ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Click on photos to enlarge

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/09/11 02:14 PM Views: 1854 Replies: 14
Friday, September 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hi Team,
I have a photo on the home page of my class site. I'd like to be able to click on it to enlarge. In order to accomplish that, I've created a link to a gallery page where people can click to enlarge. I'd like to be able to do that in one click. This isn't a big problem with my class site, but two clicks are one too many for my bueiness site.
On my business site,(dianadenholm.com) I've got a slideshow of some documents (book endorsements) on a gallery page. I'd like people to be able to click on them to enlarge, the way I have been able to do with PhotoBucket. I'd rather the viewer not have to go off-site to have it load, the way it does with PhotoBucket. Can this be done?
Please advise. Thanks again!

Diana

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM - Response #1

Diana --

Here is information on how to make a pop-out photo including an example and a link to the step-by-step instructions.

CLICK TO VIEW

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM - Response #2

Hi Diana,

Looks like John has a great answer for you. If you need anything else, let us know!

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM - Response #3

Diana, How are you with scripts? I made a very easy to use script for exactly that purpose, but it's a bit more techie.

Avoids losing focus to the main window, etc.

see our site for example

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM - Response #4

Thanks, everyone. I'll play with this a bit and see what happens. I appreciate all the great ideas as I certainly ran out of them!

Best,
Diana

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM - Response #5

Another option is to have the image expand when your mouse hovers over it. For that I use expando... http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/expandoimage.htm

Jim

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM - Response #6

Thanks, Jim. I'll try that too...never heard of it before. Clever concept.

Diana

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM - Response #7

Jim Minor wrote:

Another option is to have the image expand when your mouse hovers over it. For that I use expando... http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/expandoimage.htm

Are you using this on your CC website? I see there is the need to place some code in the "Head" section of the page. I didn't think that was possible on CC pages.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM - Response #8

You don't have to put it in the head. A lot of sample sites show that, but you really don't have to. Might be something that changed with the browsers over time.

The main issue with the expando method is that it shoves all the surrounding html all over the place. Easy to get lost for larger zooms.

Believe it or not, either method can also be done with CSS. For me scripted method was way easier and way more flexible.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM - Response #9

I would love to try using your scrip it you are willing to share it.

Thank you,
Roberta

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM - Response #10

Sure, esp 1961Exclamation. It relies on being comfortable editing in source mode. Also doing some basic page mods for Diana. Helps me see how others may want to implement vs my own requirements.

I'll make a sample page that shows the basics and where add the code. Plus a short explanation here. Once one gets the basic concept down, it can help you on other scripts too.

Going over some reunion photos someone just sent me, so hold on a bit.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 10:23 PM - Response #11

Jack,
Thank you for your note, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Take your time. Enjoy the reunion pics.

Roberta

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 2:22 AM - Response #12

Here is a sample page. The first one is outside of CC so it's easier to find how to use the code. Look at the html source and read the comments. I can explain something if I messed up and did not explain well enough.

CLICK for Plain Page

This next page is inside of a CC page, so you can see how it looks there. You'll see it looks a bit nicer because that's what it was made for, with the left menu.

CLICK for CC Page

If you shrink your browser window you can see how the autozoom size feature works vs a fixed zoom size.

Edited 09/11/11 2:23 AM
Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM - Response #13

I rec'd the script, thank you. We have company with children so I will wait until they leave and the house is quiet to give it a try.
Thanks,
Roberta Laughing

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 8:18 PM - Response #14

John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was away.

Yes it's on my CC pages. Whenever there's code like this involved I just break the javascript or whatever apart and place it in my CC file, usually in a separate folder. Had to do it for Crossword puzzles I've got up on the site and possibly one or two others (getting to the point where I lose track of things after a few weeks away from some work like this.) Then on the CC page I just reference the code. Seems to work fine. Could go into more detail if you'd like.

Jim

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.