ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Donations and Paypal

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/02/13 02:52 PM Views: 862 Replies: 4
Monday, December 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before, we really don't want to support PayPal on our website, put it seems to be required when you activate donations on the home page. Any alternatives? I went as far as creating a PayPal account, but my co-admin is against it and it seems like it costs us money, too.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM - Response #1

The alternative is to use the Reunion Planner to accept donations via our Credit Card processing. Simply set up an event that is a New Reunion Planner and create a ticket that is a Donation. That will enable the member to donate in any denomination. They can use their credit card to complete the transaction. Transaction fees will still apply.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM - Response #2
PayPal Default Info.png

I activated Paypal on my website, BUT, I also made a document to explain how and whys of donating to support the website. I used words generally as below.

Donations can be made through PayPal, or with a regular credit card if you do not have a PayPal account. If you prefer to send check, instead of credit card, mail payable to: Derrell Pulis...... followed by my address.
Again, Donations are voluntary only, as I will NOT charge you a fee for using our Website. That was never the purpose. However, if you would like to assist by offsetting Derrell's costs, then donations are greatly appreciated.

I also slightly revised the PayPal link of default 'words' to suggest click HERE for information about donating (as worded above).

Result: MANY donated by PayPal, but also I had just as many send checks as indicated in the instructions. I received so many donations, I bought 10 year Premium on BOTH my sites. Now, I just have small expenses, and periodically, classmates will contact me asking if I need more funds in the till. Smile

I have also attached a image file of how I changed my default words on the PayPal screen, urging classmates to Click HERE for additional information.

Edited 12/05/13 2:40 PM
Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM - Response #3

Our biggest considerations between using CC or PayPal for payments were the flexibility of PayPal's buttons and the fact that PayPal gives us a better rate on transaction fees because we're a 501(c)(3) non-profit. But I still don't like PayPal in general, on principle, and would rather be using CC if it could do the same thing at the same price for us.

Edited 12/05/13 7:12 PM
Monday, December 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM - Response #4

I found PayPal useful for donations; whereas, for registration fees I mostly used the Reunion planner. However for some reason the majority of my class sent personal checks.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.