ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates without emails and/or computers

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/26/11 09:24 PM Views: 1262 Replies: 7
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 9:24 PM

We need some advice.

How are you all handling classmates who cannot create their own Profile page due to no email or computer or both?

We thought that those classmates should US Mail us their info and we would input the data.

Please give us your thoughts.

Thank you,

Burt

HPHS Class of 1962

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM - Response #1

Hello, Burt!

We had one classmate with that situation. A friend of his called him and got the information with the understanding that his responses would be posted on his profile. I gave the classmate a valid email address that is for the class but not used as a log in for anyone. I receive the emails. Gave him a password.

Sent the log in and password to the helpful classmate and he created the profile as he had communicated with the gentleman and also knew him well. I felt it would give a better slant on the responses.

Then I went in and in one of the last blank places to write things on a profile and put this:

Rusty is currently not online, but he says to please call or contact him. He would love to hear from you. Any private messages sent to Rusty will go to the root admin of the site and will be returned to you unread. Please just call him! Thanks to Bert Dodd for finding Rusty and thanks to Bert for getting the info for update and the picture.

Has worked well for two years. I received a few private messages at first, but that has stopped. I didn't read them, but sent a message to the sender to call him! Of course, I turned off the comments.

Margaret

Edited 07/26/11 10:19 PM
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM - Response #2

Margaret;

Thank you so much for your fast response and advice.

Burt

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM - Response #3

Do you know if you can use the same email address for more than one person? I would guess you would have to use different passwords, for instance, the last names of those not actually on line. I've been thinking of doing this too, mainly so we can have info for a memory book for our 50th. This idea may solve that for us.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM - Response #4

I have done exactly as you mention, just registered one classmate who is known to be in a Care Center. The Care Center is in our home town, and posted her to the website if someone wanted to visit her, while in town for our Reunion. Works fine.

Yes, you can have many people with same email address, just has to have different password.

ALSO, I have several classmates that just won't touch a computer. Many of them have opted to appoint a friend or family to check the website for them. One has his sister collect his messages and get them to him. Another has his daughter do all his PC work. And THEN, there are Grand Kids!!! These days, any kids over 8 can tell you most anyting you want to know about a computer. So, why not have the Grandchild be your PC proxy to receive messages and send for them. In these cases, I just put a very short disclaimer after the classmates last name like (My sister picks up my messages for me).

Edited 07/26/11 10:50 PM
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #5

I find the ones who do not have a computer do not want to be on the website.. I also have suggested children or grandchildren to help them, but, so far, those people have not participated.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM - Response #6

Lynda Laughner wrote:

I find the ones who do not have a computer do not want to be on the website..

Same. It's quite interesting to hear how they "justify" not wanting or needing a computer. One analogy is a 19th Century person saying they don't want a refrigerator since it's too overwhelming to learn.

I suppose it is for someRolling Eyes

Friday, July 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM - Response #7

Well we just had a meet & greet last week that turned out really great! We signed up 14 new members! I took my laptop and those that did not have computers/email, I entered them in right there at the meet & greet. If you do this for them as the admin (if they have an email address) you will also have to create a username and password for them.

A few of our mates do use the library for internet access. We have another event next month, and I will do the same thing, take my laptop. I also will put in the "notes section" that this mate does not have "regular internet access" so I will drop a postcard in the US Mail, of any upcoming events. It is only a handful so I don't mind.

If they are really interested, they will find a way. It does amaze me the amount of people in our age group that does not have a computer, but it is what it is.

Oh, the place where we usually meet has WI-FY, and they allow me to use their service, after all we are spending money in their establishment. lol

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.