ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Black Background & Font Size

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/28/13 09:48 AM Views: 1898 Replies: 33
Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Will the "black" be gone from the background and page changes as things are tweaked, or do I need to re-set the color and background?

Also the font on the right side of our home page has been reduced a couple of points. Will that be re-set to the original size?

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM - Response #1

I'm not sure if this is specific to one or more of the designs, but I see the problem here and it has been reported by several others. Hitting some key things at the moment but this should be addressed later this afternoon. I.E. you don't need to do anything. The blue background color you have already set will come back when this gets ironed out. Thanks for reporting Mary.

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM - Response #2

Hi Brad & CC! Upgrades look great! Only problem I am having is accessing both my sites and TAP using IE8 browser. Pages are set to "left" but they are all to the RIGHT and I cannot see the full page. Even when I make the window full size and there is not scroll bar at the bottom to slide the viewable page over. Looked at things using google chrome and everything was fine. But I use IE8 for everything (have to for business purposes), so would appreciate a fix for that.
Thanks for all the long hours and effort! Wonderful!!!
Marla

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM - Response #3

I had the same problem when viewing in IE9. Pages looked fine in Firefox and safari.

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM - Response #4

In IE8/9, turn off Compatibility Mode.

Hit F12 on the keyboard, and select the menu titled Browser Mode. Select Internet Explorer 9 from the menu (or 8 if that's what you have).

Also, set the Document Mode to IE9 (or 8 if that's what you have) Standards -- not Quirks.

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM - Response #5

Marla let me know if Eric's post above works for you.

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM - Response #6

Thanks Eric! That did it! Guess I will copy these instructions and post on my home page for members that may have had the same settings as I did.
THANKS for all the long hours yesterday/last night/early this morning and still ongoing now with 'the little things'! You all at CC are the greatest!

Monday, January 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM - Response #7

YES! Thanks Brad! Worked perfectly! You all are Great! Hope you can find time for some rest soon! Smile

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM - Response #8

Eric,
In preparation for TAP Live Chat Wednesday night, using IE8 as I do, I have now discovered... ONLY in LIVE CHAT screen the window is maximum size and the option to re-size the window is not available. (Of course using Chrome it is available and I can most likely use Chrome until resizing is again available in IE8.) So to resolve and gain the option to rezize the window in IE8, might there be some easy fix as you gave me above? I googled for an answer but only saw the problem for all windows in IE8 not just one window and since I am no techy I shy away. I looked at the options when hitting F12, but not sure what all those things will do. The reason I resize the screen when in Live Chat is to take screenshots for the Live Chat Log. Resizing the screen gives me the ability to take page-size screenshots with wrapping text which is easier to read as opposed to screen wide pages, that would have to be reduced in overall size to make page-size log, which would reduce all the text, thereby making the log difficult to read. Thanks for all your wisdom! No hurry on this request. I know you all are busy and need a break, so save this one for a slow day. Smile THANKS AGAIN!!!

Edited 01/29/13 10:27 AM
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM - Response #9

In Windows, all you need to do to resize a window is grab any of the four edges or any of the four corners of the window and drag it.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 1:34 AM - Response #10

Oh my, Eric is tired. Window Resizing 101. I'm pretty sure Marla has mastered that. Wink

Edited 01/30/13 1:34 AM
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM - Response #11

Sorry, did I miss something?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM - Response #12

We have experienced this problem since Monday.

In IE, open LIVE CHAT.

The LIVE CHAT window's ability to 'restore down' or 'maximize' button is grayed out. It does not work. My window opens smaller. The arrows to pull it do not appear when I try to do so. I know of three who have tried it and have the same results.

I believe this is what Marla was talking about. Windows Resizing 101 was in jest. We are sure you know that we know how to re-size a window. Wink

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM - Response #13

It works fine in Firefox and Chrome. Smile

Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM - Response #14

As Gwen explained above, my Live Chat window is not full and I cannot expand it to full screen. I can see the chats, but I cannot see the dialog box, so I cannot participate in the chat. Is there some fix for this, either on your end or mine?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Response #15

Jim, it appears you are using Internet explorer 8 on Windows 7. We recommend updating your browser to the latest version Win7 will support (either IE9 or IE10).

Friday, February 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM - Response #16

Hi Jim, a word of caution about updating to one of the new IE browsers, I have not heard good response from the few I know that did. One big loss is all your favorites, read up online how to save those or transfer them into any such update of IE.
I have good news, although only a means to an end, not a fix, it does get the result! I wanted to share with you Jim, as I was the one that posted above about the fact that LIVE CHAT will not allow or give options like it has always done in the past to RE-SIZE the screen, which is a necessity for me when taking the screenshots for the Live Chat LOG. I thought I was going to have to use Google Chrome to be able to resize the window, but found this instead. AND ALTHOUGH I STILL CANNOT RESIZE THE LIVE CHAT WINDOW... I FOUND (by sheer accident) A SOLUTION TO GET THE SIZE I WANT. Do this and see what you get. Go to TAP's website, and "before" you click on the Live Chat tab, put the current window you are in to the size you want. Then when Live Chat opens it will be the same size. Try it and let me know if it works for you as it did for me. I was really pleased about it the other night and mentioned it when I first entered Live Chat. So it's in the log I will be sending out, hopefully tonight. I've been swamped with work, but now that it is Friday night, can take a breather and get the log out to everyone that attended. Had a really good chat Wednesday night in TAP, so I am sure some are anxious to get the log.
Marla Bryan Smile

Edited 02/01/13 6:51 PM
Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM - Response #17

Marla,

Thank you so much for the directions.

I clicked on the “Restore Down” button in the upper right corner, then resized the resulting screen to full screen, so now I get the full Live Chat screen. Even better, it is permanent, both on my TAP and school sites, so I won’t have to go through the process each time, nor upgrade to IE9 just yet.

Jim

Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM - Response #18

I would definitely upgrade to IE9 from IE8. It's much much faster for one. Like a sports car vs a truck.

I don't recall any issues with book marks in upgrading lately. However, there are tools to import/export bookmarks on most of the browsers. I have my FF bookmarks in IE. So export you IE8 bookmarks first if you are concerned. I do that on FF once in a while as a backup system and also gives me a way to transfer them to another computer. That's mainly how I've used this feature.

Go to File and Import and Export. Haven't done that for a long time in IE, so anyone that has done this chime in. Very fast as I recall.

I'm surprised that your Win 7 didn't already have IE9?

Edited 02/02/13 2:47 PM
Monday, February 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM - Response #19

Thanks Jack!
I exported my favorites in IE8, so hopefully soon I will find the time to upgrade to IE9 or IE10. Exporting them was as easy as you stated (go to file and export). It's busy tax season for me now, so I will have to wait until time is available. Thanks for the info, saved me time in looking it up!
Marla Bryan
www.whhs81.com & www.whjets1982.com

Monday, February 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM - Response #20

The background issue originally reported in this Message Thread has been fixed.

so to sum up, IF you've uploaded a background photo, that will always display. otherwise, your background color will be your primary color, unless you're on template 3, when it will be white, or a themed template, when it will be black.

To change your background color or image go to CHANGE DESIGN and scroll down to that section.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM - Response #21

So I've read this thread again. I have a question for CC. Is it mandatory that we upgrade IE8 to 9 or 10 in order to be able to resize the Live Chat window? Currently in IE8, the arrows do not appear to allow me to resize the window.

The other question was in the first post of this thread by Mary: "Also the font on the right" (I believe she means LEFT) "side of our home page has been reduced a couple of points. Will that be re-set to the original size?"

The size is still small in not only the left menu but those that run across the top. Looking at TAP's menu to the size of the site name... wow, what a difference. By no means do I want "TAP-The Administrator's Place" to be smaller. I've tried other designs and the name is too small.

Okay... enough of my explanation.

Edited 02/07/13 1:39 AM
Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM - Response #22

About the font size of the menu items. Definitely would like for the size to be increased. I would like to add to possible wish list the ability to select the font style and color we want. Any chance that can be on the wish list? Smile
Thanks, Marla!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 2:02 AM - Response #23

I think the reason the fonts look smaller is because they are serif and because of the dark background. A dark background like that makes it difficult to read.

One has to be very careful and consider other monitor settings. Making a different background option would be on the same list of 'things to do'.

Too lazy to check the CSS, but going by looks, menu fonts are the same size as mine. If CC ever has an advanced area to show people how to change things, I'd post some codeWink

Changing the color, etc is on the burner somewhere.
-----------------------------------
The Live Chat is a mistake by CC. In IE10 in ALL modes (IE8 or IE9) Live Chat does exactly the same thing - no resize active. Plus the window created is incorrect and varies according to resolution. Eric/CC is aware of this now.

Assuming that it all used to work in IE8 (that's what I'm hearing), it will once more work once they find out what was changed.

Edited 02/07/13 2:14 AM
Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM - Response #24

Thank you Jack for the confirmation that the Live Chat Window does not have ability to resize across all three... 8,9,10 IE browsers. Good to know!
-----------
And thank you for the CSS code for the backgrounds. I played with it a little on a blank page on my site and successfully pasted the ground hog on a blank page. My question about it for the home page like last weekend when backgrounds were black... is/was when you place the CSS code in the google analytics box, if you already have google analytics code (as I do on one site) do you place the CSS code before or after the google code, or do you need to remove the google code first and then place the background CSS code only? Sorry to be so dumb that I do not know and have to ask. The unfortunate issue with my graduating class year ('81) is that although I have been the main admin since day one, I do not have root admin position, therefore do not have the preferences tab available where the google analytics box is located.

Thanks again for sharing CSS code and your wealth of knowledge!

Edited 02/07/13 8:02 AM
Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM - Response #25

The CSS code can be placed either before or after the Google Analytics code. It doesn't matter.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM - Response #26

Thanks Kyle! Good to know!
Marla

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM - Response #27

Marla, I'm not 'root' either. CSS files are one way to solve this, but it would be nice to have CC make that an option to give other admins access. I prefer not to email code and have it done incorrectlyRolling Eyes

You can also have other scripts in Google AnalyticsIdea

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM - Response #28

The resize button on the Live Chat window is now working on my IE8. Thanks for fixing this.

Jim

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM - Response #29

Yes! Thank you so much CC Staff! Awesome!
Very Happy Marla

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM - Response #30

I second Marla's "Yes!" Thanks, CC! We so appreciate it!

Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM - Response #31

I noticed the menu fonts in my old template are .85 em. They are .83 em in the newer template. Smaller

Monday, February 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM - Response #32

Larry - which 2 templates, specifically, are you referring to?

Monday, February 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM - Response #33

Sorry Scott,
I was trying to figure out how to make the left menu (white font on black background)in my new Advanced 2 template site the same font size as it is in my old Professional 5 site. The difference is small but enough I thought it better. - I didn't succeed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.