ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Email Bounce

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/30/10 12:34 PM Views: 1717 Replies: 9
Friday, July 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I'm the primary admin for our site and have received a notice that an email between two classmates has bounced. How do I determine what the problem is so that I can address it/resolve? Is there a clear way to determine if it's a whitelist issue?

Thanks,
Brenda

Friday, July 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM - Response #1

I would suggest that you email the person from your personal email account to verify that the address is valid. If that is successful, then it may simply be a part of our email issue that we've been working through this past week. Yahoo and Bellsouth addresses were effected during this issue. It appears that the email in question is a bellsouth.net email address. We have been able to resolve the issue and are releasing the built-up emails that are remaining in a controlled manner as to not overwhelm the email system. All email traffic should be resolved sometime this evening.

Again, you can verify the validity of the address by sending a personal email. If this works, you can resend the site system email to this address sometime this weekend and it should work fine.

Thanks
Scott

Friday, July 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM - Response #2

Thanks Scott! I'll verify the sender's email, which I believe is the one in question. But just for clarification, when you say that "I" (as admin) can resend the message sometime this weekend...I'm not exactly sure how to even access the actual message. The only thing that I see is the bounced email notification, which only includes the header info. Perhaps you mean that the sender can retry his message this weekend? Let me know

Thanks much,
Brenda

Friday, July 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM - Response #3

Although everything Scott said is correct, the actual stated reason for this bounce is:

Failed address: bohnenst****@bellsouth.net (I *'d out the last 4 characters intentionally, but you can see the full address in your bounceback)

So this particular one has nothing to do with mail server issues, it's a real bounceback due to that email address no longer being a valid bellsouth.com email address. If possible you need to obtain the new email address for this individual and replace the bad one.

Friday, July 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM - Response #4

I've had more email bouncebacks today than all in the last 3 months combined. Something sounds suspect to me. It may just be a coincidence...but just saying.....

Edited 07/30/10 6:49 PM
Friday, July 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM - Response #5

If it's bellsouth.net email addresses, please wait until tomorrow then try another email. Their server has had problems before accepting numerous emails and over the past few days was again. It's a little long to explain, but I believe a "fix" we've put in will fix the problem, it just won't take effect until 8 hours from now. If bellsouth.net emails bounce after that please let me know.

Friday, July 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM - Response #6

will do, thank you!! Smile

Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 4:52 AM - Response #7

Yep....mine were Bellsouth addresses. Thanks!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM - Response #8

All of my bellsouth.net email has bounced back also.

Classmate Jimmy Z

Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #9

I *think* the Bell South email issue is probably resolved at this time. I won't know for sure until somebody emails Bell South customers again to see if they go through this time. Should it happen again after this I'll probably need to call over there and I might round up a few of you guys having the problem to help me out.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.