ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Posting a PDF or document

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/09/08 10:17 PM Views: 4437 Replies: 21
Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I was interested in posting a return registration form for our reunion (PDF). Can I post a document to a page or do I have to post it elsewhere and link to it?

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM - Response #1

You can upload a PDF document and then link to it. The trick is you have to go into edit mode for the page, click the chain link icon, and then click the Upload tab to upload your PDF. Note the resulting file path so you can then link to it.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM - Response #2

Excellent. Still getting used to the content management system! These forums have been very helpful, I have read quite a bit and viewed many other sites to get ideas.

Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM - Response #3

I have done a search on how to upload and post a link for a pdf but no matter how much I try it just does not work.

I am using Firefox and that does not seem to be a problem when I do email or url links.

The pdf on my MAC or PC uploads with no problem, using the link upload. But when it comes back there is not a full url.

It looks like this after it says it has uploaded successfully: /userfiles/File/FCSL.pdf

There is no full url. I have a choice protocol choice of:
http:// or https:// or ftp:// or new:// or other. I am not sure which of those to use but the http:// won't work so what would I put in?

You don't really explain this well enough anywhere that I can find so far.

Thanks

Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 3:48 AM - Response #4

Hmmmm. If the file finishes uploading, the full path should be: http://www.sphs72.com/userfiles/File/FCSL.pdf

But, the file is not there... How large is the pdf file? Please email it to mail@classcreator.com, I'd like to try uploading the same file and see what's happening.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM - Response #5

Does this only work with a .pdf file or can you also upload a Word document?

I am having the same exact problem. First I tried uploading WORD docs. Then I converted to .pdf and uploaded. I, too, only see

/userfiles/File/Update #1 Test.pdf in the URL box with in the protocol

Also, is there a way to see all of the files I have uploaded?

Barbara

Edited 02/08/09 10:40 AM
Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM - Response #6

A new file library feature is coming along with the upgrade to the new site editor. That should be happening after the release of threaded forums and threaded email.

For now, please try it again doing exactly what you are doing, but make sure there are no spaces or special characters in your file name. If you can't get it let me know and I'll take a look.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM - Response #7

Same issue still happening. I just uploaded 2 files. This is all I saw for each.

/userfiles/File/Update1Test.pdf

/userfiles/File/Update1Test(1).pdf

It's not urgent because - as you can see - these are just test files while I am trying to find my way around the site to see if it will fit my needs. Although I would like to determine how these things will appear. Is there a limit to the number of these type links on a page?

Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM - Response #8

You actually did everything perfectly. If you don't have a domain name the file path is simply under class creator, which I have no doubt wasn't clear. I.E. your file is here:

http://www.classcreator.com/userfiles/File/Update1Test.pdf

All files will go here. There is no limit to the # of links, no. Although when the new File Library launches everything will work differently. For now though, do just what you're doing, you got it.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM - Response #9

Are we able to preview it as administrators before the page is active for all users?

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM - Response #10

See this thread

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM - Response #11

I inserted a link to PDF
http://www.ncchs79.org/userfiles/File/Classof79Registration.pdf
on my 30 Year Registration page, using the upload tab, but the link doesn't work. I can't get a directory of the /userfiles/File directory.

Please check it.

Thanks,
Jane Jude

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM - Response #12

I don't see that file there. Please upload it again and tell me the EXACT resulting file path you are given.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM - Response #13

Actually, I can't see any path - just assumed that it was userfiles/File because of the forum post. I am sure that the file name is Classof79Registration.pdf.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac - - maybe the upload feature doesn't display the path with Firefox?

Will try from another computer and let you know . . .

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM - Response #14

Should work fine on Firefox for Mac. After your file uploads you should immediately see the resulting file path. Make sure you wait long enough and that the file is there. You won't see the file path until the file has fully transferred to the system.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM - Response #15
alton baseball pittsfield.pdf

I have saved my PDF's on my desktop. The PDF'S are old sports newspaper articles I have found to post on the site www.altonhigh69.com I want to put all them in a separate order for each sport in HS on the site.

How do I do this successfully? I do want them posted as separate PDF's so any one can just click on them and it will open the PDF for them one by one.

Please give me a step by step procedure and thanks for all your help! The file I have attached is just one of many as an example of the PDF's.

Edited 05/09/09 10:30 AM
Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 11:32 AM - Response #16

1. Click your Edit Site Pages link
2. Click the Edit button next to the page you want to edit
3. In the editor window click the chain link icon
4. Browse your local system and select one of your PDF files
5. Click the "Send It To The Server" button
6. Wait. It may take awhile for your PDFs to upload, especially if they are large in file size.
7. You'll know your file successfully transferred to the system when you see the path to your file appear. Copy the path and press Ok to return to your regular edit mode.
8. Create a text link to your PDF file, such as "Click here to view my first PDF file."
9. Highlight the link with your mouse, click the chain link icon, and paste the link you previously copied.
10. Save

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 1:45 AM - Response #17

Brad,
The time has come for me to learn pdf. I've saved your instructions to the Alton school query, for uploading pdf files. My question is this ... I've started scanning yearbooks that average 30 pages each. I am of the opinion that I saved these pages as "one continuous page", but if that is so, why did I give each page it's own name, i.e., 65-1, 65-2, etc.? These scanned pages are saved on my desktop in folders by year. Do I link to the folder or to the files inside the folder? I'm sure common sense dictates, but my common sense seems to have abandoned ship. Help!
Thanks Brad, barbara

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 2:14 AM - Response #18

Brad,
One more thing...

I could end up with as many as 25 yearbooks and since I don't know what I'm doing, I think the logical thing to do would have the Yearbooks link (on the home page) have a drop-down box with links to the year you want to see. Is that just a few clicks and it's good to go, too? One can hope!

Thanks, barbara speck,

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM - Response #19

For each yearbook I would simply scan and insert each page consecutively on your site, like this:

http://www.marshalltownhighschool58.com/class_custom2.cfm

You could make a dropdown menu with links to each book, yes, although that requires more advanced coding than you can do in the native visual editor. I.E. you can do it, but you have to do it from Source view and have to have a good idea what you're doing. I can teach you that if you'd like.

Before anything else let's take just the first step, and get one page live with a complete yearbook, much like the example link I gave above. Once you've got one going we'll move into getting the rest online and organizing the links as you see fit.

Edited 05/19/09 11:45 AM
Saturday, July 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM - Response #20

Help!!

I am trying to send an email to the class with the pdf document attached.

When I click insert..it just says "wait a moment"... What am I doing wrong? The file is in my vault.

thanks Christi

Monday, July 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM - Response #21

You cannot attach PDF files to Email The Class messages. If the file is in your file vault, the click on the filename, then click the Preview button, then copy the URL of the page that opens up and paste that into your email. Classmates will receive it as a link they can click on to view or download the PDF (depending on their browser and which plug-ins they have installed).

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.