ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

In Notifications, can these be added?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/17/18 05:46 PM Views: 897 Replies: 2
Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:46 PM

Can the following be added to Notifications/What's New:

1. A member (name) is added to In Memory. For multi-year sites, include the class year.

2. An admin only option/page to add info. Short comments that insert would work. I'd like to post notes as to updated pages, new pages and such and should not have to post those on my profile page.

These would make the notifications a focal point for members to find updates. Right now, members need to look at What's New, homepage announcements and/or an administrator's update page, which is additional work for admins and more than a member should need to do and can lead to information being missed.

I noticed that the information under Notifications (bell on the RD design) does not match What's New in the left menu on mchenryalumni.com.

One more thing, could birthday notices drop at the end of the month from What's New/Notifications? That would give members the option to scroll through to see if they missed a birthday yet, it cleans up What's New which is full of birthday notices. If dropping them is not an option, perhaps this section could be divided by month/year to open a month of notifications.

Am I thinking too much? Cool

Edited 09/17/18 5:46 PM
Monday, September 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM - Response #1

Nope. Not over-thinking.
My own opinion is that anything which generates a notify email (except private messages) should also end up on the What's New page. But some 'New' things do not. Analytics shows that our members don't access What's New much, probably since they were turned off by how slow it was to begin with (fixed now), and any attempts to steer them to it haven't worked well as they've found it's not really a list of all things 'new'. For other examples, New Member Joined, and for sites which actively use the Message Forum as a community bulletin board, none of those entries are reflected in What's New.

I tend to agree with your comments about birthdays on What's New, but the other side of that coin is those posts are often followed with comments - sometimes well after the fact for those who don't log in regularly.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 1:18 AM - Response #2

Thanks, John.
I'm on the fence as to the use of Notifications/What's New. As I wrote above, I would love to rely on the system to provide one place for updates.

On the topic of Notify Me, I wonder if there would be a way to merge all this under the umbrella of Notifications/What's New. THEN give (at least the root) admins the ability to control what is sent out to members vs. how Notify Me is set up now. It is a thought and certainly flexible.

Streamlining how things work. Having things simple for our members to use, rather than having to look in so many places, and easier management of the sites... not a bad wish, eh?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.