ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Copy and Paste into In Memory Comments

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/29/15 07:11 PM Views: 1277 Replies: 11
Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Why can't I copy a block of text from an external source into the Comments section of an In Memory page for a deceased classmate?

When I try to do this I get the following message:

"Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.

Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK"

When I do that and hit OK nothing appears in the Comments window.

Does anyone know how to make this work or what browser settings to change so that it will work?

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 8:36 PM - Response #1

Assuming you copied the text (CTRL+C or popup "copy" selection), then press the CTRL key and then the V key at the same time.

That works. Puts the text into the box and in the editor after OK is pressed.

You can also directly put your cursor where you want to copy and press CTRL+V and avoid that popup msg Idea

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM - Response #2

As Jack says, that should work. However, many obituary websites have code on their pages that when copied, will transfer in the background to the page on your site. Many, have code that either interferes with the site or will make it so that the pasted text will not display. My suggestion is to copy the text from the site, paste it into a Notepad document, copy it from Notepad and then paste it into your page. Notepad will remove any formatting and hidden code. This should result in you being able to see the intended copy on the page.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:38 PM - Response #3

Agree with both above.
I have had excellent results with copying and pasting using MS Word, and SAVING the document as a TEXT file, THEN copying and using the Ctl-V combination.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM - Response #4

Thanks. Unfortunately it pastes it into the popup box but when I press "OK" it does not appear in the Comments section.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM - Response #5

Thanks. I tried yesterday with MS Word but will try with other apps such as Notepad. I am actually copying from an email that a classmate sent although I imagine she copied it from Legacy or some such website.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:35 PM - Response #6

By the way, I am operating under Windows 10 if that matters.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:40 PM - Response #7

I just noticed that. Yes it does matter since I think you are also using the new browser. Edge copy/paste issues/bugs. There are a few more and this is one of them.

Until MS fixes this try it with FF or Chrome instead for now (works on 10 too).

P.S. Could be browser detection too in the editor or a more general Win10 issue. I've delayed Win10 till these sort of things get ironed out Twisted Evil

Edited 09/30/15 5:45 PM
Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM - Response #8

I copied it into MS Word. I then saved that as a text file, copied the text from the .txt doc and used Ctrl-V to paste it into the In Memory Comments box instead of right click paste. That worked! Thanks for everyone's help.

Friday, November 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM - Response #9

I noticed that you have to change the person to deceased, save it and then you can add the obituary. I was trying to do it all in one swoop and it wouldn't work.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM - Response #10

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

As Jack says, that should work. However, many obituary websites have code on their pages that when copied, will transfer in the background to the page on your site. Many, have code that either interferes with the site or will make it so that the pasted text will not display. My suggestion is to copy the text from the site, paste it into a Notepad document, copy it from Notepad and then paste it into your page. Notepad will remove any formatting and hidden code. This should result in you being able to see the intended copy on the page.

Thank you, Scott!!! Have just experienced this problem for the first time with a funeral home. After futzing around with Firefox for over an hour thinking that was the problem, I turned to this wonderful forum.

I copied into Notepad and then copied that text into the In Memory page. Problem solved immediately.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM - Response #11

For plain text copying to Notepad is the recommended solution. But if there are graphics, Notepad will discard that too.

However, this also presents a good way learning how to "edit" in editor source mode and remove/change offending html code. Usually it would be font, size, background, etc.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.