ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

I don't think one of my Classmates is really who they say they are ...

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/07/10 07:08 PM Views: 1922 Replies: 7
Monday, June 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I had a new classmate sign up. He gave absolutely no personal information. The only thing he included was an email address that sounded questionable. I asked him for more info before I approved him and he answered back some pretty generic info.

I had another one like this that I let slide, but I am a little mad that someone is playing games with us. Should I just approve this person or pump him for more info. I don't want people to have access to the site that I don't think belong, yet I also don't want to offend him if it is truly him. I know he married another classmate. Should I ask him his wife's name?

Thanks, Ann

Monday, June 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM - Response #1

I defitnetly would ask. If it truly is him, he will not be offended.

I have had ex wives hijack the site. It is always wise to use caution when in doubt.

Monday, June 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM - Response #2

Yes, do ask! You can always give him a reader's digest version of why you (and many other reunion sites) use verification and that you need "little more info" before you can verify his profile.

If he continues to be evasive, tell him he can enter his mailing/street address and phone number and it will still be hidden from view if he chooses. Then you can verify using 411.com. You can do a reverse lookup works just on phone number too, but it must be listed and not a cell number. Then you could even call him up Smile

Or you could be more subtle like asking him who he's in contact with from your reunion group who has already registered, and so on... Someone who can "vouch" for him?

Edited 06/07/10 11:39 PM
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM - Response #3

We had someone sign up and put info down - address, email, etc. The email clued me to check. I happened to know some of his kinfolk to question. The address he gave was 2 states away and I happened to know his never left hometown. So if you have someone in class who knows this person you can check that way. One of our administrators knows more than I do and found out there was a teenager hacking in. Why?? Just because he can.
Lara
GHS, MS

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM - Response #4

Here's info from my FAQ page. Hope it helps:

How do I get verified?

When you register and save your information, an email alert is sent to the site administrators. As soon as they can, they will send you an email with several questions for you to select from to validate that you were in fact a member of Norman High School. If you do not know the answers to any of them, do not fret, but simply send them back a message that you do not know the answer. They will have several more questions that they can send back as alternate questions. After you reply with the correct information, they will then verify your account and notify you via email of your activation into the system. If all else fails, someone will call you to verify your account.

Why do I need to be verified?

We want a website home where people feel more comfortable participating without fear of search engines accessing their information or 'trollers' pretending that they are a classmate when in fact they are not - which does happen on some of the other systems. Also, we will eventually be allowing people to sign up to attend and pay for a reunion over this website. So, although this may be somewhat time consuming or cause a bit of a delay at the beginning, our hope is you will see the value in it for us all.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM - Response #5

Thanks for the replies everyone. Susie, your FAQ section is excellent.

Ann

Edited 06/08/10 10:14 AM
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM - Response #6

I've got my first menber just last week where they didn't put any info at all, just their email addreess and password.
I emailed them back several times. No response what so ever.

So I was wondering do I have to delete their profile or undo what they entered so the real member can join?

Thanks..Scott

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM - Response #7

You can delete the member from the Manage Classmates page, then Enter/Edit Classmates. then click the DELETE button to delete the profile. You will need to re-add any information you already had in the system..

Another option is to just delete their e-mail address in their profile. This way, they cannot login.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.