ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Slide Out & Drop Down Menus & Firefox vs. IE

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/19/13 01:50 PM Views: 3766 Replies: 19
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I have a question about slide out (drop down) menus and Internet Explorer.
I personally used Firefox and when building a new versions of our site with Firefox I created a number of slide out (drop down) menus. Some of them are five or 6 lines long. Everything worked fine in Firefox.

I was then informed that the "longer" parts of the drop down menus were being totally or partially hidden (behind) by the You tube videos that already existed on a page. This only happened with IE and not Firefox.
Thus I had to create a large space between the first and second you tube videos on our home page so that classmates using IE could see all of the drop down menus when they clicked on the Archive button on the left. The lower You tube video would "hide" parts of the drop down.

If you guys at class creator were to access our account and go to the memory page (accessed) through the classmates general button you will see a slide show of our deceased classmates. Then while still on the memory page if you were to click on the pictures general button and then slide your cursor to the right to the School Pictures arrow you will see that the slide show "blocks" out much of the drop down menu when using IE. This does not happen with Firefox. In Firefox the drop down menus will appear IN FRONT of the slide shows or any You Tubes. Any idea as to why? And if so what can be done so that the people using IE don't get the "block out".
Rich

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Response #1

Indeed. This is an issue. I will pass it to programming now. Thanks for reporting.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM - Response #2

Okay. I already heard back from the programmer. This is not an issue on our end but rather, yours. In this case, the flash that is embedded needs the following added into the embed code: wmode="opaque"

I have already added it for the first flash slide show on the In Memory page. You will need to add it to the other instances where there is an overlap issue.

Look for the end > just before the close /embed tag that is surrounded by <>. Copy and paste wmode="opaque" and paste it just before the >

Save the page and it will work.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM - Response #3

He's talking about the YouTube videos, not the flash you corrected

Quote:

partially hidden (behind) by the You tube videos

I can't duplicate this overlap issue using IE10 or in any of the modes it supposedly emulates, so MS has fixes in emulation modes?

But I can duplicate using Safari and Opera for the YouTube videos.

Even using the new (and more desired) iframe YouTube code where there is no such override available. Could be an issue of z-order that somehow translates different in IE and for sure in the browsers that fail?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM - Response #4

The solution works when I add it to the embed code for the YouTube video as well.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM - Response #5

Sure, for the OLD embed code.

My point is that there is no embed for iframe Scott that I know about. IOW, how are you going to fix the NEW and better way of showing videos?

I think there's an issue with CC z-order here.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM - Response #6

Hey Scott & Jack,
I am not as well versed as you guys with all of the code stuff.
Here is another (maybe simplistic or naive) question.

When I initially created my drop down menus with Firefox why would everything read and show okay with the drop down menus appearing IN FRONT OF THE YOU TUBE VIDEO (and not behind it)on the home page when that Video was immediately below the school picture and not moved way down as I have it now. At the time I created the drop down menus I did not have to do what you suggested below:

Look for the end > just before the close /embed tag that is surrounded by <>. Copy and paste wmode="opaque" and paste it just before the >

I did not have to do what you suggested immediately above to correct the problem with IE when I created it with Firefox. I did not even know a problem existed until some classmates told me about the YouTube blocking out the drop downs.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM - Response #7

Did a quick check and the issue is a z-index issue, but it's caused by YouTube - it wants to "float" in a window above other stuff.

Technically wmode=opaque creates Flash objects in the page rather than in a window above the page. This results in a faster display since there is no clipping code required (code to detect areas it can't draw over).

From my end only Safari and Opera displayed this behavior, but from the posts here I realize that older systems also behave this way. So far, why different browsers behave differently is a mystery.Rolling Eyes

The "fix" can also be applied to iframe YouTube but a bit different. Here's a LINK that explains

Basically you have to add this to the end of the src

and even better there's code to automatically fix the code on a page although in my brief test I couldn't get it to work.

I'm thinking that the browsers that work have code to detect YouTube?

Edited 03/19/13 9:57 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM - Response #8

I believe we are having this same issue with the slide out/drop down menus.
I've embedded Ustream videos.
The top Ustream video on the "Hummingbird Watch" page hides the slide out/drop down menus.
I've tried to add the suggested code above, but it hasn't worked.
Can someone suggest more code changes that will fix this?
Thanks
JB

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM - Response #9

Can you upgrade to IE8?

Page is locked otherwise I'd try to see if it could be fixed - but only for newer browsers.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM - Response #10

I have Internet Explorer 9, I believe.

I've unlocked the page.

Oops! I'm signed in on the wrong hs sight. Go up to my husband's REL '67 site for "Hummingbird Watch" page.

Edited 04/04/13 4:56 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM - Response #11

What is your Browser and version number? I just tested and it works fine for me in both Firefox and IE10

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM - Response #12

Works for me too. Anita, your browser (and your husband's) user agent string is showing up as "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;"

Use this LINK to verify what you have your browser set to

If it's actually IE7 then that explains that.Question

Edited 04/04/13 5:17 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM - Response #13

Yes, I'm seeing what you mean, so if I have Windows Vista as my operating system, what Internet Explorer version can I download to fix this?
And get a 64-bit application running on a 64-bit porcessor, instead of this:

WOW64(Windows-On-Windows 64-bit) A 32-bit application is running on a 64-bit processor

Thanks,
Anita

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM - Response #14

I keep trying to download IE9, but I keep getting this message:

"Internet Explorer did not finish installing

Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer."

Then I get this message on another site:

"Thank you,
you're already using the latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows Vista."

I now remember trying to do this several months ago & kept getting this message, so I just gave up.

Anita

Edited 04/04/13 6:16 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM - Response #15

Don't worry about running 32 bit on 64 (WOW64).

Here's the LINK for IE9 for Vista 64bit (As I recall, it actually installs both 32 and 64 bit versions).

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM - Response #16

Jack,

I'm still getting this message:

"Internet Explorer did not finish installing

Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer."

Should I uninstall & start over?

Anita

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM - Response #17

What did that user agent say you were running? This LINK

It could be you have configured IE9 to run as IE7??

Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM - Response #18

Internet Explorer 9.0

User Agent String explained :
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Mozilla MozillaProductSlice. Claims to be a Mozilla based user agent, which is only true for Gecko browsers like Firefox and Netscape. For all other user agents it means 'Mozilla-compatible'. In modern browsers, this is only used for historical reasons. It has no real meaning anymore

5.0 Mozilla version

compatible Compatibility flag
Indicates that this browser is compatible with a common set of features

MSIE 9.0 Name: Internet Explorer version 9.0

Windows NT 6.0 Operating System: Windows Vista

WOW64 (Windows-On-Windows 64-bit) A 32-bit application is running on a 64-bit processor

Trident Layout engine for the Microsoft Windows version of Internet Explorer.

5.0 Trident version

I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED!!!

Edited 04/04/13 6:30 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM - Response #19

Well, for sure you are running IE9. I have no idea why CC is picking up a different User Agent String. See below for User Agent CC is picking up at least from post in this topic.

CC thinks you are running IE7 (or at least emulating it). That could be part of the problem here.Question

I'm with you - Totally ConfusedRolling Eyes

Edited 04/04/13 6:39 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.