ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Finding Photos by Filename

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/21/14 10:27 AM Views: 713 Replies: 11
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I've imported a large number of photos that a classmate had on his own site of our last reunion. He had captions for these photos. I want to enter the same captions. The most efficient way would be to search for each photo by its filename, but I can't figure out how to do that. I have printouts of all of his photos with the caption and the filename. If I could search by filename, I could easily find each photo and retype the caption. Is there a way to do this? The alternative would be to use his html (I've download his complete photo gallery), upload it and then create a link to these pages. I'm not sure how to do that either with your system. I could easily do it in WordPress. Please advise. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM - Response #1

Is the classmate link with the photos open to the public? Can you post the link?

If so, depending on how it's done, maybe I can explain how to do this on CC.

There are many things to consider.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM - Response #2

No, it is not open to the public. Thanks anyway for your offer. I guess what I need is access to the source code, which seems to be thoroughly hidden in CC. I guess I'll just opt for using a link to my classmates html which I can upload to a separate page. Seems the easiest way under the circumstances.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM - Response #3

If the classmate's link is not open to the public, then linking to your classmates html won't workExclamation

Maybe you meant copying his html into a CC page? That's the simplest way but without seeing the actual html not sure (it may be relying on special CSS or javascript). Not impossible, just needs some tinkering to make it work in the CC environment.

You can see the underlying code here by using "View Source" in your browser. Server side code is not possible to change but the rest is pretty flexible within the boundaries given. Explore what is called the "File Vault" to see how to store files (via the CC html editor).

The File Vault is one place and method you can use to store the files by name - although it's a tad clumsy right now since only one file at a time can be uploaded. You can also link images from other sites so long as file access is public. I've used both to construct image viewing.

Edited 01/21/14 5:53 PM
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM - Response #4

Yes, I got it done by uploading to a folder in the File Vault, and then linking the main index.html file to a menu link. It seems to be working fine, but the one file at a time upload was a real pain in the butt. I had to uploaded 68 thumbnails, 68 full res photos, 68 page files and 9 index files, and a background color file. I then had to edit the index files to place links to return to the home page. But, it all seems to be working fine now! There's got to be a better way, but it would require some rethinking by CC of the flexibility they want to build into their site building system.

Edited 01/22/14 12:26 AM
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:04 AM - Response #5

Yup. Every once in a while some of us remind them that some of the tools are ultra clumsyIdea There's a topic about a month ago where upload and delete (you have no idea how hard mass deletes are) improvements were desired.

Sounds like you are experienced enough to figure out my blurb. Welcome aboard.

I think you'll find that aside from some awkwardness, you can do a lot beyond just the stuff CC provides.

Carl Denbow wrote:

There's got to be a better way, but it would require some rethinking by CC of the flexibility they want to build into their site building system.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:12 AM - Response #6

Well not only mass deletes, but mass almost anything. I have about 800 photos that need to assigned to another classmate rather than me, and it wants me to hand check the little box by each picture. There's no mechanism to "select all." A very basic tool for this type of environment.

Edited 01/22/14 1:13 AM
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM - Response #7

There are still quite a few tools and options that some of us would consider "basic" which are not yet available.
The good news is that Class Creator listens and many of those have been added to the system over the years.
The not-as-good-news is that some get pushed aside or forgotton when priorities shift and demands for limited resources take their toll.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM - Response #8

I need more info on this. "I have about 800 photos that need to assigned to another classmate rather than me." I don't understand what this means. Are you saying you're wanting to upload 800 photos on behalf of other classmates? When you upload photos into Profiles the green checkmark should automatically be activated on all. You shouldn't have to go hand select those. If that's not happening, or if I'm missing what you're trying to attempt, please let me know.

Carl Denbow wrote:

Well not only mass deletes, but mass almost anything. I have about 800 photos that need to assigned to another classmate rather than me, and it wants me to hand check the little box by each picture. There's no mechanism to "select all." A very basic tool for this type of environment.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM - Response #9

FYI I just completed a bulk upload test and all green checkmarks are on all photos by default. Not finding an issue. Please give me an exact account of what you're doing, as well as exactly what you'd like the system to do that it's not currently doing. Thanks.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM - Response #10

I inadvertently uploaded them under my name instead of the classmate's, and now I'm reassigning them to him. I'd like to be able to select all these files rather than having to check them each individually in the gallery dialogue screen. (Sent from my iPhone)

Edited 01/23/14 3:41 PM
Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM - Response #11

Oh I see, you're in gallery. And you're trying to move photos. I get it. Yea, arguably the move tool's functionality could be expanded. Agreed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.