ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Survey results

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/27/10 09:26 PM Views: 2235 Replies: 19
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM

For our interest survey we anticipate a large number of surveys filled out (even if we get a 5% return on the 4500, we're still looking at over 200 surveys to deal with and we expect more when we mail out the information to another 11,000). Because we're asking people on what committees and on what tasks they might like to volunteer time for, we will need to look at each survey and tabulate those results.

Right now, the only way to do this is to look at each one and then after we look there's no way we see to indicate it has been tabulated. It would be splendid if we could get an electronic download of the results of each survey in one file. While I recognize this will be tricky because of multiple answers per question. Since you do collect statistics overall, perhaps there's a way to collect the answers and write a file???

Thanks for considering this request.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM - Response #1

We will build a Survey export tool.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM - Response #2

Thank you very much!!!

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM - Response #3

Alright, your feedback is requested.

From the list of surveys on your site, click on the "stats" link to see the stats for a specific survey. Below the stats, and above the list of people who have and have not responded, you'll see a new button that says "View/Print Results (BETA)"

Check it out.

Rick

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM - Response #4

Excellent, Rick.

Very nice printable report to be shared with the committee.

My one active survey is mostly open-ended questions so having the comments is good.

It might be nice to have an alternative print function WITHOUT showing the names of the respondents.... just the answers. Preserve anonymity for the respondents.

Somewhere down the road, it would be nice to have cross-tabbed calculations. This can only be done with check-boxes and radio-button answers.

Speaking as someone who conducted surveys for 30+ years, I can say this is an excellent start and can be a useful tool for admins and reunion committees.

What we are collecting is "anecdotal" responses. That's fine, it's useful feedback.

The true usefulness will be in how questions are crafted and assuring that the answer choices represent all possible choices (including "none of the above".) i.e. No "Have you stopped beating your wife?" questions. Rolling Eyes

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM - Response #5

This looks real good. Lots of usable information. A couple of additional features that would be helpful.

It would be most useful to include a column for the email address (assuming of course that this is only viewable by the administrators). Even better would be the ability to pull of the information for a question into a spreadsheet which would add in the email address. That way, for example, we could sort by the answer of the person and ask just those folks a particular additional question. For us this would be helpful for questions 1 and 2.

I'm not sure how you'd do it, for questions 3 and 4 it would be particularly useful to get a spreadsheet export which would allow us to pick off individuals with particular times they want to volunteer and also by particular interest. (For example someone who's in charge of the website work might like to email just those who have mentioned something with database work).

Export into spreadsheet would also be useful to get at just those who answered certain sparsely answered questions.

I know that for lots of reunions, this might not be helpful, but we fully expect many thousands to sign up and several hundred to volunteer, so any way we can "slice and dice" this information without manually going to each page to find an email (actually, phone numbers on the spreadsheet would help, too) is very useful.

I hope that helps - marvelous start as the other individual noted.

Thanks

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM - Response #6

John what exactly do you mean by cross-tabbed calculations? Can you provide an example?

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 7:22 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

John what exactly do you mean by cross-tabbed calculations? Can you provide an example?

Questions
1. How old are you? (18-29 / 30-49 / 50-65 / 65+ / no answer)
2. Are you: (male / female / no answer)
3. Did you attend the last reunion? (yes / no / can't remember)
4. Will you attend the next reunion? (yes / no / not sure )

Results in a table: (Which I can't simulate)

............................All.....18-29....30-49....50-65 etc
All....................100%.......25%...........30% etc

Question: Age:
Age 18-29...............25%......100%......--%......--% etc
Age 30-49...............30% etc

Question Attend Next:
Attend Next "Yes".......55%.......22%......35%.......45%
Attend Next "No"........40%.......68%......55% etc
Attend Next "Not Sure"...5%.......10%......10% etc

Each Answer Choice across the top and down the left side. Percentages show the percent of the subgroup named at the top who gave the answer choice shown in the row.

This table shows a big difference in plans to attend based on age. Overall 55% of respondents plan to attend; but only 22% of those 18-29 vs 45% of those 50-65. The 18-29 year olds make up 25% of the survey respondents. The 30-49 age group makes up 30% of the total group.

The actual numbers in this example are pulled from thin air and are not logical. i.e. 55% overall attendees can't be higher than the three lower numbers by different age groups. Just demonstrating the idea of the cross tab.

Edited 08/02/10 7:39 PM
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 7:22 PM - Response #8

Thank you Joseph.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 1:50 AM - Response #9

Wow - just noticed that you now have the ability to export lots of that information from the survey into a spreadsheet. I haven't tried any of them yet, but this will be very much welcomed at the meeting Wednesday (tonight) by those who will be sifting through the responses.

Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how things go.

Joe

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM - Response #10

We had our meeting last night and they were impressed by the information you helped me provide. Two things did come up. Several thought they would like to see the graduation year listed along with the email address (trying to get as much intergenerational collaboration going). Another was they'd like to see the membername linked back to the person's main profile page which shows other stuff like the address and town.

Possibilities? You've done great work with this so far! Thanks

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM - Response #11

Email and Year have been added to the export.

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM - Response #12

Thank you - this is becoming more useful all of the time.

Two additional requests and a comment...
1. To the export can the date the question was answered by each classmate (that would of course be the same for any particular classmate)? The reason is that at different times when someone extracts the results several different times, it would be useful to determine which ones they've already seen and this could be determined by sorting on the date field - as this survey grows (and we're doing more emailing and also doing a snail mailing of nearly 15,000) we expect the results of this survey to grow. Anyway, this would be most useful as we move forward

2. On the displayed version, could each person's name be a link to the person's main profile page? The one person to whom I was showing this to, wanted to see where they were located before asking them to do something that wouldn't make sense unless they lived around Milwaukee - also that gave him access to a phone number if that was provided. This would also be very useful for us

3. I noticed that the full display of all results is gone - not sure if that's needed, but if you can print all, it seems like you should be able to display all, too. I found the full display useful (when it was available) to just show a few people what information we had - I suppose it gets less useful as we get more people answering the survey.

Anyway thanks for the excellent work and support we're getting from you and the others.

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM - Response #13

#1 - we can't export the dates the questions were answered because we don't store that information.

#2 - I've added direct profile links to the non-print views of the profile export.

#3 - The "Print All" and "Export All" links are above the list of questions on the main export page.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM - Response #14

Rick Root wrote:

#1 - we can't export the dates the questions were answered because we don't store that information.

--> I would ask that storing the date when a survey was done be added to a list of "to-do"s. This would really be helpful.

#2 - I've added direct profile links to the non-print views of the profile export.

--> Thank you - works great

#3 - The "Print All" and "Export All" links are above the list of questions on the main export page.

--> Thank you again!

Joe

Edited 08/11/10 10:37 PM
Monday, September 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM - Response #15

I looked at the results of the survey we had up, and I really like the foremat of how it displays when initially clicking on the 'Stats' block.
Is there a way to make it display for posting on a page?
I promised my classmates that all names would be kept confidential.
I have clicked-drag-copy-pasted the info into another page, as well as a word document, and taking the time to remove the names, but just can't get it to look worth a darn!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM - Response #16

Very glad you asked this Steve. It's important to understand that ONLY ADMINS can see individual Classmates' answers. So while you're seeing the ability to click and see who answered what how, no regular Classmates can do this at all. They just see group results. So my recommendation here for you is while viewing your results page copy the entire web address, and then on your home page or wherever else you'd like (or even in an email) create a link to the survey results. Of course, you can just set the results to public, and then your Classmates can also click on the Survey name again and then click the button to view the group results. So create your own link if you wish or just let them go back to the survey page to get the answers, the important thing to understand here is Classmates never have access to people's specific answers even if you have set the results to public.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 3:13 AM - Response #17

Awesome!
I was dreading doing all that editing.
Guess I need to starat reading more.
You folks are THE GREATEST!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM - Response #18

Since we're finally getting around to following up on the donations question, both that committee head and I noticed that the names listed on the spreadsheet are in one column instead of the spreadsheet instead of in separate columns. She'd like to get that list alphabetized. I noticed this is true of all the exported data from the survey. Can this happen? Also she noted (as I had before) that capturing the date when the survey was input would be very helpful when we make future exports of the data so that we can easily sort the newest ones and concentrate on those (so that's two votes for that future enhancement - capturing the date when entered and including it on the export and in the display). Thanks

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM - Response #19

We probably won't be working on Survey Maker again for awhile, but I will Task both of these requests for Programming next time we're in there. Thanks Joe.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.