ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Social websites

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/06/13 04:29 PM Views: 1596 Replies: 20
Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM

As a result of Facebook's problems with hacking and people's accounts being compromised, I decided to delete my Facebook account. Frankly I don't want anything to do with public websites like this and that includes You Tube. Right now, in order to place videos on our website, we must upload to You Tube first. This opens the floodgates to unwanted automated emails from You Tube and also, should you wish the video to be private, it becomes private on our website. This leaves our website visitors without a way to see the video. Therefore, the video must be left public on You Tube. Needless to say, I don't like this much.
Please put on the program wishlist a direct way to upload videos to our Class Creator website.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM - Response #1

You can directly upload videos right now to a CC file vault. Video files make mp3 files look like peanuts in file size though. At 100MB (small video, usually lots more) per video, not even 2 GB will be enough. So you need to host the videos on some other site. But it can be done with enough effort.

There is a free player you can use to embed videos- this one LINK

I could show you how to use JWPLAYER if you are still interested. I already use an older version.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 3:18 AM - Response #2

Is this product free and have you experimented with the player /flash / browsers aspects, in terms of the flash capabilities for iPads or Android mobile devices? The online description indicates such features but I was curious if you or anyone else out there had any experiences to share that would further our knowledge.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM - Response #3

It is free. I have no reason to doubt what they write. My older version5 works on iPad and Android for music that's why I used it. Our music page is built around that capability. There's nothing on our site that is not iPad/Android compatible (except CC only stuff).

JWPlayer is used by a lot of commercial sitesIdea

Edited 07/07/13 11:17 AM
Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM - Response #4

Thank you all for your responses. I may have found a way to reduce the file size. I will respond once I try it, and if I find it to be a good way to upload videos without using You Tube.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM - Response #5

Wasn't saying you should doubt what it says. Just asked. Too bad the CC things don't work properly. That is part of why I wanted to possibly use the product. Sounded like it had excellent potential to be used with that mobile device.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM - Response #6

Since you have an iPad and I'm assuming you viewed the JWPLAYER website on same, you just discovered that it works on an iPadWink

They also have free video storage (and code support), limited to 1GB and 20GB bandwidth. Should be good enough for most classes. You can also pay for what you use.

LINK and Rates

Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM - Response #7

Yes. I understand that information. Still is disappointed to find out it can't be used as a methodology to access CC material.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM - Response #8

Don't know what you mean "can't be used .. access CC material"?

You can use JWPLAYER (method) to access any material in -your- CC file vault that we are talking about: Music or Videos. That would supplant the CC music player and replace YouTube (the original question).

IOW, stuff in the CC vault doesn't have to use CC software. That also goes for graphics (slightly different area). But it takes more work/understanding to do this, so is not for everyone.

Eventually the CC Flash components are going to be replaced. There's only so much they can do with the limited resources at their disposal. I imagine if the world went all Apple, it would become a much bigger priorityShocked

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM - Response #9

This is that to which I am referring, in your own words:

RE: Social websites
Posted Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

You typed "There's nothing on our site that is not iPad/Android compatible (except CC only stuff)."

Edited 07/08/13 1:07 AM
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 5:27 AM - Response #10

CC 'stuff' I'm referring to is -chat- module, so not exactly related to "material" since that's really a program, hence CC only. That's also on the list of things CC is going to modify.

In terms of "material" that classmates access/see/hear, everything on our site is iPad/Android compatible.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM - Response #11

Another possibility: post your video on Vimeo instead of Utube. It's used by a LOT of business sites, it's more private, better HD, no cost for small user and much less likely to be hacked (small target).

Some comparisons between utube and vimeo here:

http://www.mozakdesign.com/vimeo-vs-tube-choice-for-business/

Of course it doesn't completely remove the risk, but really...nothing does if it's on the web.

Have used vimeo for over a year, no problems. Post the link on your profile page.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM - Response #12

Whatever you want to now say, Jack. Thanks Ed. Those are great suggestions.

Edited 07/08/13 5:48 PM
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Response #13

I'm saying what I've been saying Gary. Not sure what the issue is with my responsesQuestion

Let's keep the focus here. The ORIGINAL topic is
Quote:

Please put on the program wishlist a direct way to upload videos to our Class Creator website.

and I explained how one can already upload videos just that one needs to supply a player to play them. The question wasn't alternatives to YouTube (of which there are several more besides those shown, including JWPLAYER site).

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM - Response #14

"I'm saying what I'm saying". Interesting Jack. Nice try to deflect. I see what you are doing.

No "issue". I never lost focus but my interpretation is that you may have. You brought up your subject and then kept going, with long statements that didn't address your position as stated in your posting by trying to be overly technical. I was only trying to focus you in on providing a short answer without drawing things out by using a slightly lecturing and admonishing tone with me now because I was attempting to clarify and verify the meaning of your exactly statements.
Fine. Let's both move on.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM - Response #15

Gary, are you trying to find some personal interpretation with every single responseQuestion

If I explained how to use JWPLAYER, now THAT would be long and technical. Don't see how I could possibly write anything shorter explaining the file vault upload and how to use a player. I was clarifying what appeared to be a misinterpretation of what I wrote.

I really have no clue what gets into these discussions. You ask, I answered. That is 'slightly lecturing' as is any explanation of technical details that another person may not have experience with. Let's not keep reinterpreting ehCool.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM - Response #16

Then don't keep replying. Simple as that.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM - Response #17

LOLCool

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM - Response #18

O_O

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM - Response #19

Jack- Ignore him. Not worth your valuable time.
Although I've not had occassion to request your help, you've always provided great responses & a big help to those of us who benefit from your expertise.

Stay the course, John

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM - Response #20

John Ludovico wrote:

Jack- Ignore him. Not worth your valuable time.
Although I've not had occassion to request your help, you've always provided great responses & a big help to those of us who benefit from your expertise.

Stay the course, John

Nice try, John. Simple and precise answer would have been "beneficial" not technical tangents.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.