ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

"In the Chat Room now" Box?

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/16/09 10:59 PM Views: 2015 Replies: 10
Monday, March 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Hi guys,

My site's running great, my reunion just eclipsed 1,000 people. Someone yesterday was just so happy to have this new interactive place to catch up with his old friends that he told me "you are a god sir"...
Brad, you and your folks sure make me look good!

One of my members had a suggestion today.

He was wondering if below the "active classmates" box and the "who's online now" box if we could have an "in the chat room now" box to show who's in the chat room. Currently, nobody uses it, because there's no overt incentive to get in there and chat. I think he's on to something that would make the site a lot more fun for the members.

I know you're up to your necks in upgrading and adding modules. Maybe you could file this one away for a rainy day.

Thanks

Don

Monday, March 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM - Response #1

If you are using an "Add On" chat program, there is no way that Class Creator can know who is inside of the chat room.

An Integrated Chat Room is on the planning board. I think later this year. It should include a "Who Is In The Chat Room" feature, if I understand it right.

Monday, March 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM - Response #2

That rainy day is coming sometime this summer. There are a lot of existing chat and instant messaging solutions out there. Rather than reinventing the wheel, we're going to purchase the code for one of these and then customize it to work within the Class Creator system. In fact I've already determined the one we're going to integrate, just a matter of getting to that task, stay tuned.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 5:27 AM - Response #3

Oh boy! That's a great idea! For my next project, I was going to look into putting a chat feature our site too. It's good to know this is in the works in the future. You never cease to amaze me. My classmates all think I am a genious..hehehe.. little do they know... Laughing

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM - Response #4

Any chance we could know which chat room format you're going to purchase the code for and integrate?

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM - Response #5

Sure, that's a very good question. We will be integrating this:

http://www.123flashchat.com/flash-chat-server-pro.html

Unless somebody has a better recommendation that is. Because we haven't yet actually purchased this, we're still open to anything.

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM - Response #6

Brad,

Just curious. Are you any closer to adding a chat room?

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM - Response #7

Current focus is on threaded email and direct deposit banking for the reunion planner. Live chat and instant messaging is something coming to the top of the list relatively soon though. Have you heard of cloud computing? We're looking into setting up the system there so it's scalable. Maybe we can become the only class web site system to ofer "chatting in the cloud."

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM - Response #8

Then maybe we can speak to our classmates on the In Memory page.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM - Response #9

Hi, Brad:

Thanks again for the great work you guys are doing for all of us.

You might take at look at Chatzy.com. I used that Chat room, and it is very easy to use, and looks great. Don't know if you can 'buy' their code for Class Creator, but who knows.

George Satterlee

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 12:13 PM - Response #10

Thanks. Just checked it out. Nice. I'll have Dave look at it too, he's the one working on the live chat system here.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.