ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Where We Live list

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/26/13 03:04 PM Views: 1463 Replies: 15
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I had a question presented to me that I can't answer. We have 181 classmates in our website database, but the Where We Live (WWL) list on the homepage only shows 173 classmates, 8 fewer than the database list. I compared the two lists (a tedious task) and can't seem to determine why there should be a difference in the two lists. All 8 missing from the WWL list have some sort of contact info including the State they live, email, password, etc. Some classmates that do not have email or a password are on the WWL list, however.

For example, Chris Knutzen-Goodpater (Washington State) is on the WWL list even though she does not have email or a password. Her husband, Jim Goodpaster, is not on the WWL even though he does have email and a password. Both have their address and phone number entered in the classmate database. Go figure.

Can you tell me what the criteria or conditions are that put a classmate on the WWL list. Or, am I just doing something wrong.

Thanks
Dan

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM - Response #1

Dan,

There are really TWO address fields in the database. The one is ADMIN-ENTERED address fields. The other is CLASSMATE-ENTERED address fields. When a classmate joins the website, they aren't shown anything for address fields and they must enter that information. If it is left blank, it is assumed that they don't want to let anyone know where they live. The ADMIN-ENTERED address fields show up on your Manage Classmates Enter/Edit DETAILS page for the classmate if the CLASSMATE-ENTERED address fields are left blank. If the classmate entered an address, that address will show up on the Manage Classmates Enter/Edit DETAILS page for the classmate.

The reason for the two fields is because some admins pay a detective or address broker to find their classmates. Since admins always want to have the current address showing, we show the CLASSMATE-ENTERED address if there is one. If the classmate saw the ADMIN-ENTERED address and decided to delete it from the system, the admin would be mad because he paid money for that address. For this reason, the classmate doesn't see the Admin-Entered address and cannot change it.

The example you gave is the HUSBAND left his Classmate-Entered address blank, meaning he doesn't want to let others know where he lives. The WIFE hasn't joined yet, so the WWL list is using the only known information available, which is the Admin-Entered address to fill out the WWL list.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #2

Kyle Erickson wrote:

some admins pay a detective or address broker to find their classmates.

That is interesting. Don't recall this ever being mentioned before in the forums. Great idea though but would these services also take on a case involving a deceased classmate in order to receive related information, such as the year they passed? (I ask to be able to put a year on the classmates information instead of having to use "unknown" for the person on our Deceased Classmates" page.)

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM - Response #3

I don't know the answer, but I am sure that a detective has more resources available for researching then the regular admin. They might have prison records, drivers license records, etc. They might have death records available, but that is just a guess. It also might be expensive.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM - Response #4

O.K. Thanks. It sounded like an explorable option but since there is a lack of procedural information to be obtained through this forum, I'll pass on it and continue using their avenues. I really appreciate the clarification.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM - Response #5

I really don't know of any admins who have paid for any addresses or other contact information. What I stated above is what I was told is the reason for the two separate fields for the address and phone number.

ADMINS: if you paid someone to research your class list, maybe you can respond below about what kind or service you used.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM - Response #6

I don't pay her, just take her to lunch once in a while. My sister has done an amazing job in helping our class find classmates. She first did it for her class of 1961 and is now helping our class of 1963. She has been a member of ancestry.com for many years in her quest to find family history for our family as well as extended family and some friends. The skills she developed have been invaluable in tracking down classmates. I don't know just what all sites she uses but does use birth records, SS death index, marriage records, etc. We mailed letters to all the addresses we could find and then followed up with phone calls. Sometimes those letters or phone calls went to parents (in their 90's), siblings, or children. Even ex-spouses. It is not unusual to hear someone say, "How did you find me?" Because we are also inviting classmates who were juniors or seniors with us (we are a military town so a lot of turnover) some of these students were more difficult to find because we got their names out of the yearbook rather than from a commencement list and they didn't have a full name listed. We would never be able to afford paying her for the amazing work she has done. But she loves doing it. Because she and her husband graduated in the same class together and through sports and pep squad know a lot of my classmates, they will be special guests at our reunion at no charge. Everyone should be so lucky to have a sister like mine.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM - Response #7

Thanks, Kyle. I think that answers the question.
I would have thought that a classmates State would at least be public so they would show up on the WWL list, but I guess privacy is tighter than I thought. Oh well.
Dan

Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM - Response #8

I've read all the reasons why a member will not appear on "Where we Live".
But still can't seem to figure out why this classmate is not listed.
Can I fix this?

Harry Newell
http://www.classcreator.com/Sharon-Hill-Pennsylvania-1974/class_profile.cfm?member_id=6167092

Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM - Response #9

Lisa,

There are really two addresses in the system: 1. the ADMIN ENTERED ADDRESS. 2. the USER ENTERED ADDRESS.

If the user doesn't enter an address, the admin entered address shows up to you on the Manage Classmates page for you to view.
If the user DOES enter an address, the user-entered address will show up to you.
If the user then deletes their address that they entered, it doesn't delete the admin-entered address, only the user-entered address, so then the admin-entered address would show up again.

The "Where we Live" feature only uses the USER ENTERED ADDRESSES. Harry didn't enter any address, so he doesn't want others to know where he lives, so it won't show up on the "Where we Live" feature.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM - Response #10

Kyle,
Thank you for the clarification.
lisa

Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM - Response #11

Kyle, I'm confused. I have multiple non-joined/misssing members with admin entered addresses, and they do show up in the Where We Live list.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM - Response #12

Non-joined classmates don't have a choice. Joined classmates can choose if the want others to know that information.

Monday, November 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM - Response #13

John,
Yes, that's what was confusing to me. My Alaska classmate was in the list, then disappeared.
Now I understand, but I wonder if the classmate understands?
lisa

Monday, November 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM - Response #14

Lisa,
For members who haven't joined yet, I've put in at least city/state information when I could find it - and all those show up in the Where We Live list.

When a member joins, I remind them that the street address, phone number, etc, can't be viewed by anyone other than the admin. Some are still uneasy about putting in a full address - even if it's usually available from a peoplefinder web search. But unless they're in the witness protection program, I encourage them to at least enter a state so we can see how our class is scattered all over the map.

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM - Response #15

Dan:

Thanks for your information above. However, I note that one of my class members, who resides in Saskatchewan, is not listed in the general WWL box on the home page. But, when I check the link at the bottom of the box to list people on a map, she is specifically listed by name as residing in Saskatchewan. What's up with that? Saskatchewan has one less letter than Massachusetts, which is listed in our box, so it can't be about Saskatchewan having too many letters to list in the box.

Thanks much,

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.