ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Lining Up Background Image

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/20/14 12:47 PM Views: 2256 Replies: 8
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Is there a way to get the background image lined up flush with the right edge of the screen? If you look at our site, you can see the bluejay doesn't line up and I have tried various sizes. I change the image quite often and, by trial and error, I manage to get it right, but this one has me stumped. Also, what type of image works best for using the center alignment?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM - Response #1

I'd like to answer your question, LeAnn but think there are others who will give you/us more info. Smile

Your post reminded me of a request I wish to make. Since we have the option of centering our site, which I prefer, I would like the option of a left and right background. I will leave this here and go straight to the suggestion thread to request it.

Will be watching for answers to your question.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM - Response #2

The size of the image required is determined by how much of the background image is "behind" your page so it comes out even on the right edge.

CC pages are 1000 wide. So any multiple that comes out at exactly 1000 works. For example, making the bird 250 pixels wide makes for 4 'hidden' images and then out pops the one you see. You could also make it 500 and end up with a larger bird that doesn't tile as much.

IOW make it 250 or 500. Could be 125 too if you wanted a bunch of tiny birds. Identical Border edges make it a tad easier (IMO) to play around.

LeAnn Kugath wrote:

Is there a way to get the background image lined up flush with the right edge of the screen?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM - Response #3

Gwen,
I often wonder about background images in general. How effective are they really. Certainly they can be as long as someone is using a widescreen. But if they are using a 4x3 instead of a 16x9 ratio screen, the background would be lost, wouldn't it? So are you asking about a different background for each side of a centered page? I'm just asking the question as I don't object to your idea. I'm intrigued.
Tim

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM - Response #4

Thanks so much, Jack! That will save me a lot of time in the future.Very Happy

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM - Response #5

I assume you mean if the page is centered vs left align.

That's more of a subjective area. Whatever looks "good". Smaller tiled is easier to 'balance' but anything can work. I've seen some that comprise the background of the school's area flowing from left to right. There were objects shown that were of interest to classmates, like a fountain, steps and things like that.

LeAnn Kugath wrote:

Also, what type of image works best for using the center alignment?

Edited 11/20/14 2:36 PM
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM - Response #6

True, backgrounds are more a filler for wide screens and don't show up at all on portable devices or FBCC Exclamation

There is no html for a different left and right, plus the area available can't be calculated for a 'center' as with a left align because it depends on the screen resolution on how much space remains on left/right sides.

There are things one can do with a "panorama" type of background that flows from left to right. Just make it very wide - e.g. 1920. Smaller images with tiling can be awkward making it look even (to my eyes of course).

CSS and scripting can also do some tricks here, but one of the problems is that the older browsers just don't work with that. One I liked automatically adjusts a background to a screen size. IOW, it fills the background with the complete image regardless of resolution.

Tim Bowen wrote:

How effective are they really.

Edited 11/20/14 3:01 PM
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM - Response #7

It's true that I can't see the border on my iPad, but when a page is loading it's cool to see the tiled images cover the page momentarily.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.