ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Request to Access Site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/18/09 10:11 AM Views: 1517 Replies: 7
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I have received a request from a person who wants to be able to access our site. Most of our classmates have "locked" their profiles and our "In Memory" page is "locked", but our YEARBOOK page is open to the public. What is the procedure for letting someone be a guest? Do I ask the class? I don't want to make an "executive" decision like this without learning what others have done in this situation.
Thanks,
Kathy

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM - Response #1

Hi Kathy,

You might want to create a quick poll on the site and then email the class to let them know they can voice their opinion on the topic on the site. You can include information in your email about the type of guest who wants to join. Many common guest requests include instructors/teachers, classmates from the same school - different year, classmates who were part of the class but moved before graduation, etc.)

Edited 03/18/09 10:40 AM
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM - Response #2

I recently received such a request from someone in the class the year after ours. He was searching for former classmates on line and stumbled upon our site. I verified, in our alumni book, that he was indeed from that class then added him as a guest member.
I thought this might be a way for him to plug our site to his class so that they would want to set up a site.
Good luck.
Tam

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM - Response #3

Jessica and Tam,
Thank you for the info. That certainly helps.
Kathy

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 11:04 AM - Response #4

Now that I've asked that question, I can't for the life of me find the page to allow a guest to register. WHERE IS IT?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM - Response #5

You, as the administrator, need to go to Manage Classmates and add them there - when you add them there is a radio button to assign them as a Guest. Once you assign them as a guest they can join.

Edited 03/18/09 11:10 AM
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM - Response #6

I allow teachers to be guest, and any other request I do on a person by person case. I had one person who sent some info on a missing classmate, then wanted access to our website so she could post information about other missing classmates. I didn't recognize her name, and ask a couple of others and they didn't either so I emailed her back and told her that is was just for our class and teachers and if she would send me the information I would post it, and then she just disappeared, so I guess she was up to no good.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM - Response #7

Kathy, for me this was an easy "executive decision".

Our class is a bit older than some others (lol) and when people were first logging in and filling out profiles, several wondered about privacy issues. At that time, I assured them that only members of our class would see these profiles.

Since then, I've gotten several requests from folks in classes right before or after ours, saying they knew a lot of us and wanted guest access. I've declined based on the above - it's bad form to change privacy rules midstream.

Edited 03/18/09 2:17 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.