ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Announcements - Inactives Re-appear

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/12/17 06:14 PM Views: 889 Replies: 8
Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:14 PM

When an announcement is inactive but the expiration date has not been reached, it becomes inactive until I return to the website and then is is automatically active again. Is there someway to prevent this? This site is not "active" yet and I am experimenting with methods of entering announcements so I don't want to change the expiration date if I want to look at a particular announcement again.

Oops, again. The site I am working on is NOT the one to the left but here: http://www.classcreator.com/Redmond-Oregon/class_index.cfm

Edited 02/12/17 6:15 PM
Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:20 PM - Response #1

Hi Jim,

Can you tall me which announcement and date you are seeing this happen on? I'm looking at http://www.classcreator.com/Redmond-Oregon/class_index.cfm

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM - Response #2

The only active announcements should be:

Children's Craft Corner
Temporary Site

All of the others are marked inactive, but if I log out, close the tab and then come back to the home page (not logged in) then there will be many more that are active.

Jim

Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM - Response #3

Try clearing your browser's cache. Only one is active for me - Children's Craft Corner but maybe Temporary Site is the main one? Can't tell as a visitor.

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM - Response #4

It's not just viewing the "inactive" announcements, when I go to edit the site page/announcements the cleared check boxes are all checked from the last time I unchecked them. Would cookies change something in the "Edit Site Pages"?

I tried accessing the site on my laptop and the announcements are all active when only two, now three, of them should be.

It seems that the check box to the left of the announcement on the edit page does not serve a purpose and the only way to control whether it is active/inactive is in the date range of the announcement.

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM - Response #5

I just tested this on your site and all seems to be working as intended. I turned announcements off and checked and all that I turned off were gone. Then I turned them back on. Now, I did not check your start and end dates for the scheduling. IF you have a start date set that has already passed AND either no end date or the end date has not yet been reached, then the announcement will automatically turn back on daily when the script runs that operates the start and end dates for the announcements.

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM - Response #6

I guess that is what I was trying to say is that the only way to inactivate an announcement is to change the expiration date, not by the check box. I can't inactivate an announcement before the expiration date. The check boxes are just a reflection of the green dots - active or not.

Since I am experimenting with setting up the announcement's format I will have to change the date to either see it or not. As this is being evaluated by several people I want to be able to control what announcements are visible.

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM - Response #7

Or simply remove both the start date and the end dates in the announcement. These are not required to have an announcement on. It is just a way to automate the activation and deactivation of your announcements. We have some admins who use this feature to turn content on / off at the start / end of a month or even a season.

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM - Response #8

Thanks. Good suggestion - I will do that.
Jim

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.