ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate Profiles: Newest at theyop/bottom

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/24/13 05:12 AM Views: 1276 Replies: 8
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 5:12 AM

A Classmate just emailed me a question, and it is something that has come up with me before, so I am posting this. Some of my information is from when I looked a this a year or so ago, but I am on the road and have intermittent internet access.

My paraphrase of her question:
"On the Classmate Profiles page, why do I have to change the default for viewing comments to 'Newest at the top'? Randy, can you just change that so that I don't have to change that each time I login?"

Her question spurred me to post this, even though I have been planning to for a long time:

1. Is there an option, at the system level, to change this display sort? (I wasn't been able to find one when looking for it a while back.)

2. What is the functionality of sorting oldest comments at the top? Especially for multipage comments, this is confusing and illogical - you are going to scroll through five pages of comments to get to the newest comments, or the newest / oldest only applies to the first page of comments? How many classmates are going to figure out that logic?

3. The understandable way for most classmates (and users on other social media) is to view newest comments at the top. At the simplest, why not just default to 'newest at the top', rather than 'newest at the bottom?' I agree with the classmate inquiry, it is quite clunky and irritating to have to change this each time I login.

Thanks
Randy Willis

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM - Response #1

The best way to utilize the forums is to click on the Last Post link to the right of the thread. That will take you directly to the most recent information in the thread. There are no other ways to change the default view of the forums in the system. Yes, we realize that this may not be consistent with the latest social media practices. However this code was written before SM like Twitter even existed. While we would like to revisit that portion of the system at some point, when we do, it will likely be a completely new feature and function of the system rather than an update to the legacy code as it is way out of date.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM - Response #2

I'm in a tent in zion natl park on my cell phone tiny keyboard, so please excuse typos etc. I think you are not addressing my question, which is about existing coding in classmate profiles, not forums.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM - Response #3

Scott,

This is talking about clicking on a classmate name from the Classmate Profile page where the classmate has multiple comments at the bottom of the profile, for example, in this case, I chose classmate Jay Lee. There is a drop down box for showing newest at the top or newest at the bottom. They are saying NEWEST AT BOTTOM makes no sense because you would always be skipping through pages of old messages until you get the newest message. However it does make sense if you have not read any of the comments before. BUT after reading those comments for the first time, that option doesn't make sense.

Choosing the NEWEST AT THE TOP option saves it for future viewing, but the classmate wants to know why NEWEST AT THE TOP is not the default setting.

Randy, did I understand your question correctly?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM - Response #4

Randy,

It might not be clear from my above message, but if you (or your classmate) personally sets the default to "View newest at the top", it will remember that the next time you view a classmate's comments and you won't need to change it again (unless you switch browsers or clear your browser's cookies)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM - Response #5

Does that setting carry over for ALL profiles or just the one? (I don't have anything to test with.)

If just for one, I bet they want it to be for ALL profilesCool

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM - Response #6

The setting is "for the user" (it is a cookie placed in the browser storage). If you visit a different profile, it will remember the order you want to display those comments and display it the way you want. It is also the same cookie for the Message Forum, so if you want to view the Message Forum with most recently posted at the top, your Classmate Comments will also show the newest posts at the top.

Monday, October 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM - Response #7

Kyle Erickson wrote:

The setting is "for the user" (it is a cookie placed in the browser storage). If you visit a different profile, it will remember the order you want to display those comments and display it the way you want. It is also the same cookie for the Message Forum, so if you want to view the Message Forum with most recently posted at the top, your Classmate Comments will also show the newest posts at the top.

How do you set "view newest on top" for the Message Forums? This was possible with the old Message Forum. If there is only one cookie, for Message Forums for this, how to I set it? I cannot find a place in Profiles or Message Forums to set this.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM - Response #8

It is not an option in the USER FORUMS (new Message Forum).
Your "Old Message Forum" is just a new page with the old information on it. So sorting is not an option there, either.
The real "Message Forum" is a page on your website that has been disabled, called "Obsolete Message Forum". Sorting the list as "view newest on top" is possible on that page (if it were an active page)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.