ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Standard Background size for photo

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/04/15 01:43 PM Views: 1001 Replies: 10
Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Oops... I did it. I had one zoomed into one of my sites when I changed the background and after cropping the photo several times... it is now tiling. Ugh. I know better than to do this in a hurry. So I ask...

What is the best pixels size for a background on our sites? (I center my site on the screen - always. Why? I feel like I am leaning to the left otherwise. Wink ).

For those who need to know, the site is mchenryalumni.com.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM - Response #1

1024x768, right?

I changed it. John R., FC, Jack V. and anyone who wants to... please give your input. Thanks!

Edited 01/04/15 1:49 PM
Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM - Response #2

If it's centered you actually need a size that tiles. That's because each user may have a different screen resolution and zoom. IOW, it's the space on the left and right, not the html page size.

The only background that works consistently for 'centered' is one that is homogenous - as in it blends together when tiled.

You can make the one you have work in all cases IF you mirror the edges so it all looks like one continuous scene 'tiled'.

The one there looks good though for most uses. Just depends on how fussy you want to be.

If you want to make a minor change, make it taller - like about 1200 tall. Then it won't tile vertically so easy.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM - Response #3

Fuzzy, Jack? Mine is not fuzzy! The day is gloomy and who knows what camera she used. It is how I remember snowy days in Illinois.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM - Response #4

f.u.s.s.y.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM - Response #5

Once upon a time, I had a great program to work with images. It went with a crashed hard drive as it was from the then ex-husband. Though I have Photoshop, I have yet to master many of the basics... so I do what I can in simple programs. Sad

There is more to the photo but I wanted the fence to show. Guess I have more work to do. One step at a time...

Thanks for the reply, Jack.

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

If you want to make a minor change, make it taller - like about 1200 tall. Then it won't tile vertically so easy.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM - Response #6

Oops! LOL Well then, pretty darn fuSSy! Cool

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM - Response #7

Keep in mind, Gwen, that what you see is probably not what many others see. Different monitors, set to different resolution, whether they're in a window or full screen, and then there's smartphones and tablets. Each is going to display the main screen and whatever more they have room for. When centered, that might not leave much on each side.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM - Response #8

Right, John. I just finished an announcement stating that. Appreciate the thought!

Here is the original photo and the edit I used. If either of you have suggestion(s) as to how I should start from scratch, feel free to give the input. It not only helps me, it may help another admin in the future.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM - Response #9

Yes, that fence makes the scene.

What I would do is make a blank image that is 1024x1200 tall (or taller even).

Now paste that image on the top of the 'empty' image and fill the bottom with the off white that you select from the bottom of the image and then paste/fill the area's NEW image starting there.

Now you get the fence and the bottom fills with snow if the res is higher than 1024.

Make sense? Most editing programs do that. irfanview is pretty decent for a free program.

Gwen Corey wrote:

There is more to the photo but I wanted the fence to show. Guess I have more work to do. One step at a time...

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM - Response #10

Hey, Jack... I might remember how to do that in Photoshop or at least set the size. Might.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.