ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Hijack prevention measure

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/26/09 10:53 PM Views: 1408 Replies: 6
Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I know there's already the option to approve new members before they have full access in order to prevent hijackers or fake accounts. However, with the new bounce back feature, does the welcome message sent to the new member bounce and go to our bounce back area if the email isn't valid?

I just sent an email the class yesterday and found out someone joined with a fake account. It would make it very easy to discern if someone gives a fake email address if their welcome message received when they join the site goes to the bounce back area.

So, does it? If it doesn't, I think that would be a great feature that will save many of us the hassle of having fake people join because we will know almost immediately after they register.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM - Response #1

The answer is, if it bounces it does, and if it doesn't bounce, it doesn't. Typically a fake email address would bounce back, yes. But, we have no control over what other emails servers do with incoming email. Based on the email address entered by the hijacker, there could be reasons why the receiving email server doesn't kick back a bounceback.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

The answer is, if it bounces it does, and if it doesn't bounce, it doesn't. Typically a fake email address would bounce back, yes. But, we have no control over what other emails servers do with incoming email. Based on the email address entered by the hijacker, there could be reasons why the receiving email server doesn't kick back a bounceback.

OK, but for most intents and purposes, if someone signs up with a fake email that doesn't exist, we will be notified by the bounce back feature. Right?

I could see if the hijacker or faker put in what they thought was a fake address that turned out to be legit belonging to someone else, then it wouldn't bounce.

I found out the faker was fake b/c comcast said Mon 2009-01-26 03:02:23: <-- 550 5.1.1 Not our Customer

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 12:28 AM - Response #3

Cathy Plotnick wrote:

OK, but for most intents and purposes, if someone signs up with a fake email that doesn't exist, we will be notified by the bounce back feature. Right?

Most likely, yes.

Edited 01/27/09 12:28 AM
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM - Response #4

Both of our website admins received a 'happy birthday' email from someone who is not a member of our site.

The email had the same design/format as the ones sent out by admins from the website.

I tried twice to email you privately with attachment of the email, but both times, I got a 'connection interrupted' error page. How else can I send you the attachment?

Please advise if this is a possible hijacking issue, as I am obviously concerned about personal data security for our members.

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM - Response #5

Hi Priscilla,

Please forward them to info@classcreator.com and I'll take a look.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM - Response #6

Sent.

Thanks very much for your help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.