ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

white space on home page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/13/12 09:20 PM Views: 2133 Replies: 17
Friday, July 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

http://www.fhsclassof1961.com/

Please check this class site and tell me how to remove the white space on the home page and why it's there.
When I go to Edit Site Pages,it looks ok. Checked Source and I don't see anything to correct.
Thank you

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM - Response #1

My question may be similar to Lynda's or maybe not. I have checked IE, Foxfire, Google Chrome and my old AOL browser and in each instance, my announcements are way down the page. It didn't use to be this way. I reworked the picture of the bride and groom to make it smaller, but that didn't help.

Can someone take a look and tell me what I am missing? I have been doing this two and 1/2 years and have never had issues before (that I couldn't figure out and fix!) I know that I can't do anything about mobile devices, but I should have it look right on a computer browser.

Thanks,
Denise

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM - Response #2

Sometimes the right-side module of "THIS DAY IN HISTORY" becomes too wide which will mess up the formatting of the page. This module is provided by a 3rd party provider, so we don't really have access to it's size/information. If this was the problem, it should go away tomorrow when the content changes.

When I deactivated the "This Day in History" module, your page formatting problem was solved. You can deactivate it until tomorrow or just live with the formatting problem today. Or move the content of the "This Day in History" to the content area instead of the right-side modules.

Kyle Erickson
Class Creator

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM - Response #3

Thanks, Kyle

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM - Response #4

Thank you Kyle, how simple is that? I will keep looking at that from day to day? I like it, but I wonder how many others look at it? Hmmmm.

Denise

Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM - Response #5

Kyle,

Another question and I don't expect you to answer on your Sunday, but when I use the Foxfire browser, BEFORE I SIGN ON, all the information is way down the page. Once I sign on, it looks "normal." I have tested Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and even my old AOL browser, and all is well. But the Mozilla Firefox is really weird looking now, but OK after you sign in. Of course we both know that's not what the observer sees when they hit the site.

I went ahead and moved the "This Day In....." to the bottom of my Home Page and then I don't really have to think about it anymore and you will be able to see this.

Please take a look as you are able in these different browsers, and let me know what you see.

Thanks,
Denise

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM - Response #6

When logged in or out, I see no formatting problems on your home page. It may have been just that day's history content, but by moving that section to the main content area you have eliminated the problem.

Turning on or off the hostory content is just a simple checkbox on the Home Page edit page in Edit Site Pages.

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM - Response #7

I still can't get it to work on my Firefox browser. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it today and it looks the same. Everything else is fine! Google, IE, AOL, whatever. If you see no errors, maybe it's something on my computer!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM - Response #8

Please take a screen shot so we can see what you are seeing. On a windows computer, pressing CTRL-PRNT SCRN or ALT-PRNT SCRN (there is one key labeled PRNT SCRN, not all of those letters). Then in a paint program, circle the problem if it is not obvious. Then attach it to your next reply to this post.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM - Response #9

Kyle

How do I get the print screen into the paint program? I don't see where the screen shot goes. I think it took it with Alt/prt sc (which is also the home key). I am using an HP laptop. It's Windows 7.

DKD

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM - Response #10

OOPS, forgot to tell you that. It goes to the COPY/PASTE Buffer. So if you do CTRL-PRNT SCRN, then open PAINT and press CTRL-V, it will paste the screen shot there. You could then make any changes and save the image.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM - Response #11

I am really mixed up. When I hit paste, it asks where from and I don't know how to navigate to the copy/paste buffer. I feel so stupid.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM - Response #12

It should work if you do the three steps in this order with no other actions:

1. hit ALT-Prt Scr on the keyboard

2. Open the Paint program

3. Click Paste or hit CTRL-V

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM - Response #13

It does not do it.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM - Response #14

Then I would recommend getting assistance from a general computing support professional who can help you identify any problems your specific computer may be having. We can only help make sure your website is working properly, but we can't make sure it is working properly on *your computer*.

Have you been able to reproduce the problem on any other computer with which you can capture a screenshot and send it to us?

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM - Response #15

Excellent idea. I went to hubby's computer and I loaded Firefox on there for some reason (I forget now, he ONLY uses AOL) and it appeared perfectly normal there.

It must be something with my computer. I only use Firefox for some of the work I do with the web site (for example, getting to the image vault, I don't know WHY I cannot do that with Chrome, but I can with Firefox).

I guess if the classmates can see it OK, I am not going to worry as I don't have any other issues that need resolving at this time, so I am not taking it to the Geek Squad or whomever.

What I may do is when I send my August 1st email out, I may mention it and ask people to inbox me with any irregularities they may see. I know it looks different with the iPad, but I don't think we are going to solve that one without an "app." Wink

Thanks for all your help. I guess I will give this a rest.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM - Response #16

I am having the same problem with white space.
www.jacksonhigh1964.com
I unchecked 'this day in history', no help thus far.
thanks

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM - Response #17

I have fixed the problem for you, Susan. Your form on the Welcome announcement was too wide, so I replaced the lines of underscores with horizontal rules which scale automatically to the size of the available space.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.