ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Alumni site helps get HS ring to owner!

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/07/13 01:54 PM Views: 1043 Replies: 10
Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Fellow Admins,
I cannot begin to express how thrilled I was to receive a Contact Us on October 29th that read: "Hello,When i was in vietnam I found a 1966 Mchenry class ring and would like to return to owner.There are no initals on the inside of ring.there are the letters M and P on the side of the ring one on each side below the year."
Wow, that still bring the tears.

The search began immediately, however the class list was incorrect. Yet we had a name soon and set out to locate him. Per the finders' request, I am to be sure the owner was in one of two arms of the Armed Forces, during particular dates and in the same location in Vietnam! Can you believe this?

The finder said the ring looks very close to be new. New... a 1966 ring found in Vietnam looks new! To see a photo, go to www.mchenryalumni.com. I have it on the home page as an announcement open to everyone. But wait, there is more!

This morning another Contact Us came in. The subject line: My ring!!! I read, "I can't believe it! I lost this in 1969 or 1970-71. I still think of this from time to time. I'm very shocked that it was found and I would really like to find the person that found it. If you can get me this information, I would really appreciate it! Thank you everyone, Sincerely Mike"

Though I am waiting to hear from Mike, I'm pretty sure he will reply Air Force or Army and the location will be the same. I tell you, I can wait... no, I can't wait! I'm so excited that our site was the link in this, I can't stand it! I'd love to be there when Mike gets his ring... wow!

So to all of you, our sites are more than a place to keep the contact info up-to-date. They are where reunions can happen between people and memories!

I am so thankful to have found Class Creator in 2010 for my single year aite. Without CC, I would not have built the alumni site.

Time to do a HAPPY DANCE! Very Happy

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM - Response #1

Gwen,

I had a similar experience earlier this year... Here is my forum post:
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....4ED-AE2B49E7C32212DF

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM - Response #2

We had a very similar story with a very different ending. When we contacted our classmate of the lost ring, he refused to complete the connection because he believed it was an ex-girlfriend stalking him, not a real find. Will never know! We don't give out contact information but just forward the request message to them to have the option of responding.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM - Response #3

LIKE!!! These are both great stories! Haven't seen my class ring since my senior year, but . . . you just never know!

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM - Response #4

Great Job Gwen

I have been able to reunite two people with lost class rings in the last 3 years. One lost in New Mexico on my Carolina Military Academy and one in Myrtle Beach on my MBHS Reunions Site.

It really does make you feel good to reunite someone with their property. These websites really do more that hold info and plan reunions....they connect people with their past.

Are you still in Mt Pleasant ??? I kept seeing you moving around.

Again Good Work

Randy

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM - Response #5

Yes, Kyle. I thought to note your post when I wrote the one above. I failed. My apologies! I'm happy you included a link to the thread. Smile

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM - Response #6

Gwen,
Most definitely a 2-boxer (Kleenex) tear jerker. Hope someone on site snaps a photo. My husband graduated in 1966. So many classmates have passed away, and they are only 65, which as we all know, is YOUNG! Really excited to hear the 'homecoming.'

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM - Response #7

Thanks, Kathi! Another alum retired from CBS in Chicago. She has sent the story basics onto her contacts and the Chicago Tribune. It is a story... and there is more to be revealed but I have to wait for the "Mike" we believe it belongs to to answer two more questions. The finder of the ring requested I confirm the owner was in the same place... just wait for 'the rest of the story'!

Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM - Response #8

LOVE stories like this one and can't wait to hear the ending! Thanks for sharing with us.

Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM - Response #9

This morning, I found a post on a hometown FB group page by the person I am sure is the owner of the ring. It began, "Dear Gwen". As I read, he was taking ownership without answering my last two questions. It was difficult holding back until I had the final two questions answered. That was followed by a rather long phone call with the alum who once worked at CBS Chicago, after which I headed to the grocery store.

Somewhere between the deli and bananas in Publix, my phone rang. The town was one nearby my hometown. "Hello", I said. "Gwen, this is Mike Pl...." Just writing this brings back the tears and goosebumps because I knew where he was by the IP Address in his recent Contact Us message. He confirmed that by saying, "I'm calling from Berlin."

The usual 'can you believe this' dialogue followed until I asked if he served in the Armed Forces and which branch - "Yes, the Air Force." GREAT! Next, where were you stationed? California... Colorado... and I'm not sure what he shared because I was waiting for "Vietnam." YES! We have the owner of the ring, ladies and gentlemen! I'll hold the actual base and where on the base for a later time. Wouldn't it be something if you were to read it in the Chicago Tribune online?

My day was made - right there and then. I had to be the funniest looking female in the grocery aisles... I could NOT and did not want to remove the huge grin from my face.

Have I mentioned that I'm over the moon, too excited and just so happy to have the vehicle ... THE ALUMNI SITE... that the finder of the ring used to make this happen. He found that ring 43 years ago and held onto it in hopes of finding the owner!

I'm still waiting for a reply from the finder... so my excitement is not going anywhere right now. Smile

Thanks to all who have been interested and waiting with me. It is great not to be alone! Smile

Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM - Response #10

Dear Gwen,
Great. This is a 3-boxer. How wonderful! Yes, your dad is one smart gent with a brilliant daughter! Keep me updated on the reunion.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.