ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Blew out front page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/15/09 12:22 PM Views: 1331 Replies: 3
Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Hi Brad and Jessica -

I recently entered an announcement about our Troy High Athletic Hall of Fame ticketing information. Prior to placing that announcement on the home page (below our revolving cube), I had no difficulty whatsoever with blowing out the home page - all my announcements fit perfectly. Now, I have really done it. I went back in and changed everything in the Hall of Fame announcement from centered to left alignment and reduced the print sizes. All to no avail. Can you figure out why I can't make everything fit in the proper amount of space?

Thanks so much for all that you do for our site and everyone else's...

Betsy (Mitchell) Savery, Administrator
Troy High School, Troy, NY
www.classcreator.com/troy-ny-1963
email: betsysavery@gmail.com

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM - Response #1

First, make sure you read this thread about maximum width requirements.

You have 3 Youtube videos that exceed the maximum allowable width. That may be the sole cause of this problem, but after fixing the videos should the problem still be occurring here's a tip:

Go into your Announcement edit area and 1 by 1 deactivate each Announcement, then view your home page. The process of elimination will quickly reveal which one of your Announcements is problematic. Once you know where the problem is, you can edit that specific Announcement and look for anything causing problem, such as hard spaces, images, or third party objects that exceed the maximum width requirements.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM - Response #2

Hi again Brad -

The problem was that the Troy High Athletic Hall of Fame pin was too large. That is weird because it was 367 pixels wide and the "must read" section you referred me to said the pixels couldn't exceed 420 in width. Nonetheless, I reduced the width to 300 pixels and the problem solved itself. I haven't touched the 3 Youtube videos - they seem to be okay.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I get soooo frustrated when I realize I'm computer illiterate and cannot solve my own problems!

Betsy (Mitchell) Savery
Troy High School '63
Troy, NY
www.classcreator.com/troy-ny-1963
email: betsysavery@gmail.com

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM - Response #3

Your site only looks ok to you because you must be using the Internet Explorer browser. The videos are too large and should be resized so they do not exceed the maximum width. Take a look at your site using Firefox. Or Safari or Google Chrome. All 3 of these browswers, which are quite popular, won't display your content correctly due to the objects being too large. In fact take a look at this thread for an explanation of what happens to your site in Firefox when objects are too large for the space into which you've inserted them.

Make sure you check out all of your site pages in Internet Explorer and at least one other web browser. I recommend Firefox. Roughly 4 out of 10 viewers will be using Fireox, so you want to make sure you're putting on a good show for those viewers too.

Edited 08/15/09 10:12 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.