ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Anchors

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/10/08 09:46 AM Views: 1621 Replies: 2
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I am new and have read the thread entitled "How to use Anchors". I have a more basic question. What are anchors and what are they used for? Just point me to a thread or white paper. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I really like this site. It is so easy to use. I just want to use all of the tools.
Rick

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM - Response #1

Rick:
For a "white paper" Google "HTML anchor"
Jim

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM - Response #2

Rick:
Here's a good summary (btw--did you see the question this morning from the person who wanted a way to get back to the top of the page without scrolling?

HTML Links :
LINK WITHIN A PAGE -

Linking to anchors is very similar to normal links. Normal links always point to the top of a page. Anchors point to a place within a page.

A # in front of a link location specifies that the link is pointing to an anchor on a page. (Anchor meaning a specific place in the middle of your page).

To link to an anchor you need to:

Create a link pointing to the anchor

Create the anchor itself.

An anchor is created using the tag.
If you want to create an anchor called chapter4, you simply add this line where you want the anchor to be:

After doing this, you can make a link pointing to the anchor using the normal tag, like this:

Click here to read chapter 4.

Note:
When linking to an anchor on a page you need to put a # in front of the anchor.

When you link to an anchor on the same page, simply enter

blabla

When you link to anchors on external pages use this syntax:

blabla

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anchors are generally used when you create pages with considerable amounts of text. You would typically make an index at the top of the page linking to the anchors that have been added to key places in the text that follows.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.