ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Notify Me discrepancies & an oddity

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/13/12 05:52 PM Views: 1431 Replies: 11
Friday, July 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM

The list of Notify Me options in the email I received from Brad is different from the list in our website’s Notify Me page. Are the actual options going to change soon?

I don’t understand why the option to be notified if “An administrator sends an email to all Website Members” is “strongly recommended.” Isn’t that notification mostly redundant if the member is already getting the admin’s email? Does the member need to know the message was sent to everybody rather than just one or a few?

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM - Response #1

The preference you refer to is the Notify Flag, which, if set to Never, means that classmates do not receive any messages sent from Email the Class. It isn't about being notified that the admin has emailed the class, it is about actually being sent the email message.

How do the options differ in your case from what was in the notice? It might be due to the settings on your site.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM - Response #2

The preference you refer to is the Notify Flag, which, if set to Never, means that classmates do not receive any messages sent from Email the Class. It isn't about being notified that the admin has emailed the class, it is about actually being sent the email message.

How do the options differ in your case from what was in the notice? It might be due to the settings on your site.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM - Response #3

Letting members choose not to receive class emails is a reasonable option, but it really needs to be reworded. Read from the beginning, "Notify me by email when ... An administrator sends an email to all Website Members" definitely doesn't say that.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM - Response #4

Differences are underlined. (I didn't check this carefully.)

Options listed in my email from Brad:

* I receive a new personal message
* Someone leaves a comment on my profile
* Pictures have been added to a photo gallery
* A Classmate has been added to In Memory
* A Classmate posts an In Memory comment
* A new reunion or event is being planned
* A new announcement has been posted
* A new Classmate joins the site
* Two or more people are in Live Chat
* Pages on the site have been added or updated
* A Missing Classmate has been found

Options listed on our website:

I receive a new personal message
Pictures have been added to a photo gallery
A new reunion or event is being planned
A new announcement has been posted
A survey receives new responses
Two or more people are in Live Chat
Pages on the site have been added or updated
An administrator sends an email to all Website Members (strongly recommended)

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM - Response #5

I do not think the class member should be able to opt out of getting a broadcast message from admins. The whole point of of having the website is to be able to communicate. I think by joining the website, it is implied that they will get messages. I understand the need for privacy but I think sometimes we worry about the wrong things.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM - Response #6

I totally agree with Charlie. One of the best features of CC is Email The Class.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM - Response #7

I agree. As an administrator I limit my emails to the class to those I feel all would want to know about. It also saves me from putting 175 new email addresses in my personal address book. One shot does it. I only have one person who opts out of receiving email from the website. His loss - if important notices are going out.

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM - Response #8

I think it is the law or a rule to not be considered as a spammer, you must allow the receiver of the email to opt out of receiving future emails. At the bottom of all emails there is now a link to the Notify Me page. This is how they would opt out of class emails by choosing the "an administrator sends an email to all website members"

Friday, July 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM - Response #9

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you're a programmer and you just can't stand to leave well enough alone. I know - I was one!

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM - Response #10

I understand offering the opt out, but sure like Charlie's thought.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM - Response #11

I see both sides of the issue here.
Another example for a 'member' wanting to opt out of the emails:
We have several who are from other classes or relatives of a deceased classmate, and they don't see the need - or want- to be notified of reunions, lunch get togethers', etc., yet they want to feel connected by being on the site, and staying in touch with others.
I think this is a classic example of "there will never be one 'perfect fit' for everyone, every time."

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.