For the first time we just had a member classmate pass away. As administrator I've allowed complete access to the In Memory area. In the not too distant past Class Creator added a very nice feature, a link to the profile of the deceased classmate. It turns out that if the classmate had restricted access to their profile to other logged on members this restriction now applies to their In Memory page too.

I would like very much for the public to be able to see obituary information and comments that others might leave for the deceased classmate. Would it be possible for Class Creator to make a general change and "move" the point at which the classmate level of privacy is invoked to the link to the profile at the bottom of the In Memory page?

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM - Response #1

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. If I am, why not just click your Manage Classmates link and remove the privacy restriction directly at the Classmate Profile level? This way, if you leave your In Memory page public, anyone can read obit info and comments that have been posted below the obit, and the link back to the last known Profile will also work for 100% of the readers. My only other suggestion would be obviously make sure there's nothing in the original Classmate Profile that would bother the family by now being made public. You may need to edit that Profile in some fashion before you remove the privacy restriction.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM - Response #2

I can understand and appreciate that the suggested change may be too difficult to implement. However, even though deceased, I consider the preferences of the classmate should be respected. I would not be comfortable with changing either the content or privacy level of the profile.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 2:33 PM - Response #3

I don't think I undersatnd the suggested change. What are you recommending we change specifically? Once a Classmate has been marked deceased, dialogue is going to happen on the In Memory page, no longer the Classmate Profile page. If you leave the In Memory entry public then anyone would be able to view the page and read the discussion underneath. Maybe we should change it so a comment can no longer be posted at the Profile level after somebody has been marked deceased? This would ensure the only discussion that can happen would take place on the In Memory page itself.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM - Response #4

Looking at it from a user's perspective I don't believe I'm suggesting any change to the current funtionality of the site but from a programmer's perspective perhaps I am.

I see the In Memory entry as being distinct from the profile when in fact it may not be. Therefore, my conception is that the link (Click here to see Classmate's last Profile entry) at the bottom of the classmate's In Memory entry is pointing to the pre-existing profile, a separate entity. It is at this point, when one is trying to access the profile via this link, that I would like the classmate selected privacy levels to be invoked.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM - Response #5

They already are though. For instance, if you as the Admin leave the Clasmate's In Memory entry open to the public, anyone could then read it. But if the reader then attempts to click the link to enter into Profile, and assuming the Classmate had left the Profile restricted prior to passing away, they would only be able to gain access to that Profile if they are already logged into the site. A non logged in viewer (the public) would be blocked.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM - Response #6

That's not the way my site works. If I am not logged on I am denied access to the In Memory entry for the recently deceased classmate.

Edited 01/13/10 3:25 PM
Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM - Response #7

Should I report this as a bug?

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 12:19 PM - Response #8

No. If you want the public to be able to view your In Memory section, you need to remove the checkmark in the Password column next to your In Memory page.

Edited 01/17/10 12:20 PM
Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM - Response #9

The In Memory page is not password protected now nor has it ever been.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM - Response #10

I've tried everything you've suggested to no avail. The site still does respond either as I think it should or as you indicate it should. Is there a next step that I should take?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM - Response #11

The way it works now is the IN MEMORY for the classmate is tied to the privacy of the classmate (if they have ONLY CLASSMATES CAN VIEW, then only classmates can view the obituary and discussions that happen for the classmate on the IN MEMORY page). If there is a PREVIOUS PROFILE for the classmate, since only logged in classmates can view the obituary page, only logged in classmates can view the PREVIOUS PROFILE.

The way FC Bock wants it to work is that if the IN MEMORY page is not password protected, anyone can click on the deceased classmate's name and read the obituary and participate in the discussion going on for the IN MEMORY page, but if a link to view the last known PROFILE ENTRY exists, if the classmate had "ONLY CLASSMATES CAN VIEW", then you would need to be logged in to view the profile of the classmate.

Did I explain it right?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 4:56 PM - Response #12

Yes

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM - Response #13

Oops, sorry folks, I'm afraid I lead you astray on this one. That's the way it USED to work. Just guessing, but I bet somebody phoned in awhile back needing to set individual permissions on In Memory entries, rather than having 1 password restriction apply to all In Memory entries. So we just tied it to the Classmate Profile restrictions already in place, which seems like a reasonable bandaid that would allow people to individually restrict In Memory entries.

The problem with that, of course, is now you can't leave a specific In Memory entry open to the public, but BLOCK the public from clicking on the auto-appended link back to the last known Profile (if that Profile was either restricted bythe Classmate him or herself, or the Admin finds it necessary to restrict that Profile).

The simple solution of course is to add a new restrictions setting right on the In Memory input screen itself, thus severing the tie between the In Memory entery and the restrictions applied on the former Profile. The way we have it set up right now isn't intuitive at all anyway, not to mention we're going to have (and have surely had) nasty scenarios where an Admin leaves the entire In Memory page open to the public deliberately, thinking all the while that all In Memory entries are viable by everyone. Because they're still logged in, they're never going to realize the In Memory entry they just added thinking it was public is actually not public because it's still being restricted by a setting from a completely different area of the system. Not good, we'll have to fix this, thanks for pointing this out.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM - Response #14

I view this as a relatively low priority but is there a guess as to when this might be implemented?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM - Response #15

This has been implemented.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM - Response #16

Thanks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.