ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Youtube Links

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/21/18 05:05 AM Views: 1098 Replies: 8
Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 5:05 AM

We were grandfathered in as a "free site" some ten years ago, and have always been able until just recently to embed, or view, YouTube(i.e.,share) links. We do not want to go to a Pay plan, but rather would prefer to remain as a grandfathered site (our members have not been as active as they first were). We do however want to be able to embed YouTube links (e.g., Jack's player).

Can you please provide me a reply back as to whether grandfathered sites will continue to be able to embed YouTube links?

Thank you.

Edited 11/23/18 11:44 AM
Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 1:12 PM - Response #1

Since YouTube videos are not hosted on your site, being Free does not limit your ability to embed the player. Copy the link fro youTube.... then in the Editor Window for the page you want to add the player, use the YouTube button in the 3rd row of links near the end... click that button and then paste your link copied from YouTube. When you save the page, you can then go to the page to test.

Jack or others who have used his player will need to chime on for that part of the question.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM - Response #2

Sammy Thurmond wrote:

.................... (our members have not been as active as they first were). ..........................

We are also a class from 1958 and have a moderately active site. I just tried to visit your site and needed a password just to get to it. Could this be a reason your activity level has dropped off? I keep as much as possible open to all on our site.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM - Response #3

I don't believe this (i.e., password) is a real problem, since we get a heavy response from our classmates if a post is made to our site from a classmate. That is to say, we have classmates that do remember their password and login when a post (or several) by another classmate occur in a short span of time. I think that so many of our '58 ers just read and don't post, they either use Facebook or just slow to post anything (or perhaps other reasons). We have had some issues in the past so that is why we "locked" our system down. I do thank you for your feedback.

The thing that is puzzling is that links to You Tube that have existed on our site for years just stopped working. I do understand how You Tube sharing works and have used it many times over the past years. Jack's player is but one example that has always worked (point and click), but does not any longer. (I have written a private email to Jack seeking any insights that he may have).

Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited 11/23/18 11:44 AM
Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM - Response #4

Thanks to Jack my problem was identified as a problem with IE 11 (probably the result of a recent Windows update). Backed off of IE 11 and switched to another Browser - PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I appreciate the comments that I received - Thanks to Jack for his help in quickly tracking this down and offering a solution .

Edited 11/23/18 12:07 PM
Friday, November 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM - Response #5

While changing browsers solved the problem for you, it may not be as easy for many of your classmates - some of whom (like ours) are still on Windows7 and running the only browser they know about - IE-11.

Edited 11/23/18 10:50 AM
Friday, November 23, 2018 at 11:40 AM - Response #6

Thanks John for your feedback. I agree with you. Strange thing though is that some of our classmates that I've talked with are not having the problem that I had with IE 11 - go figure! I'm beginning to think that something in one of the recent Windows updates may have slipped a "slippery" in that caused this particular problem with IE 11 on my system. Otherwise IE 11 seemed to work fine on everything else. BTW, have you had any complaints from your classmates experiencing anything near what I've discussed (i.e., You Tube links)?

Regards,

Sam

Edited 11/23/18 11:43 AM
Friday, November 23, 2018 at 1:12 PM - Response #7

Some background:

My Windows 10 "home" can't run IE 11 successfully. My Windows 10 "Pro" can. Identical IE software - because I copied from Pro to Home - after Home IE 11 started acting quirky I copied all the files from Pro. Could be some registry setting? Don't use IE 11 so did not spend much time looking. If someone finds an article, please post it here.

By "can't run" I mean that it loads but take forever to open any site and eventually just stops working. Only correlation is this happened after a Windows Home update. I've stopped my Pro system from updating, but maybe would also happen there.

IE 11 is a sluggish browser in today's world. Win 7 can't use Edge but that's a big improvement. Plus Firefox, Chrome, Opera are also great browsers that they can run.

I might put a notice on our site giving links to download alternatives since this is actually the first time I've had someone else besides myself have an issue with IE 11.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 2:33 AM - Response #8

As an aside, I'm not sure why anyone using Windows 10 is still using IE11. Microsoft's Edge browser works superbly well with Windows 10. I encourage classmates who have Windows 10 installed to change to Edge.

Edited 11/24/18 4:39 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.