ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Teacher and Staff in Memory

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/18/15 09:18 AM Views: 1675 Replies: 13
Friday, December 18, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Is there or can an optional in memory option be created for Teachers and Staff> Currently the options are Classmates and Guests. I created a separate tab to honor the deaducators. I would like to add them to the In Memory area but not as guests. We were guests in their classrooms.

Thanks

Edited 08/26/19 11:29 PM
Friday, December 18, 2015 at 9:45 AM - Response #1

The two choices for single year websites are "classmates" and "guests". Multi-year websites can add teachers as a category, but that is not available for single year websites.

Friday, December 18, 2015 at 10:13 AM - Response #2

Why not?

Friday, December 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM - Response #3

The reasoning was that the teachers would need to join multiple class websites and would need to keep several profiles up to date. If there was a place where they could sign up just once, it would be less work for the teachers to sign up and so there would be more success in requesting that the teachers sign up.

It was a design decision that has been around in the system ever since multiple-year websites were designed.

Friday, December 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM - Response #4

I like this, Steve: "We were guests in their classrooms."

I would like to add to Kyle's information that we have the ability to add icons to our sites that will be placed next to the member's name. I admit, I have not used that option but am about to on a Navy air craft carrier story site. I will use the icons to show who served in the different years of the ship's history. This would be a helpful way to show which members were faculty and staff.

Other than using the icons, the only way to is to use a multi year site. Personally, I would use the icons vs. changing a single year site to a multi year site for your need. If at anytime you wish to invite other class years to join yours - all alumni or a range of class years, then you would have the separate teacher listing.

Perhaps another admin has one or more icons they have used for faculty and staff and will share with us here.

[quote="Steve Sipos"]Is there or can an optional in memory option be created for Teachers and Staff> Currently the options are Classmates and Guests. I created a separate tab to honor the deaducators. I would like to add them to the In Memory area but not as guests. We were guests in their classrooms.

Friday, December 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM - Response #5

So our former teachers and staff have to be added as guests to our sites, before to their passing, and they need to open an account themselves, for us to have a way for them to be memorialized the way we do our classmates? And the only way we could display them their pictures and the profile link for the person would be to place these two things in the area for the students? Perhaps we could have a section on the same memorial page, below the classmate one, for guests with the option to customize the title label for this section of the overall page? It could work girl single or multiple year sites.

I like the idea of icons. It has great possibility and merits consideration but it seems as though it would be more respectful to have a section or page to honor these people who gave a part of themselves to our educational experience.

Edited 12/18/15 11:33 AM
Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM - Response #6

On our site, we have separate In Memory pages for classmates, high school staff, high school faculty, K-8th grade faculty and staff, and church pastors. If you hover over the In Memory link, you'll see how we do it.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM - Response #8

Steve, thanks for your kind words and for sharing the RIP Teachers and Staff pages!

Monday, August 26, 2019 at 7:35 PM - Response #9

I want to do something similar to above, seperating the Classmates In Memory page from the Faculty & Staff In Memory page. Is there a way to do this and have each page run the same way where each faculty has his own memory page like they do on the classmate one? When I copy the page, it only gives me one page to work with. Not a true copy of the In Memory page. (I hope this makes sense.)

Monday, August 26, 2019 at 7:38 PM - Response #10

Yes, I have a multi year site, and the Faculty Staff category is showing but is at the bottom. Lots don't scroll down to see it. Is there a way to have the Faculty Staff on it's own In Memory page?

Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:11 PM - Response #11

Lynn,

Please look at these pages on our site to see how we handle our In Memory (we call them Life Tributes) entries for faculty and staff: Hover over the Life Tributes page. A menu appears to the right. Click on the ELHS Staff, ELHS Faculty, and K-8th Faculty and Staff pages.

If you do it like we do, you don't need to register the faculty as classmates, i.e. they won't have a profile like regular classmates or guests do.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 1:02 AM - Response #12

That's pretty nice with a word of caution. If you get an extremely long page to edit with the CC editor, two things can happen.

1. The response time can get very long - IOW slow editing.
2. The editor can mess up your complete page with just a simple mistake. Very difficult to figure out. (It actually modifies your text.)

It's a bit easier (in terms of editing) to create a new page for each entry. Applies to any pages that are very long. Splitting them up makes maintenance a lot faster and foolproof.

Edited 08/27/19 1:02 AM
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 2:10 AM - Response #13

I had looked at your site. I like it very much, but mine is a multi year, and since our school is no longer there, it is classes 1920-2013, so there is a LOT of faculty, and a lot of them like being on the site.

I like what you have done, but would rather have them on their own individual pages (like the classmates are) so others can leave comments and notes like they do on the classmates.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.