ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password Protection for Photo Gallery Pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/27/11 04:54 PM Views: 1395 Replies: 8
Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I have several pages that were created using Photo Gallery Creator. One of these contains a holiday letter written by one of my classmates in which he included his email address. He recently did a Google search on his email address and found that the class website page was returned by the search. After he notified me of this I realized that the Photo Galleries were not password protected and so I went to the Edit Site Pages and turned on the password protection. However, even after setting the password protection on, a Google search still finds the webpage. Is there something else I need to do to protect these pages created with the Photo Gallery Creator from search engines?

Thanks.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM - Response #1

No. Google won't drop the page immediately just because you password protected it. It will however drop the page, usually the next time the Googlebot spiders your web site.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM - Response #2

So Brad, you are saying to password protect galleries from the start?

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM - Response #3

I know I do....for several reasons. Why join if it's all out there? And for the reasons mentioned that things come up. The only thing I leave open is the yearbook, past reunions (oh well) and our town as it is today. Other galleries are protected for the classmate's protection and also to encourage joining and interaction!

DKD

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM - Response #4

It is best to password protect your page at the start. You can always change it later.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

No. Google won't drop the page immediately just because you password protected it. It will however drop the page, usually the next time the Googlebot spiders your web site.

Thanks Brad. Any idea how long it should be before the page is dropped? Is it usually the same day? Within a week?

Edited 02/27/11 6:08 PM
Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 7:25 PM - Response #6

When I first started my website a year ago, I had a somewhat similar situation. If I recall correctly, it did take a couple months to disappear from google. As Brad says, next time the Google spiders reach out, probably disappear then.

On a side note, I have cautioned my classmates to not put their email address in such things. It can get snagged, if it is something on your website that was chosen to be accessible. For instance, some things like Denise menntioned to tweak the interest. That is how one of my Reunion Committee emails got out, as an announcement that was intended to be accessible, had an email I did not notice.

I like to leave some things Not Password Protected just like Denise, but not much!! Have to read that stuff very carefully.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM - Response #7

No, we don't know the schedule when Google (or other web search engines) run their web crawler application to gather the information.

They don't make that kind of information known to the real world.

Monday, February 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM - Response #8

OK, thanks Kyle.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.