ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Member Notifications in error?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/08/15 09:46 AM Views: 1458 Replies: 12
Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM

In the past 24-hour period, I received eight email notifications of ten new classmates joining the site. Today, they do not show up on the classmate profile list, nor did their names appear on our missing classmate list. Absent the email notifications, it appears there were no changes to the site. Errant notifications?

In fact, none of the names are familiar to me (we had a large class, so if a few of them aren't familiar after 40 years I get it, but none of the names rang a bell).

Any ideas?

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM - Response #1

You may have new classmate verification required which is accessed via "Preferences" under Admin Functions.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM - Response #2

Thank you. From your suggestion, I now realize that we allow only classmates who we pre-entered to join the site. These names contained in the email are not on the classmate list.
So, the question now is why did I receive the emails?

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM - Response #3

I presume that you're saying the names contained in the e-mail notification were not on the list that you initially pre-entered. If that's the case then it would appear that someone has "hijacked" a name that was and then changed it to something else.

You may want to take a look at this.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM - Response #4

Doug, see: http://screencast.com/t/27zYotV2tv

These notifications are generated by the Class Connection Facebook app. If you don't want notifications of other classmates from your school, but not your class year, joining the app you need to set this option to Never.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 8:17 PM - Response #5

That brings up a similar problem. I'm an admin on multiple sites, and if someone updates their details I get an admin notify - but it does not tell me which site it's for.

Perhaps in both cases, the Class Connection notify and the detail updated notify, it would be more clear if the site name was shown.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 8:44 PM - Response #6

Brad, I ran into this problem on Friday and was told by CC there is a programming issue that is causing these notices to go out in error. After a little investigating, I had figured out that the notice of 3 new classmates actually should have gone out to BCCHS Class of '65. We do not have a multi-year site so I wouldn't expect to get notices for additions to their site. Tonight I received a note from a classmate who reported she also received notice of these classmates.

I found Scott's earlier reply to me: "I suspect that it was a ClassConnection email for the FB app. There is a setting in the app that has the system inform you when people of other years join your school. If it is the message I am thinking of, we need to change the template that is sending the message."

Thanks,

Scott Mastenbrook
Class Creator

Edited 02/08/15 9:39 PM
Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 11:25 PM - Response #7

Isn't it also true that if you've got "verification required" turned on, someone whose name was pre-entered disappears off the class roster when they log in, until they've been approved? I don't know how that corresponds to the sending of an email notice, but if admins didn't get a notice of their joining, we wouldn't know to verify them.

Monday, February 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM - Response #8

The classmate that received notice about new classmates on our site forwarded her copy of the CC message to me today. It reads: "New members have been added to the Class of '68 website". The three people listed in her email belong to BCCHS Class of '65. Additionally, the member names listed in her email are different than the names listed in the email I received. (all have recently joined the brand new BCCHS Class of '65 group)

I tried making changes on FB preferences according to Brad's suggestion above, but found the only option there reads: "A new '68 Bearcat from my class joins Class Connection." As far as I can see, there's no option to subscribe to ALL CLASSES which makes sense since we're not a multiclass group.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM - Response #9

Very good point. We will make this change. Thanks John.

John Ralph wrote:

That brings up a similar problem. I'm an admin on multiple sites, and if someone updates their details I get an admin notify - but it does not tell me which site it's for.

Perhaps in both cases, the Class Connection notify and the detail updated notify, it would be more clear if the site name was shown.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM - Response #10

They don't disappear off the class list. They are a true member with a password now. They're just highly limited on what they can do until the verification is complete. Notices of the join and pending approval are going out as normal.

Mary Smith - SPHSAA President & Alumni Records wrote:

Isn't it also true that if you've got "verification required" turned on, someone whose name was pre-entered disappears off the class roster when they log in, until they've been approved? I don't know how that corresponds to the sending of an email notice, but if admins didn't get a notice of their joining, we wouldn't know to verify them.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:46 AM - Response #11

Yes there is. See: http://screencast.com/t/9Tbj9XG2iT

I bet you missed it because you actually renamed "classmates" to "'68 classmates". We use that same variable in the wording. Read this Notify Me option without the "'68" that you inserted. This is the option that's sending you notifications from other class years joining your school on the app.

Ruth Music wrote:

The classmate that received notice about new classmates on our site forwarded her copy of the CC message to me today. It reads: "New members have been added to the Class of '68 website". The three people listed in her email belong to BCCHS Class of '65. Additionally, the member names listed in her email are different than the names listed in the email I received. (all have recently joined the brand new BCCHS Class of '65 group)

I tried making changes on FB preferences according to Brad's suggestion above, but found the only option there reads: "A new '68 Bearcat from my class joins Class Connection." As far as I can see, there's no option to subscribe to ALL CLASSES which makes sense since we're not a multiclass group.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

They don't disappear off the class list. They are a true member with a password now. They're just highly limited on what they can do until the verification is complete. Notices of the join and pending approval are going out as normal.

Yes... and no. As of our last join a month or so ago, they do disappear from the Missing list AND the Class Profile list between the time they join and the time they're verified. In that interim period, they do still show up in the Edit Classmates list though, and of course there is a Verification Pending notice when admins log in.

As far as notifies, admins do get a notify when they join since they changed their details, etc, in the process, but members don't get a New Classmate notify until they're verified.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.