ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Trouble with AOL & Duplicate Pix on Then and Now page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/08/08 02:41 AM Views: 1270 Replies: 2
Monday, December 8, 2008 at 2:41 AM

We've got a problem with an updated photo on our Then & Now page. The user using AOL's browser, updated her picture in her Profile with a new picture. My co-admin then updated the "now" picture on the Then and Now Page. Then, she deleted the newly updated photo and uploaded a new one(although it could have been the same photo again but I'm not sure). Now, her updated photo is appearing on the Then and Now page just fine whenever anyone uses Internet Explorer but if you go through AOL's browser, you see duplicates of her "then" photo side by side instead of the "then and now" ones side by side. I asked her to refresh the cache on her Then and Now page but nothing. I went into my AOL account and then our website and sure enough -- duplicates of the then pix. But not if I go through IE. Any idea what might have happened and how can we fix it?

Edited 10/31/09 1:37 PM
Monday, December 8, 2008 at 3:49 AM - Response #1

well, I'm now thinking it could be a user error -- that perhaps the user didn't really clear the AOL cache after all - they don't make it simple - I sent her instructions on how to do that and we'll see if that helps. Otherwise, the co-admin will delete the pictures, rename the ones he has on his computer and upload them again to the Then and Now page.

Monday, December 8, 2008 at 10:59 AM - Response #2

AOL may be temporarily caching pages, so it may be that it's just taking a little while to show the update.

Also, make sure you're never copying and pasting pictures from a Profile to another part of your site. If you do that and the Classmate then changes or deletes the photo, it will also delete it from the other part of the site you copied it to. Instead, you want to:

1) Right click the photo and save it.
2) Reupload it to the part of the site you want it on.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.