ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Renewing Domain Name

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/26/10 10:01 PM Views: 1674 Replies: 11
Monday, July 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Hi!
I recieved a letter from Domain Registery of America requesting that I renew my website domain name by a certain day and gave me the list of how many years I can have it and for how much. My domain name was chosen and purchased through ClassNames.net. Is Domain Registry of America a legit request for renewal money?

Thank you,
Cyndi

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM - Response #1

No it is not. Domain Registry of America is a Registrar that tries to bait people into switching their domain name over to their service at a much higher cost with a longer commitment. They disguise the solicitation as something that appears to be a bill. If you read the fine print you'll see it states this is not a bill. They're one of the most annoying companies on the Internet so I'm glad you asked. Simply drop it in the trash. I really wish Congress or somebody would do something about this. I can't believe solicitations like this are legal and companies like this are getting away with it.

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM - Response #2

Thanks Cyndi and Bradster for bring this us as I too received the same notice. It sure looks legit!

Appreciate your bring this up and the 'on target' answer!

This Forum is awesome! Thanks! N

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM - Response #3

Brad, would it be possible to alert all new websites to this scam and perhaps a periodic reminder?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 1:23 AM - Response #4

We already do. One of the initial timed emails addresses this, and we also send another timed email 7 months after domain registration, as that's right around the time these things start showing up in people's mailboxes. I did actually just read a recent solicitation from Domain Registry of America and I see they've toned down what I consider their scammy tactics quite a bit. Nonetheless in my opinion the latest version of their solicitations are also designed to fool people. Many people aren't going to read extensive fine print, they just pay things that look like a bill. We get people literally every week who fall for these things despite the warnings we send out.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 2:12 AM - Response #5

Well, here's a Welsh-Irish hex on 'em for their smarmy tactics!Twisted Evil

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM - Response #6

Thank you, Brad for your quick response! It seems like others have had this scam pushed on them, too. I also want to say that your technical and admin support is amazing! You are right there to hold our hands and tell us it's all gonna be alright. I wish my cable company's support would be that good!!

Thanks again!
Cyndi

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM - Response #7

Wow, I received the same request and was about to send it in. I know my site will need to be renewed in November, 2010. Who will the bill come from? Can I call, send them a letter know to renew. Thanks again.
Connie Hope
www.metuchen65.com

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 12:05 PM - Response #8

Your domain name is registered with ClassNames.net -- the domain registry owned by Class Creator.

Visit the classnames.net website and you can renew there.

Friday, October 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM - Response #9

I renewed my domain this morning.

It's probably 'me', but I didn't see it give me 'dates' for my renewal for my records. I'm not even sure when it was due, just knew it was around this time. My renewal printout does not give an expiration date, in the future. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Friday, October 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM - Response #10

Sandi - your new exp date is 10/20/2015. I saw that you renewed for 2 years. So that means you were only 3 years early to the plate. Smile There is something to say about pre-planning. Smile

Friday, October 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM - Response #11

I saw that too (after the fact); plus found my original email showing a "5".
Way too funny! LOL
At least I was in the right month!
Thanks!!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.