ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Notify Me Changes?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/20/14 07:46 PM Views: 1514 Replies: 59
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Have there been changes made to the Notify Me options?

I was in the process of notifying classmates about changes being made to one of the pages in our website, and noticed that ALL our classmates are marked as wanting to be notified of ALL the Notify Me categories, including "Pages on the site have been added or updated." Up until today, when I checked the Notify Me status for our site, many of our classmates were marked as "No Answer," but today NOBODY is shown as "No Answer" for ALL the categories.

Is there a bug in the Notify Me system, or have new defaults been implemented?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM - Response #1

Same thing on the three sites I administer.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:36 PM - Response #2

It's a welcome change for so many of us who have been trying so hard for so long to get our "No Answer" people to set their options and stay informed about what's going on. I really REALLY hope it was not a bug.

[EDIT] At first glance, this appeared to address a problem many of us have been trying to deal with ever since Notify Me was implemented. But after a second look, it appears to be another "don't ask, don't tell, and don't test" update. We weren't asked what we wanted or needed, we weren't told when it was implemented, and it obviously wasn't tested - unless CC really intended to notify every member with an email address for the "ADMINS ONLY: Send updates, tips, and information about the Class Connection Facebook application" option. And after my second look, I'm now very concerned that what I thought it did to address what I needed was another "unintended consequence".

Edited 05/21/14 1:14 AM
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 2:47 AM - Response #3

With this being a continual issue pre Notify Me classmates were given today's default settings (same as if you signed up now). Numerous complaints persisted over the situation. We did something similar with opting in all classmates pre MIP-space flagging. One can question the wisdom but many didn't even understand what the nag screen was or how to get it to go away. It's gone now. The link to change SM settings is of course appended to the bottom of every email.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 2:50 AM - Response #4

Very Happy

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM - Response #5
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 Notify Me Settings.png

So I gather that the Notify Me settings have been changed for all classmates who had "No Answer" on the Notify Me choices? It appears that the settings are per the attached screen shot. Can you confirm if this is correct?

Were the settings changed for those classmates who previously had chosen various notifications? Do admins have any options about these default settings?

BTW, I don't recall receiving any notification about this change...did I just miss the memo? Rolling Eyes

Brad Switzer wrote:

With this being a continual issue pre Notify Me classmates were given today's default settings (same as if you signed up now). Numerous complaints persisted over the situation. We did something similar with opting in all classmates pre MIP-space flagging. One can question the wisdom but many didn't even understand what the nag screen was or how to get it to go away. It's gone now. The link to change SM settings is of course appended to the bottom of every email.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM - Response #6

The question Brad is why CC didn't discuss this change and what the defaults could/should be. So instead of asking/discussing here - some mysterious vague "numerous complaints" drive the behind the scenes changes that can have a significant impact on how classmates react to unwanted notices.

I personally would NOT want the defaults implemented.

Sorry, once again I don't get it (what obviously should have been done).

[P.S. Quite a different thing from the MIP thing. Not even in the same category.]

Brad Switzer wrote:

Edited 05/21/14 8:12 PM
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM - Response #7

I'm with you on this one, Jack and any others that don't like it...all of a sudden I have over 500 notify emails....usually I only have about 150 for certain pages.

I am on vacation and trying to maintain the site...so call it a working vacation...with no sleep...not a good thing!!!ShockedShockedShocked
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!Evil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad

BRAD....YOU NEEDED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH ALL OF US!!!

NO MORE BROWNIES FROM ME!!! I'M DONE WITH THAT!!!RazzRazz

THIS ISN'T THE ONLY THING I'M P'Oed ABOUT...Evil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad

WE ALL NEED THE EVENT PLANNER LAUNCHED AND READY TO GO!...I HAVE A REUNION COMMITTEE ON MY (__)V(__) TO GET THE REUNION TICKET SALES GOING..THEY ARE ON A TIGHT BUDGET AND NEED TO GET RESERVATIONS GOING. I CAN'T CONTROL THEM ANYMORE I DO NOT CHAIR THE COMMITTEE. YOU WERE ALL SO BUSY WITH THE FB CONNECTION THING...WHICH DOESN'T WORK RIGHT AND NEEDED MORE TESTING BEFORE GOING LIVE THAT YOU LEFT OTHER THINGS ON YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER WEBSITES UNDONE AND BUGGY....THE EVENT PLANNER WAS SUPPOSE TO BE OUT BY THE END OF MARCH. WHAT'S GOING ON???
WE ALSO NEED MORE WEBPAGES...USING THE SURVEY MAKER IS A PAIN IN THE (__)V(__)!!!
PLEASE GET BACK TO YOUR ROOTS AND GET THE WEBSITE FOR REUNIONS BACK INTO YOUR FOCUS...WHO GIVES A RAT'S (__)V(__) ABOUT NOTIFY ME..IT WAS WORKING FINE....YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW..BEING IN IT ...IF IT ISN'T BROKE...DON'T FIX IT.QuestionQuestionQuestion
SORRY..IF I OFFENDED ANYONE WITH MY GRAPHICS!!! I AM NOT HAPPY...AND WHEN ME AND MY SITE ADMIS AREN'T HAPPY NO ONE IS!!!!WinkWinkWink

I KNOW THIS DOESN'T BELONG ON THIS THREAD..FEEL FREE TO MOVE IT TO THE RIGHT AREARolling EyesRolling EyesArrowArrow

Edited 05/21/14 11:31 PM
Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 12:46 AM - Response #8

Brad,

Please start from the beginning and give us an in-depth explanation of what has happened to the Notify Me function. Please say, in detail, how things used to be and how things are now.

1. For me personally, I still have the Notify Me link under Member Functions. Everything looks just like it did a week ago. I have certain boxes checked "Immediately", some Once Daily", and some "never." It appears nothing has changed for me in regards to my personal settings.

2. However, I see when I edit a page, at the bottom it now says "Notify 233 Classmates that this page has been updated." Yesterday it said, "Notify 43 Classmates that this page has been updated." So, it appears every classmate will be notified of the page change regardless of their Notify Me settings.

3. If the Notify Me link still exists, do classmates still have the capability to designate pages as "Immediately", "Once Daily" and "Never?" Or, with this new change, has everyone's Notify Me settings been changed to have every box checked "Immediately" or "Once Daily" or what?

4. I don't understand what you mean in Response #3: "the link to change SM settings is of course appended to the bottom of every email." What does SM stand for?

For now, out of respect for classmates who had checked "Never", I am not going to notify classmates of any updates until I have more clarity on how things work.

On a side note, it seems, with this change, the amount of email going through the CC system is going to skyrocket.

Edited 05/22/14 1:22 AM
Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM - Response #9

It looks like I'm not the only one struggling with this. Is there any way that the change can be rolled back and have classmates' Notify Me choices re-set to what they were before this change?

I don't want to overload classmates with email notifications that they may not want, but I would like to continue sending notifications to those classmates who want that kind of involvement. If this can't be changed to what it was before, at least I'd like to be able to explain the situation to them BEFORE they are inundated with emails so that they know how to opt out if that's what they want.

Scott, I don't know what SM stands for either, but I think it is the footnote at the bottom of the notification that says, "To change or discontinue these email notifications manage your Notify Me settings."

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 4:14 AM - Response #10

I just went to Edit Site Pages, clicked on a page to edit, and then, just above SAVE CHANGES, clicked on the link "223 classmates" in the phrase "Notify 233 Classmates that this page has been updated." This brought up the "Notify Me Statistics" page.

I see the 16 classmates that previously wished to be notified immediately are still at 16. Everyone else in the class is now in the Once Daily column. Everyone includes everyone on the Classmate Profiles list, including Guest Members.

The question remains, does the opt-in default apply to all rows on the Notify Me page, i.e. are all boxes previously checked "Never" now checked "Once Daily?" Awaiting input from CC.

After we get the input, it seems it would be wise, as a courtesy, to email the class, telling them they are now opted-in by default, and if they want to change the settings, they will have to go to the Notify Me link and adjust the settings. If I understand Brad correctly (Response 3), there is a link to the Notify Me page at the bottom of each update sent to classmates, so classmates can adjust their settings (this must be what SM settings means).

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM - Response #11

Let's save the Event Planner for a separate discussion thread. We had several holdups there, mostly PayPal related. A few things we didn't anticipate until near the end that needed some tweaking. For instance, we didn't account for what would happen in the system if somebody logged into PayPal itself and refunded people money from there. It would throw all balances out of whack. Given the critical nature of this we help up the launch until it could be addressed. Which it is now. I personally met with the lead Event Planner programmer this afternoon and this system is about to roll now. It's really beautiful and a huge leap forward vs. any Event Planner we've ever had. But again let's save the details on that for a different thread. I apologize for the delayed launch but I can assure you you'll really enjoy this new planner. It's a whole new world.

Regarding Notify Me, all functions work as they always have. The main reason we changed the "no answer" (who were virtually all from pre Notify Me) to the current defaults is many people didn't understand what the "nag screen" was or how to get it to go away. You may have never seen the nag screen, but it attempted to encourage classmates pre Notify Me to set their settings. Current defaults are Once Daily, which is seen during the signup process and easily changeable right there if desired. If any of the pre Notify Me classmates don't want once daily updates they can opt for something else, or nothing. The main reason was to eliminate the nag screen for these folks, all of whom had it if they had not set their options.

As a side note, Darlene, what do you mean when you say you "need more webpages" and you're having to use the Survey Maker for pages? This is waaaaay old school here. This changed long ago. If you click Edit Site Pages you can create as many new links as you want. Once you create a new link just edit the page and add some content. There's an unlimited # of pages you can create on your web site. I don't have exact dates in front of me but this is been the case for probably a couple of years or so now.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM - Response #12

If you read the actual concern Brad, it has nothing to do with the "nag screen" (that could have been eliminated with NOTHING else), but instead that CC forced the default to NOTIFY DAILY WITHOUT ASKING.

I don't know how clear we can be on what was done incorrectly. What if classmates don't want to be notified? Did that ever cross anyone's mind?

As a logical retort, if classmates didn't understand the nag screen (it was confusing/didn't know how to make it go away) how in the heck are they going to know how to change the settings? This default is asking for troubleExclamation

To us it's pretty obvious what the problem is with the changes.

(And Yes, I saw the nag screen and pretty much ignored it for a long time - thought it was silly Twisted Evil )

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM - Response #13

Brad,

Just to be clear (since admins don't see the updates sent to classmates), when we send them an updated page, where is the message classmates see allowing them to adjust their Notify Me settings? At the bottom of the updated page or somewhere else? Would you please screen print this message so we may see what it looks like.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM - Response #14

Classmates who never set Notify Me at all were given today's defaults which is a once daily summary of all Notify items. This was done in Programming to eliminate the nag screen and would have been better had this been implemented differently, preferably as an individual admin option. I apologize for inconvenience that it caused and have already brought it up internally. Many older accounts who may have not logged in for some time in many cases didn't even know Notify Me existed at all, with the "assumption" being anyone can easily change personal Notify Me settings. That was not a good assumption, or at least the way in which it was implemented, anyway.

Yes, it would be prudent to remind all classmates that at the bottom of all emails is a link to Notify Me, where personal preferences can be adjusted.

Jack, I agree. I'm seeing to it that future changes pertaining to this go through a better process with prudent admin notification and control. Assumption were made on this based on some pending issues and you're certainly right -- in some cases if somebody doesn't understand Notify Me, then the process of adjusting Notify Me settings won't be intuitive. It's something you have to learn and understand.

Scott Moore wrote:

I just went to Edit Site Pages, clicked on a page to edit, and then, just above SAVE CHANGES, clicked on the link "223 classmates" in the phrase "Notify 233 Classmates that this page has been updated." This brought up the "Notify Me Statistics" page.

I see the 16 classmates that previously wished to be notified immediately are still at 16. Everyone else in the class is now in the Once Daily column. Everyone includes everyone on the Classmate Profiles list, including Guest Members.

The question remains, does the opt-in default apply to all rows on the Notify Me page, i.e. are all boxes previously checked "Never" now checked "Once Daily?" Awaiting input from CC.

After we get the input, it seems it would be wise, as a courtesy, to email the class, telling them they are now opted-in by default, and if they want to change the settings, they will have to go to the Notify Me link and adjust the settings. If I understand Brad correctly (Response 3), there is a link to the Notify Me page at the bottom of each update sent to classmates, so classmates can adjust their settings (this must be what SM settings means).

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM - Response #15

Scott,

at the bottom of EVERY EMAIL from the system, it says this, "To change or discontinue these email notifications manage your Notify Me settings." and the "manage your Notify Me settings." is a link to the classmate's personal "Notify Me" settings page.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM - Response #16

I agree with all the points that Jack made. Our site has been around for a few years and every classmate joined pre Notify Me. That's one of the reasons we had many "No Answers" on the Notify Me options.

Why do we need to bug those people with emails they aren't expecting? Wouldn't it be better to leave things the way they were and continue to work the issue of contacting people about the Notify Me process?

I have not heard any concerns about the "nag screen" from our classmates.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM - Response #17

Alice, I hear where your're coming from. But in my case and many others who were here before Notify Me was implemented, many members - for a variety of reasons - never set any of their notify options. And quite a few of mine haven't logged in since shortly after our 50th reunion - five years ago. For those members, it was a catch-22 - no reason to log into the web site since nothing reminded them it was still there and active, and they couldn't set the options to hear about the changes and updates if they didn't log in.

Changing the "Not Answered" to "Once Daily" will give them some hints that our web site is alive, active, and changing. And the choice to to turn off any notify types they don't want to see. Or update some from Once Daily to Immediate.

A continuing goal for most of us has been to keep activity up, and this will give us the opportunity to do that as classmates become aware that we're still here - changing and updating our web site, and planning for a 55th reunion later this year.

That said, I wish I had known it was coming. And pre-setting the three new options to Immediate for everyone probably should have been also pre-set to Once Daily. The new ADMIN option for FBCC hints and changes which is currently set to notify everybody needs to be corrected to admins only.

But for many of the older sites, this change addressed and resolved a problem we've had since Notify Me was introduced.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 8:12 PM - Response #18

I agree 100% with John. The two sites I administer were set up before the Notify Me changes happened. Despite numerous attempts asking classmates to check their Notify Me settings, over half of our classmates were not being notified of Announcements, New Page Updates, etc. because of the Notify Me changes.

Thanks CC for making these recent changes to Notify Me. Much appreciated from this admin!

Edited 05/22/14 9:04 PM
Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM - Response #19

It's not a question of what each admin prefers, it's a question of implementing the defaults without asking or control.

The alternate interpretation of classmates not setting their options is that they don't care. Of course it's also possible they don't know how (the one Brad alluded to) and in that case they are now stuck with messages they do not want.Razz

Here's a personal example:

I had one admin who actually got annoyed with email discussions we admins were having about our last reunion. For sure she is going to be annoyed with emails from the site she never wanted (if she never set the options).

For us, the prime purpose of CC is to easily organize, administrate and communicate reunions and events. It's not meant to be an alternate FB or news site. That way any emails we send out will get much more notice vs every trivial change on the site.

Just explaining that these defaults do not respect an individual's desires (explicit or implied). Would you like it if a site forced emails on you? This is exactly the same thing. I'm actually very surprised at CC for doing this since it comes very close to being spam.

Edited 05/22/14 9:02 PM
Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 9:00 PM - Response #20

To illustrate the different degrees of skill sets (we assume everyone knows what we do), here's something that happened yesterday in helping a classmate:

She called and asked if I could get here computer working again. When I asked what was wrong she said that the big Comcast box was not working.

How big is it? I asked. As she described it I realized it was her desktop computer. Razz

(She has a failing power supply.)

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM - Response #21

Jack, In my working days, I used to back up the help desk from time to time. One of my favorites was a call asking us to send someone over to fix their coffee cup holder. Out of curiousity, we did send a tech over, and it turned out to be a dead CD drive.

To respond to your previous post, Point taken. In an ideal world (and using hindsight), if I'd known the change was being considered, I might have suggested a new preference option to set the Notify defaults for new users - and then asked that the pending change from "No Answer" duplicate the site defaults.

But it is what it is, and I have to say that what I have now is better for my users than what we had. I just posted an explaination of what was done, and how to control what email they get. And in my mind, given the option to control what email you get, it's not 'spam' unless you say no and still get it.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM - Response #22

But John, did they say YES? No they did not. It's like a site that has an option to receive their news and you didn't check either one (yes or no) and then they decide to send you "news".

If you read the email provider guidelines, that is indeed considered close to spam and one of the criteria used to blacklist email servers. Just like opt-in really. Did they opt-in for these emails? No they did not. CC opted them in.

What we are seeing here are the broad personal ideas we have for our websites. Going right back to the start - it would have been nice to let each site set the defaults. Idea (too late now since I doubt CC created a backup of all the unselected ones)

John Ralph wrote:

B And in my mind, given the option to control what email you get, it's not 'spam' unless you say no and still get it.

Edited 05/22/14 10:17 PM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 3:37 AM - Response #23
Screen capture.jpg

Today, I received an email from a class in which I'm a guest member. At the bottom of the email were the words, "To change or discontinue these email notifications manage your Notify Me settings." ("manage your Notify Me settings" was a link).

When I clicked on "manage your Notify Me settings" I was taken to a page which asked me to log in. At the top of the Log In box were the words, "Please log in first to unsubscribe from this notification." (see attached screen capture).

With all due respect, these words are inaccurate and misleading, and need to change. The intent is not to have the classmate unsubscribe. The intent is to have the classmate adjust his Notify Me settings. Clicking the Log In button took me directly to the Notify Me page, where I could adjust the settings, ranging from receiving emails immediately, once daily, or never.

CC staff, please consider changing the words to something like, "Please log in first to adjust your Notify Me settings."

This needs to happen quickly; otherwise, classmates may think that by logging in, they will be unsubscribed, as is the case with so many other internet sites.

Anyone else have a suggestion for improved wording?

Edited 05/23/14 10:36 AM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM - Response #24

Good eyes Scott. It's little things like this that we take for granted that trip up classmates.

It's hard to believe that it would but from personal phone conversations helping classmates the littlest thing (to us that have become too familiar with CC) trips them up.

Perhaps a clue stating how to get to the "Notify Me" settings? Yes it's on the left, but like I said, that which is obvious to us is not so obvious to a user who seldom logs in, especially when that part of the menu doesn't show up until they log in and then that message disappears.

Maybe something like "See the Notify Me settings under your MEMBER FUNCTIONS on the left side menu after you log in"

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM - Response #25

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Good eyes Scott.
Maybe something like "See the Notify Me settings under your MEMBER FUNCTIONS on the left side menu after you log in"

Jack, I don't see a need for these words for this reason (see screen capture in my previous message): as soon as I enter my email and password, and click the Log In button, the Notify Me page appears, where I can adjust my email preferences. That's perfect.

We just need to change the phrase above the Log In box from "Please log in first to unsubscribe from this notification" to "Please log in first to adjust your Notify Me settings."

Edited 05/23/14 11:51 AM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM - Response #26

Right, I was talking about the log in too. But since it correctly takes you there (not everything on CC does Wink ), maybe emphasize that Notify Me is where you unsubscribe from notifications. Sounds redundant to us, but clarity is the key here.

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM - Response #27

We have a multi-year website. The issue of this change in 'notify me' was multiplied by 10 compared to most single year websites. After no responses from the many emails we sent to CC we decided to take matters into our own hands. We had a lot of upset members.

1) The top announcement on our home page now reads:
GETTING TOO MANY NOTICES?
Change your “Notify Me” settings
or read these tips <—click for help

There are two clickable links.
Please try it out and let us know what you think.
Maybe it will be helpful to other class websites.

2) We also sent out a Memorial Weekend email to everyone with 4 Reminders, the 1st of which is about "Notify Me".

3) I created a new page on our HOW TO USE THIS SITE section. You'll find that on our left side menu. Please view our new page: EMAIL NOTICE TIPS, which is viewable by anyone. Let us know what you think.

Here is the link: http://www.sphsaa.org/EMAIL-NOTICE-TIPS.htm

If you have suggestions or comments all are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM - Response #28

Nice

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM - Response #29

We are losing people right and left because of these extra unwanted notifications. It breaks my heart after all the work we went to, to not overload our classmates' mailboxes, that we now have no control over what they're getting. Even sending instructions to them about how they can resolve the situation - which we can't even access to help them - it's already too much & too late. At least make a different default of no notifications for multi-years!

Edited 05/23/14 10:37 PM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM - Response #30

Yup, just lost another 3 alumni members in the past few hours. They requested to be removed from our mailing lists. Complaints of too many email notices Crying or Very sad

Edited 05/23/14 10:28 PM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM - Response #31
stats 5-23-2014.jpg

See our current stats? Can you imagine, averaging 250 visits a day for the last week, how many notifications this is generating?? Besides new classmates & profile updates, we've got a very active Veterans Survey going, having told our alumni about it in our annual newsletter that was just mailed to over 16,000 "active" classmates we have contact with. CC's alumni website system was ideal for us. But this is killing us.

Edited 05/23/14 11:03 PM
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM - Response #32

That's sad and so predictable. I can see how multi-year magnifies the issue a zillion times. Good way to check the pulse of this change - I'm a Dr Jim, not a mechanic.

This is a case of be careful what you wish for. Sure everyone wanted people to set their notify options, but to presume that the classmates wanted them is just so wrong (IMO).

The only way to fix this (and I think CC needs to put this on the TOP of things to fix) is to go to a backup, recover the old Notify Settings and reset the ones not set to NONE (or just no choice yet as it was). There may have been some changes, but compared to the future chaos having a few wrong revisions is minor in the big picture.

Yes this is possible and CC shouldn't wait for yet more complaints to roll in. This decision is very very bad for our reputation. As I said, it's a case of becoming spammy.

If a person didn't want to bother setting them, it's their choice NOT CC's not ours either - even if there were defaults.

It's time to admit the mistake (well that was sort of done) and CORRECT the mistake.

To motivate CC, what if these classmates decide to mark all this stuff as SPAM? You know what the end result of that will be.

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM - Response #33

I'm with Jack on this one.

Let the "nag screen" (responses #3 and #14) remain eliminated. Restore Notify Me settings to the way they were. Place the responsibility on admins to publicize the Notify Me feature as we see fit. We can handle it!

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 2:39 AM - Response #34

I just edited a page and noticed the number of classmates receiving email page updates is back to what it was a few days ago. We had been at 43 notifications, then jumped to 223. Now we're back to 43. Thanks, CC, for restoring things!

Anyone else seeing this as well? Don't know if it applies to just our site or to all sites.

Edited 05/24/14 3:58 AM
Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 3:43 AM - Response #35

No change yet. Could be crawling along Question

Edit: Maybe change is showing Immediate page changes only. Notify Me Statistics still shows almost the whole class as Once Daily. Let's wait and see what is going on. Could be a temp fix that only grabs Immediate and ignores Once Daily Question

Edited 05/24/14 3:59 AM
Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM - Response #36
Notify Me statistics.png

Jack, I see what you're saying. When I edit a page, at the bottom of the page, it shows we are back to 43 receiving updates, which is the way it used to be. That's good.

However, the Notify Me statistics page (see screen print) shows a different story, reflecting the changes that were implemented the other day. So, there's a disconnect. I don't know which one is correct, so will hold off sending out any updates till this is resolved.

Hopefully, CC will provide us with an update soon.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM - Response #37

Alice, Jack, Mary, Scott and Darlene,

I have adjusted your sites to the settings that were in place before this change.

FC if you would like me to do the same for your sites please list them here or email me at info@classcreator.com an I'll change your settings as well.

Rhonda and John I left your settings as is.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM - Response #38

Jessica, can you give a bit more detail please. The statistics still show the prior large counts.

Is this specifically just a coding change for our sites that is using immediate as a rule since the statistics are still showing the whole class which imply that the actual values are still the same.

If just for our class, is there work in progress to undo the whole CC system? As CC is finding out, we are the tip of the iceberg or the canaries in the mine. Cool

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM - Response #39

Thanks Jessica.

For our site, it's been a blessing. Members who haven't logged in for years were reminded that we're still here, and have re-engaged. The last three days, we've set new records for 1 day, 7 day, and 30 day logins, activity is up (and welcome), and all that is exactly why we're here and what we needed as we head for our 55th reunion this year.

The dozen people I've asked appreciate the change - including some of the old No Answer folks who are delighted to be back. A few have changed their Notify options - now that they finally know about them and understand what they are. And that's great too.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM - Response #40

Hi Jack,

I have an inquiry into the programmer for the status of the statistics page update. I'll post back here when I have more info on that.

The change will remain global other than the few listed above due to the very small number of opt-outs system-wide and the positive response in general.

Jessica

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM - Response #41

OK, but this "response" really depends on the activity of a class. Ours is relatively low, but any class that has high activity is not going to like this.

The general response here has not been positive, so unless we are some strange subset of CC, it's hard to imagine that multi-year sites (which tend to have much larger memberships) is the only exception.

Regardless, the change made is NOT according to the rules of email. They didn't opt-in, CC did it for them. Since when is that legit?

So to avoid further issues, CC really needs to reset to prior state. Or put in an option to let each admin "vote" whether to allow these forced changes to remain.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM - Response #42
Notify me stats 5-24-2014.jpg

I'd never paid attention to the Notify Me stats before and even with them reset, this is still WAY TO MANY notices going out, now that our traffic has more than tripled.

I know these folks didn't all choose to get new survey & profile photos, just as a for-instance. That had to be a CC setting. Is there a way to back these out to NO ANSWER (which should behave like NEVER) for anybody who didn't select it themselves? And default it that way on new uploads? Should I give you a list of which questions I think should be that way?

Edited 05/24/14 4:27 PM
Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM - Response #43

Jessica, Thanks! I just checked our Notify Me Statistics, and they appear to be as I remembered them before the change, with the exception that the "No Response" settings have now been lumped in with "Never."

I've been out of touch for the past couple of days, and just checked back in on this topic to read all the discussion since response #16. (side note: interestingly, none of the subsequent responses to this thread were directed to my email, and usually when I comment on a thread I receive emails about subsequent comments)

Anyway, regarding the inappropriateness of CC changing the Notify Me settings for our classmates, I totally agree with Jack's comments, and I am happy that you were able to restore the settings on our site. Now I can work on reminding classmates about the Notify Me process and let them choose the level of involvement that each of them wants. Of course, I'll have to explain that if they previously had not setup Notify Me, they now have been marked as "Never," and tell them they can adjust if they want.

I'm happy with having our Notify Me settings reset (please don't change them again), but it still seems a little awkward to have exception processing only for those of us who expressed concerns. Do you plan to give other admins the option to have their settings rolled back? It seems to me that these settings should have been grandfathered for existing classmates, and defaults set up as new classmates join, however that didn't happen, so we go forward from here.

Jessica wrote:

I have adjusted your sites to the settings that were in place before this change.

FC if you would like me to do the same for your sites please list them here or email me at info@classcreator.com an I'll change your settings as well.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM - Response #44

Jessica wrote:

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Jessica,

My sites are ok.

FC

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM - Response #45

What a difference half-a-day makes! Now our Notify Me stats finally make sense. Thanks for listening. Smile

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM - Response #46

Our Notify Me statistics are also back to where they were. Thank you.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM - Response #47

Hi Debbie,

I changed your settings to the settings prior to this change. If any classmate has change their settings recently those will remain in place as this only affected users who had never set their Notify Me settings. All users still have full control over their own Notify Me settings to turn on or off any notifications they no longer wish to receive.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM - Response #48

According to Mary, there still seems to be an unresolved issue with the photo galleries. If you are subscribed to get notifications, you receive them from EVERYONE regardless of who you are subscribed too. This is a pretty big deal on a multi-year website like ours.

Has anyone had issues with this or any of the other subscription choices?

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM - Response #49

Bruce, Are you talking about photo galleries, or profile photos? Seems like I remember a problem with too many notifies about profile photo updates not too long ago, but I thought they fixed that.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM - Response #50

Gallery photos

Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM - Response #51

Photo Galleries are site wide galleries - they aren't broken down by years.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, June 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM - Response #52

Jessica wrote:

Photo Galleries are site wide galleries - they aren't broken down by years.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

THAT is an issue that should be resolved on the Multi-Year websites.

I suggest it be indicated that in the Notify Me section under the selection: "Pictures Have Been Added to a Photo Gallery", something like this below it, "this selection is a site wide selection", or "you will receive notices for anyone that updates the photo galleries". Or better yet, allow the multi-year site members to be able to select class years or individuals or HAVE THIS SELECTION TIED INTO THEIR OWN PERSONAL SELECTIONS, which makes the most sense to me.

By the way, are there any other choices that are site wide like this one?

Thanks,

Bruce

Monday, June 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM - Response #53

Thanks Bruce. I understand the concern and we will discuss it internally.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM - Response #54

Debbie,

Thanks for pointing that out. It was an error only in STATISTICS, there were never 227 people set to Never. It is fixed now.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM - Response #55

I'm confused. My stats still say NEVER. Are you saying it should have reverted to no answer (IOW, not show any selection) as it used to be?)

Or are you talking about just the Message from Admin? Debbie just gave a "for instance" not that was the only one that was that way. That's the way I read it anyway.

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Debbie,

Thanks for pointing that out. It was an error only in STATISTICS, there were never 227 people set to Never. It is fixed now.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM - Response #56

Jack, As I understand it, the revert restored those who used to be "Not Selected" to the functional equivilent of "Never".

I'm still not sure what that new admin only option is supposed to do and why it still says it will notify everyone with an email address...

Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM - Response #57

John you are correct. We no longer have a "Not Selected" option - anyone who was reverted was assigned to "Never".

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM - Response #58

Not to be picky, but that's not 'reverted' Cool

That's also not what John said, he said "functional equivalent".

I said it was set to 'Never'

--------------------

re·vert
ri'v?rt/
verb
past tense: reverted; past participle: reverted

return to (a previous state, condition, practice, etc.).

Jessica wrote:

John you are correct. We no longer have a "Not Selected" option - anyone who was reverted was assigned to "Never".

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM - Response #59

Just to be on record I am sending a request to Jessica to put my site back the way it was. After posting an obit emails were sent which caused folks to see and take a survey that we were just launching which caused more emails to be sent. While this sounds good now the questions are starting to come to me about spam from our site. I prefer as the default to send out emails announcing major events. Not to have minor events generate more emails.....dave

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.