ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Printing In Memory list

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/28/15 07:57 PM Views: 1039 Replies: 15
Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Is there a way to get a printout of the In Memory list?
I don't want a copy of the .cfm, I want the individual lines.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM - Response #1

The only way I can think of is to use the mouse and select the lines you want and then use cut/copy and then paste them into a word processor and then print them.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:24 PM - Response #2

Copy and paste is one way, and works well if you plan to change anything. However you can also use the snipping tool to get a screenshot of the actual page. I use it a lot on various projects.

http://download.cnet.com/s/snipping-tool

Edited 11/28/15 9:25 PM
Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM - Response #3
Into EXCEL.pdf

I've had success with pulling up the list I want (In Memory, in this case) and just copying the list by placing the cursor above the word "CLASSMATES", holding the shift key, scrolling to the bottom, then copy... I usually paste into Excel because I usually want to get rid of the icons (comments, flag, etc), parse the info into different columns (to get rid of info I don't want) and then removing the hyperlinks (Excel has a way to remove them all in a few clicks vs. individually). Another reason for using Excel is that (in my experience) copy/paste into Word using IE or Chrome brings the material over on a blue background while Firefox does not - none bring the blue background into Excel (see attached). If there is anything here that may be of use/interest, please feel free to email me via the forum and we can continue to experiment offline then share our findings with the forum. On the other hand, please excuse me if I've misunderstood your need and/or underestimated your experience level. I'm still learning. Mark

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM - Response #4

Kyle,
I tried that, first from the displayed screen of In Memory and could only select the entire list. Then I tried to select single lines from the edit page link under Edit Site Pages and got single lines but with background colors when I tried to paste into a text file.
I don't have Word so I used LibreOffice, selecting the entire list from Edit Site Pages, and that would work but it would take way too much fiddling to get the list I would like. I was hoping for some way to download just names similar to downloading classmates.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM - Response #5

Mark,
I am not quite with you on the 'copying by placing the cursor above 'CLASSMATES' statement. I don't have a CLASSMATES in my display of In Memory.
I did get the entire list from Edit Site Pages and pasted it into LibreOffice (I use a Mac not Windows) without getting background colors, but did get gray spacers and | characters between fields and things like that.
Getting rid of them was a bit too much of a hassle.
I could type the fields I want from the list faster than trying to edit each line.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM - Response #6

Sorry about that ... and besides my not being a MAC user, I may not be understanding exactly what you're objective is ... however, if all you want is a list of the deceased classmates are you able to get what you need from "Manage Classmates" and selecting "Deceased Classmates" under "DOWNLOAD CLASS LISTS"?

If that doesn't do it and you're still looking, if you have a sample or mock-up of what you're end product looks like that might be helpful.

I am thinking about MAC for the next purchase, though.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM - Response #7

Not sure exactly what was tried. Have you tried this?

1. Hold down the CTRL key and click on the right side characters like "deceased" (not the link), Repeat the cick for each line while holding down the CTRL key.

2. When you get done, right click (or press CTRL+C) - whatever equivalent is on a MAC.

3. Paste in a pure TEXT editor - like TextEdit or one of the free ones. Do not use an editor made for 'formatting' text.

Earl Porter wrote:

Kyle,
I tried that, first from the displayed screen of In Memory and could only select the entire list. Then I tried to select single lines from the edit page link under Edit Site Pages and got single lines but with background colors when I tried to paste into a text file.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 5:57 PM - Response #8

Earl Porter wrote:

I was hoping for some way to download just names similar to downloading classmates.

If all you really want is a list of the names for those In Memory, do a class download (Manage Classmates), checking only the Deceased Classmates box - and the name, plus any other specific field you want such as "Year Deceased".

Or download everyone and every field into a spreadsheet (if you don't already have one) and sort the spreadsheet by the "Member Type" column. You can then quickly delete any rows which aren't Deceased Classmates, and any columns you don't need, and save the result.

Edited 11/29/15 5:59 PM
Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 6:07 PM - Response #9

I think he wanted only a partial list ("could only select the entire list") so he wouldn't have to 'edit' the list? Wasn't clear on that section.

But one of the above should work.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 8:55 AM - Response #10

Content deleted

Edited 11/30/15 10:59 PM
Monday, November 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM - Response #11

Thanks to all you that replied.
I did get the list I wanted plus a couple of more ways that are really helpful for future lists...e.g., downloading from manage classmates and the CTL selecting of partial lines. The list provided by Kyle is what I ended up with that I could modify to have only the fields I needed.
I am creating a CVS list for loading into a MYSQL database.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM - Response #12

let me know when you are done with it and I will edit my post and delete the names in the list.

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM - Response #13

It is interesting that the some of the dates show up as smiley-face-sunglasses in the forums. I guess the "8" and ")" get converted to sunglasses-smiley-face

Monday, November 30, 2015 at 10:31 PM - Response #14

Okay, Kyle, delete away,,,I have everything I wanted.
Thanks!

Edited 11/30/15 10:31 PM
Monday, November 30, 2015 at 10:59 PM - Response #15

Ok,it is gone

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.