ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading music

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/23/09 07:56 PM Views: 1829 Replies: 6
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM

A couple of members of our class wanted to create a forum to discuss the school Choir. So we activated the user forum and called it Choir memories. They would also like to upload some of their choir music on this forum for everyone to listen to. The msic has already been converted to an mp3 format.

I was trying to research this topic (how to add music to your site) a few days ago but I didn't follow I was supposed to do.

It said to go to FAQ Q#18 in building your site and this is what appears:

The general procedure for embedding third party objects is as follows:

At the third party web site generate the code for your object, then select and copy the code.

Return to your Class Creator web site and enter edit mode for the page on which you wish to embed the object.

Click your mouse on the exact location on your page where you wish for the embedded object to appear.

Click the "Source" button to toggle over to source code view (the Source button is located at the upper left corner of your editor).

Paste the code that you previously copied in Step #1.

Click the "Source" button again to toggle back to design view. Note: You will not see the third party embedded object in the Class Creator editor.

Save you page.

Preview your page live. You will now see the embedded object on your page. If you do not, try pressing "reload" or "refresh" on your browser.

My first problem is I don't know how to get into the edit mode. The only edit I am familiar with ClassCreator is under ADMIN FUNCTIONS - Edit Site Pages, but this isn't an html editor.

Help!!!!!!!!

Edited 06/23/09 7:57 PM
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 10:38 PM - Response #1

We're not really supporting the old forums anymore. You're far better off activating the new "User Forums" if you want Classmates to be able to share music. Just click Edit Site Pages, activate your "User Forums" page, and be sure to go into your Forum Prefernces page so you can name your forums whatever you want. The new forums have a true html editor, Classmates can embed music via numerous third party plugins, and Classmates can even attach mp3s directly to forum posts. This will be far, far easier for you.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM - Response #2

Is the html editor you are talking about what appears when if you reply to a thread?

If so, I found that there is an 800kb limit to attached files, correct.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM - Response #3

Oops sorry, I should have read the top of your original post more carefully. I went to your site and Choir Memories didn't jump out at me as being the User Forums, which of course they are... So you're already doing that, and yes, there is an 800K attachment limit. Which of course is a good point, as I'm sure most of your choir recordings exceed 800k. Thus I have yet to give you a viable answer here...

Obviously we need to keep file space in check, thus the 800k limit, so your best bet here is a hosted solution that embeds into your forums, such as:

1) YouTube: Many people upload audio to YouTube with just a slide still that shows for the duration of the recording. This is a pretty easy to way to do it that many people are already familiar with.

2) I'm a big fan of the Reverb Nation player, which is also free. Click here for details. With the Reverb Nation player you can simply upload your own files to the system, grab the embed code, and paste it into your web site while you're in Source view. Exact same process as pasting a Youtube video or any other third party element. That's why I like this player so much. It's a nice player, and very easy to add to your site. There's a variety of ways to play your own music on your site, but nothing I've found beats Reverb Nation. Tip: In the setup process when Reverb Nation asks for the name of the band, just enter your Choir name.

Edited 06/24/09 12:33 AM
Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM - Response #4

Has anyone done this on their class creator page? Do you need to set up the account on Reverbnation as an artist to be able to upload a file?

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM - Response #5

Yes sign up, and then try embedding their "Music Player" widget. Just enter you as the artist.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM - Response #6

It was easy after I changed the .cda file to an mp3 using FreeRip. On ReverbNation I had to log on as an artist and had to come up with a variation of the name of the band since it's name was already taken. I had to upload a picture to be able to use the mini player widget I chose. Bottom line is it's working and wasn't much trouble to do.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.