ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Issues adding Deceased Classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/07/22 11:08 AM Views: 480 Replies: 17
Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM

I need to add a newly deceased classmate to my In Memory page. If I edit the page and type the first and/or last name into the "Enter the first or last name of the person you want to add:" field, nothing happens. No list of individuals appears. If I try simply typing the name and click the "Add Deceased Classmate" button, the message returned is "Type in part of a name, wait for the list to appear, then select a person from that list." As stated, no list is appearing regardless of what I type. Can this be corrected on the ClassCreator site ASAP, please?? Thank you for your prompt attention.

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 12:03 PM - Response #1

Hi Laura,

We are checking into this now.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 12:50 PM - Response #2

You don't have to type anything. After opening up the In Memory page on Edit Site Pages, you click on the "Select Below" box, then click on the name of the classmate, then click on "Add Selected Deceased Classmate."

Of course, the deceased classmate must be a member of your site, i.e. must have joined your site. If he/she has not joined the site, you must first make them a member yourself, and then follow the procedure in the first paragraph.

Edited 01/07/22 12:52 PM
Friday, January 7, 2022 at 1:39 PM - Response #3
9ABBDDE3-A5B8-410B-8E3E-986886EE474C.png

Where is this box??? I don’t see anything like this on my page. See attached.

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 2:49 PM - Response #4
In Memory page.jpg

Under Admin Functions, when I click on Edit Site Pages, for the In Memory Page, I click on "Edit Page." Then, just above where it says Display "By Year Deceased" or "Alphabetically", there are two boxes. The first box says "Select below." When I click on that box, a list of classmates who have joined the site appears. I click on the classmate's name who is deceased. Then I click on the adjacent box, "Add Selected Deceased Classmate."

Edited 01/07/22 4:20 PM
Friday, January 7, 2022 at 5:47 PM - Response #5

Try again. The search script was acting up so we made it a dropdown.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 6:13 PM - Response #6

Great, Jessica! It appears to be working now. I appreciate your prompt attention.

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 10:00 PM - Response #7

Hi Jessica,

I am having the same problem. The box where you type in the name is still coming up as a drop down with all the students. Is this going to be permanent? Thanks

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11:18 PM - Response #8
In Memory page.jpg

Catherine,

For what it's worth, if the drop down box to which you refer is the same as the one in my response #4 above (see photo), that's all I've ever seen since 2009 when our site launched. And it's worked perfectly.

Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11:52 PM - Response #9

Yes based on feedback so far we plan to keep the dropdown.

Jessica

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 2:06 AM - Response #10

It takes so long when there is a drop down menu & you have to scroll through the entire list. My database is over 5,000 students.

Is a trick to do a search within the drop down menu?

Thank you.

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 2:27 AM - Response #11

Just type in the first couple of letters of the last name and that will narrow it down. Or type in the full last name if you'd like.

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 2:48 AM - Response #12
Capture.PNG

Thanks for the response. There is nowhere for me type in the name anymore, that function is no longer available. That is why I asked if there was a search function within the drop down menu.

See the attached picture below to what looks like now. Smile

Edited 01/08/22 2:48 AM
Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 2:51 AM - Response #13

Scott,
We've never had the drop down box before. It started appearing this week. Smile

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 3:03 AM - Response #14

Catherine and Debbie,
I see from Jessica's responses #5 and #9 that every site now appears to have been converted to the dropdown box. Catherine, I sympathize with your situation of having 5000 names to scroll through. Maybe something can be done to help you. I know other administrators of multi-year sites, like Ray Guim, who manages 28,000 classmates on his site, will have a difficult time with a dropdown box.

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 4:23 AM - Response #15
Add deceased.jpg

Catherine, just click inside that box and enter the first letter of the last name, or two or three if you want to narrow it down further. You will then see all the names beginning with that letter or two, etc. I entered "sm" for the screenshot. Try entering just one letter and then keep clicking inside the box, it will scroll through all the names beginning with that letter you entered. When it reaches the end of that list, it will go back to the first name beginning with that letter.

I've always had a dropdown box.

Forgot to add, this doesn't seem to work on my phone. When I click on the box, I just get the whole list of classmates and need to scroll down until I find the right name.

Edited 01/08/22 4:43 AM
Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 11:52 AM - Response #16

Debbie, thanks for letting me know about this feature of typing the first letter(s) of the last name to quickly get to the name of the deceased. All these years, I've been unaware I could do this. For multi-year classes with thousands of names, this is an invaluable technique. I hope CC adds a video about this technique under Help Video Tutorials in the Support section at classcreator.com.

Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 12:43 PM - Response #17

Pretty much ALL dropdown type selections allow one to type a letter and it jumps to that section. IOW, it's a standard feature, unless a programmer disabled it Very Happy

I use that most often for my State - WA - since that's at the end.

P.S. Profile entries that provide dropdown selections are a good example of how this works in general. Country selection has that and of course State.

Edited 01/08/22 12:46 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.