ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Posting Reunion Photos

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/30/08 10:27 AM Views: 1416 Replies: 4
Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Brad: we all know you're working on a new way to allow for reunion photos to be posted, but in the mean time, I think there's an easier way. We have created 'dummy' classmates, named them '50th Reunion' with a first name of "Photo set 1" "Photo set 2" etc. We have them set up as "guests classmates" to keep them off our normal role. It's very easy to load the photos and captions this way. It's also very easy to organize them, since you can have as many 'guest' classmates as you want. Of course, it's easiest to have the classmates send the photos to the administrator and have them post the photos, but as administrators, we like to have control over the content of our sites.
The problem is that the system still wants information like email addresses and passwords for these 'guests'--seems like it would be a relatively simple change to allow a new category of classmate called 'Photo Sets' that shows up as a different category in the role from normal classmates and guests, and would require no information other than a first name and last name, ie, major category and minor category. For example: 50th reunion--tour of school; 50th reunion--dinner dance; 50th reunion--photos by Joe Smith; etc.
If this change is made, then visiting classmates would not have to wade thru the long list of teachers, friends, and other guests to find reunion photos. As a long-time Web Alumni person, I know for sure that posting the reunion photos is equally as important as organizing the reunion itself.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM - Response #1

Just a suggestion, but why don't you consider posting the reunion photos in a slideshow with music like I did on my site from our 2004 reunion?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM - Response #2

Thanks for the suggestion, and I must admit your slide show is really nice. However, as the main Alumni Administrator for my school (TROY-NY-1900), I have many people from many class years who are trying to get their sites up, and not all of them have the time or computer savy to create a slide show like that. I've found that it's EXTREMELY EASY to load photos and captions under a classmate's name. And with the sequence number, they can be rearranged or deleted very easily as well. The first class I worked with, 1957, we loaded their photos and captions in a custom link page. While it was very nice, it wasn't as easy as loading photos and captions in the classmate's section, especially since it was difficult to deal with the size of the photos, no control over the spacing of text, and difficult to locate the cursor when adding photos.

The other problem with using the custom page approach is that there are only a few custom pages available. My class, 1968, has extensive photos to post from the 10th, 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, and next month 40th reunion. If I put them all in one show, it would be extremely long, and would be difficult for classmates to view only those photos of interest to them.

Keep up your good work...I hope to add a slide show and some music to my site this winter after our reunion in October.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM - Response #3

Well, it's not quite as easy as you may imagine, and even if we did do this, I'd want to change it a little to make it more clear, etc. instead of being a bandaid approach. Having said that, good for you for being creative enough to come up with that! Good stuff. Nonetheless, we have to spend our time on things we're going to keep in the system, and although a ways away still, the new gallery layouts are proceeding and looking good.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM - Response #4

Jim.....I did that same thing about two weeks ago and at this point it is working well...

Brad's concern was that everyone had access to everyone else's photos. He was worried that some one could go in and delete your pictures if they didn't like it.
And he thought they would be all jumbled up with no rhyme or reason.

But it is working for us for the time being!

JIM

Edited 08/30/08 2:54 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.