ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Block a Classmate from Leaving Comments

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/23/23 03:49 PM Views: 169 Replies: 3
Friday, June 23, 2023 at 3:49 PM

Is there a way to block a classmate from leaving comments on In Memory entries in general? One of our classmates is leaving inappropriate comments on classmates In-Memory entries, commenting on their obits. For example, one comment about a classmate who died in a car accident, “Look ma no hands, look God no safety belt.”

We just had a huge blowup and lots of drama around censorship from the Reunion Committee when another classmate who is dying claimed two other classmates stole her class valedictorian honor from her and a heated, bullying and a series of name-calling ensued. Worried it would distract from our upcoming 50th (yes 50th!) we deleted some of the worst posts and were accused of censorship. So in this case I just want to block this one person from posting on in-memory where folks have no defense. I don’t want to delete posts if I can help it.

Friday, June 23, 2023 at 4:08 PM - Response #1

My guess is that allowing In Memory comments (under Post Comment at the bottom of the In Memory entry) is administered under Admin Functions > Preferences > Profile Preferences > Comments. I don't see a way to block one person from posting an In Memory comment. The only choices are:
Allow Classmates to make comments on Profile items.
Allow Classmates to make comments only at the bottom of Profiles.
Don't allow Classmates to make any comments on Profiles.

I'll be happy to stand corrected!

Edited 06/23/23 4:08 PM
Friday, June 23, 2023 at 4:09 PM - Response #2

Hi Carol,

We don't have that option. If you have one person who is not following the rules you have the right to remove them from the site entirely if you wish. You may wish to warn the user and if they continue simply remove them. The messages you referenced I agree are not acceptable behavior and you are not required to allow it.

Deleting inappropriate comments is ok even if users complain. If there was an option to not allow them to post they would complain about that as well.

Sadly this is not the only site you has seen this type of behavior. We had another admin post and send a note to their class reminding them they are no longer in high school and to please keep posts positive and respectful of others.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, June 26, 2023 at 5:20 PM - Response #3

Jessica jessica wrote:

We had another admin post and send a note to their class reminding them they are no longer in high school and to please keep posts positive and respectful of others.

The best suggestion is in that quote.

So many are negative today that we tend to lean into the negativity missing keywords. When I read "...classmate who is dying..." it changes the discussion for me. I take a step back to understand there is most likely hurt, sadness, or such behind the words. Yet as an admin, I do not want to say, "Hey everyone, she is dying' as a way to help calm the tension. I do not see an easy answer and do not know if we have someone with the appropriate credentials to address that.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.