ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Blue bar

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/02/09 07:23 AM Views: 1426 Replies: 5
Friday, October 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM

I trying to use a blue separator bar between the different subjects on my home page, announcements and other links but am having problems getting them to work properly. I found what I wanted on the internet at http://www.spartanburg2.k12.sc.us/csf/My%20Pictures/blue%20line%20moving.gif I took and copied the file My%Pictures%Blue%Line%Moving.gif to my local computer then uploaded it to my website, problem is it doesn’t twinkle like it is suppose to. Other .gif files that I am using work fine, I can’t figure out if it is me, the server, or something wrong with my copy of the gif. Currently it is pulling from the original website, and while that works, I’d rather it be pulling from my web address, I think the web page probably runs more efficiently that way.

A general question for you. I use Announcements to control a large part of what I am doing, I turn them on and off to keep the webpage ever changing. When they are turned off they are not also loading are they? I was concerned that they might be and you just could not see them. I want to keep in mind those folks that have a slow connection to the internet.

Thanks for all your great work. How is your Dad doing?

Doug

Edited 10/02/09 7:24 AM
Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM - Response #1

Hi Doug,

one thing I noticed is that when I type in the name of your File Vault graphic in the URL window of my browser in FireFox, it says it is a GIF, but doesn't say it is animated.

http://www.classcreator.com/000/1/1/5/11511/userfiles/image/blue_line_moving.gif

when I copy the link below to my FireFox browser URL, then right-click on the graphic and choose PROPERTIES, it says ANIMATED GIF, 7 frames.

http://www.spartanburg2.k12.sc.us/csf/My%20Pictures/blue%20line%20moving.gif

For that reason, I don't think that your Image Vault image got saved right.

This is what I think is happening. The Image Vault saw that the line was too long, so it resized it before saving it to the image vault. If you somehow resized the image (all 7 frames) and then resaved it before uploading it to the image vault, it would see the size that it is correct and not resize the image.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM - Response #2

Kyle,

That's a thought, I'll give it a try over the weekend and see what happens.

Thanks,
Doug

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM - Response #3

This link might be helpful

http://www.bakker.org/cfm/graphics05.htm

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM - Response #4

Dad is hanging in there. Now going on 70 some days of hospitiliation, not much fun for anyone... But we remain optimistic.

If you upload a GIF animation that is wider than the space you have available or it, our system will resize it down to fit correctly and only preserve your first frame of the animation. If this is happening simply resize the image to a proper size before uploading it.

If you need to resize a GIF animation be sure you use a resizing program that preserves animated frames on the resize. One program that does this is Irfanview at www.irfanview.com. If you resize the image there and then upload it should work fine.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM - Response #5

Brad,

Keep the faith with your Dad.

I came up with a work around on my problem. I uploaded the bar as a picture on my own profile, then copied it to the pages I wanted to use it on. It seems to be working fine. I apprreciate all yors and Kyles suggestions, but I couldn't get it to work without spending a lot of time reading the documentation. Some time when i have a few moments I'll go back and see if I can use the editing tools.

Catch you later,
Doug

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.