ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Domain Name Change

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/09/10 10:23 AM Views: 1780 Replies: 10
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Is there any way for me to change the domain name of our current class website and maintain the content of the website ? We will still need to retain the current domain name for another site however.
Can you advise me on how to go about this if this is possible ?

Thanks
VHD

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM - Response #1

Absolutely. You can set up a new domain to point here and then change the records for the other domain to point elsewhere. When you make this change, you will want to email the class to notify them of the change. You may also want to consider placing a link in the content of the new site to direct people back to the class page, for those that forget or don't get the message of the change.

Steps to follow:
1. Go to Classnames.net, log in and register your new domain name.
2. Return to your class website and go to the Register Domain link in the left nav.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and fill in your new domain name in the filed provided. DO NOT CLICK THE Reserve a Domain Name Now Button as that will just take you back to Classnames.net. But Do click the button that says Activate Your Domain Name Now.
4. If the original domain name is being used for another Class Creator site, once you have the site created, you can repeat 2 and 3 above for that domain on the new site.
5. However, if you are not using the domain name for another Class Creator site, you will need to log in to the Classnames.net site, choose the original domain name from the list of domain names you manage, and update the IP address for the A Name Record.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
Scott

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM - Response #2

Scott,

I will try this and get back to you if I have any issues. Thanks a lot.

Valencia

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM - Response #3

Our domain name expired while I was on vacation and now I am unable to renew it.

I have already registered a new domain name. Since I am unable to access our class site anymore, how do I change it to the new domain name?

Thank you for your help.

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM - Response #4

Priscilla,

You will always be able to access your website through this URL:
http://www.classcreator.com/Manila-Philippines-Far-Eastern-University-1984

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM - Response #5

Priscilla, go to this page: http://www.classcreator.com/Manila-Phili...in_register_form.cfm and enter your new domain name.

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM - Response #6

I've done the ACTIVATE DOMAIN NAME from our class site.

What info do I need to put in registrar (godaddy)?

Thanks again!

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM - Response #7

You'll need to set the A Record for the domain to 69.41.171.62

Once you do that, it should take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days for the information to propagate.

Friday, June 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM - Response #8

Done.

Thank you for the quick responses.

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 9:20 PM - Response #9

Won't we have to pay again to register another domain? Our's is just too long (don't know why I did that!).
paducahtilghmanclass1963.com
Sherry

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM - Response #10

Yes you would pay for the new domain and you could let the longer name expire. You can forward the longer domain to the shorter name until it expires in case anyone has that domain bookmarked.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.